Sign in to follow this  
rubyrialto

Choosing Right Car For Caravan

I'm opting out of the company car, the new tax rules mean that if you go for a low emission car the BIK is bumped up to the car allowance level if that is higher. Some of the cars on my list have an extra £1,500 BIK added!

Now I can have net, allowance of around £300 and BIK saving of £220 per month and if the cars engine capacity is over 2 litres get 22p per mile as well. Then at the end of the year claim back mileage relief too.

I'm looking at something 3 or 4 years old, test drove a Freelander today, very nice. Tried a Honda CR V as I thought it would be a smoother drive but it was worse.

Also going to look at a 2 wheel drive Freelander, same power but better mpg.

I looked into leasing but it's a bit like a company car, pay out a load of money for nothing in return especially as I drive around 25k miles per year.

I'm looking at cars with around 50k, bank loans are only around 3% at the moment and I will still have something at the end of three years albeit it might just be kept as a towing tug!

Don't rule out a PCP deal - there are some fantastic deals around at the moment including some at 0% - best of both worlds keep the car if you want to or hand it back after 3 or 4 years

Put a deposit on a 2013 Freelander 2 today it has a LR tow bar fitted too. A front wheel drive version came up locally but unfortunately it had 89k on the clock which was just to high for me.

I'm looking forward to picking it up, just in time as we pick up a new van a few days later!

• Like 1

Still not very sure if I'm ok, I have a Citroën ds4 2. 0 163bhp and tow a Lunar Venus 500/4. Tows very well, Venus is very light for a four berth. 1190MTPLM, just have to watch how I load the van and not to overload it.

Still not very sure if I'm ok, I have a Citroën ds4 2. 0 163bhp and tow a Lunar Venus 500/4. Tows very well, Venus is very light for a four berth. 1190MTPLM, just have to watch how I load the van and not to overload it.

Looking at the kerb weight of the DS4 you are within the recommended 85% so should be fine.

• Like 1

Looking at the kerb weight of the DS4 you are within the recommended 85% so should be fine.

We have a DS4 2. 0HDi but the later 150 'blue' version, the weight is the same as ours roughly at 1485kg, your van should be fine so long as you don't overload it!

We find ours an excellent tow car too, incredibly stable pulling our 1200kg-ish Bailey, happy to leave traffic behind when pulling away from roundabouts etc too!

Edited by FrankBullet
  • Like 1

I like the Freelander 2, it's a huge improvement over the 1. Welcome to the Green Oval club.

• Like 2

few years ago I had a very early Disco 1, it was 3 door, wind up windows and needed the rear floor welded, but couldn't fault the way it pulled a caravan.

Agree the Freelander 2 looks a great car and really good prices compared to other LR products of a similar age.

Put a deposit on a 2013 Freelander 2 today it has a LR tow bar fitted too. A front wheel drive version came up locally but unfortunately it had 89k on the clock which was just to high for me.

I'm looking forward to picking it up, just in time as we pick up a new van a few days later!

It's a good safe choice - now find a good independent that can maintain it, LR dealers will cost a fortune!

• Like 2

Agree, I'm researching that now, checking out who is in East Yorkshire.

My wife refuses to own a car with this name!

I've looked a Tiguan today, there are loads around at very good prices since the new model came out.

Also looked at a Volvo VC60, prices on these are going down with new model out but they do not get great write ups.

Shame you've discounted the Kuga by name alone, our 2l Diesel Powershift AWD is an excellent tow and solo car. Very happy with it.

It's a good safe choice - now find a good independent that can maintain it, LR dealers will cost a fortune!

Excellent advice, LR dealerships are pretty useless near me tbh. I have never seen such expensive incompetence other than Merc who are just as bad around here. I don't know how they make such a pigs ear of it, it's not particularly difficult to get it right. I can only assume they have no organisational skills. Seems ridiculous in this day and age of computer based diaries and reminders that you get forgotten for return calls etc but they manage it somehow. Must just be complacency due to the demand for LR products.

That's good, always tows well. Good on fuel as well 32/35 mpg so I'm happy. Many thanks 👍