Installing A Usb Socket In A Bailey Caravan

Mickey F

Looking for some advice on installing a 12v USB Socket for charging kids ipads etc. I have bought a 10 amp fused one that has a positive/red and negative/black wires. Could I simply connect the two wires to the positive and negative terminals of the leisure battery or is it better to splice into an exhisting three pin socket and if so which wires would I connect to? any advice welcome. TKS

Looking for some advice on installing a 12v USB Socket for charging kids ipads etc. I have bought a 10 amp fused one that has a positive/red and negative/black wires. Could I simply connect the two wires to the positive and negative terminals of the leisure battery or is it better to splice into an exhisting three pin socket and if so which wires would I connect to? any advice welcome. TKS

DO NOT connect it to a 3 pin socket,I assume you mean mains, as you have said it is a 12v USB. The 12v means its dc and NOT ac. If I was you get a qualified electrician to do it for you, before you do some serious harm!!! :blink:

Edited by David P

Swift Elegance 480, towed by a Mitsubishi L200 Barbarian X series 6.

Mickey, perhaps a link to the item you've bought would help us to provide some advice . .. because your 2 choices seem contradictory . .. one is connecting to 12v, the other to 230v !

John

DO NOT connect it to a 3 pin socket,I assume you mean mains, as you have said it is a 12v USB. The 12v means its dc and NOT ac. If I was you get a qualified electrician to do it for you, before you do some serious harm!!! :blink:

You are, of course, right to be cautious but there are many sockets available with USB (and additionally mains) output which connect directly to mains supply.

Sam :beardy:

Why don't you just use what the rest of us do?......a USB adaptor into the 'cigar sockets'...even Baileys must have one or two of those.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

You are, of course, right to be cautious but there are many sockets available with USB (and additionally mains) output which connect directly to mains supply.

As the OP said it has 2 wires coming out of it, black and red, I assume it's 12vdc. If mains it would either have 3 cables or none at all, but places to put a mains input into it. :blush:

Swift Elegance 480, towed by a Mitsubishi L200 Barbarian X series 6.

They don't have a black and a red wire hanging out of them though. A directly connected to the mains connects to the standard twin and earth cable in exactly the same way as any other three pin socket. The transformer for the USB port(s) is built into the socket.

Either a cigarette lighter adapter for a 12v device or a compently fitted replacement (or additional) three pin plus USB socket is the way to go.

We use a very small four plug extension strip on a short cable exclusively for charging in our two iPads and two iPhones overnight whilst touring. The supplied chargers work very well for their intended purpose. We also have a cigar lighter USB plug for the car that can also serve in the caravan.

I know Mickey has already bought a socket . .. but for others wanting easy USB access - try one of these adapters, which still leaves the socket available for normal 3-pin use . ..

post-42316-0-70080200-1496515576_thumb.jpg

John

Edited by Johnaldo

Ahh its for an ipad!

In my experience only high priced Apple chargers and cables work with iphones/ipads long term.

I remember a learned poster indicating i cables have software that needs updated.

Looked up the Apple site could not see a USB charger they were all three pin or cigar chargers.

Appears generic USB port is no good for Apple devices.

Ahh its for an ipad!

In my experience only high priced Apple chargers and cables work with iphones/ipads long term.

I remember a learned poster indicating i cables have software that needs updated.

Looked up the Apple site could not see a USB charger they were all three pin or cigar chargers.

Appears generic USB port is no good for Apple devices.

My cigar socket adapter (non Apple) charges my phone fine using the standard Apple cable supplied with my Apple device.

All Apple OEM charging cables have a standard USB plug on the charger end which plugs into the charger or laptop etc and one or the other of the two proprietary connectors on the other end to plug into the Apple device.

We went to apple store to buy an apple USB for our cigar socket as it was at the time of the fire horror stories

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

My ipad Air mk1 iphone 5 and ipad Air mk1wifi do not like-and will not charge using

1 any generic non Apple cable bought to date.

2 any non Apple USB charger-including Belkin 250AC to 3. 5 volt dc.

They will charge from a Belkin cigar car chargerUSB but no other car charger I have wasted money on.

Thats been my experience to date.