Repair By Swift Before Being Sold As New?

degre007

Hi All

Has anybody come across this before.

We bought our Van new in 2015 Swift Fairway 584. when I took it for its 2nd service I was advised that it had 2 spot repairs to the paintwork on the off side, I had just noticed the discolouring myself on the way to the service dealer.

I pointed out that the Van had not been repaired in my ownership and the guy said it may have been done by the dealer or Swift at the factory.

I have since been in touch with Swift who initially said they would spot repair again and have now said they are willing to Paint the full side.

However I have said that the Van should not have been sold as new as it had been repaired although cosmetic, and I should have been made aware of this at the point of sale- after all we paid for a new van. I would have negotiated a discount had I been made aware of this.

Swift aren't moving on there original offer of a repaint and a very small payment as a gesture of goodwill.

I have now involved my Credit card company as the deposit was paid on my card.

Has anyone got any thoughts on this?

Thanks Paul

Only that I an fairly sure that it is common practice to repair paintwork . ... at least at the swift factory but doubtless others

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

At least they have offered to repaint it,and compensate you.

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

Thanks for the quick reply.

surely something that has openly admitted by Swift to being repaired cannot by definition be sold as New?

Or am i mistaken?

surely something that has openly admitted by Swift to being repaired cannot by definition be sold as New?

Or am i mistaken?

The " lawyers " on here will soon be telling you LOL !! If you are a member of the CMC I would suggest talking to their advice team.

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

degre007

Unless the caravan was purchased direct from the manufacturer it seems to me that Swift have made a reasonable, if not generous, offer to repaint the whole side of the caravan to remove blemishes which had not been noticed for two years.

DeeTee

Like you, I would be disappointed but 2 years have gone by and they have made a gesture to put it right. it seems standard practice that blemishes in new caravans (and in cars) are often 'corrected'(???) before we take ownership. My view is (albeit it reluctantly and disappointing you were not informed) let them re-do the paintwork and move on.

Powrtouch AWD Movers. E & P Compact Levelling System.

Or am i mistaken?

Given the fact that Swift have offered to remediate and some compensation, whether or not the caravan was sold as new is irrelevant.

When my previous swift was 3 years old it was possible to see where a panel had been retouched at manufacture. An area probably 30'' long by 5'' or so wide.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

In 10 years of working on Caravan and Motorhome exteriors, we've come to see all sorts of repairs on brand new Caravans and Motorhomes. We estimate that around 70% of the new jobs we do, we will find a repair. In fact I did a brand new Unicorn yesterday and found a paint repair on the rear panel. (which was seen because the colour match was totally off) We will always point out these repairs to our customers and advise accordingly.

Repairs to Caravans or Motorhomes are totally fine for us, on the condition they are done to a high standard and the paint match is perfect, which most of what we see are.

Now and again we find a repair to a new vehicle that we will reject. By that we will not carry out any paint sealer work to a poor repair, and seal this in, knowing it's going to cause an issue in the future. At this point we will either offer to put the repair right if we can, or send it back to the dealer to be rectified.

When a poor repair fails several years later it does one of two things. It will either show up as a patch that's duller than the rest of the surrounding areas, or it will blister and fracture the painted surface. The first issue we can fix no problem, the second is a bodyshop job and not a quick easy fix.

Edited by Tourershine

As said its quite common for new cars as well as caravans to have rectification work done, I'd be quite happy to let them paint the side.

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

I will give any owner or potential buyer of a new Caravan a top tip when inspecting your exteriors.

Firstly make sure your Caravan is dry and outdoors, preferably in the sun. Using polarised sunglasses, look down all the panels from end to end, get on your knees and look up a panel from bottom to top. Never look directly at a panel and presume it's perfect. Use the sun and the glasses, turning the Caravan if needed and you will see far more imperfections than the naked eye.

Be very suspicious of anyone showing you a Caravan under indoor lights, because they hide issues to the eye.

This is how we inspect new Caravans, and it's how we always find body repairs that the owners never noticed, but will always see once pointed out.

Look at the texture of the surface where you find any issues. The original finish will be different to any painted repairs, and this will be obvious once you look carefully.

All this might seem over the top, but well worth the time taken to inspect judging on the problems our customers get when they don't spot these issues on hand overs.

Lastly, should you find a paint repair from new. This will never show it's head if you either have the Caravan paint protected, or you apply a coat of wax to repair every few months. It's the sun that will deteriorate the repair way before it will deteriorate the rest, hence why they show up as patches. Block the sun with a sealer or wax, and it won't happen.

(anyone that is interested in reading about this in more detail, if you click on our 'Blog' link to our website, which is the highlighted part of my signature below, and scroll through our work blogs, there are several jobs where we find poor repairs, with pictures and explanations)

Every car company has a rectification line. Normal practice.

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

I watched a Skoda video on YouTube part of which showed a quality control inspection in a tunnel that's specially lit to highlight paint imperfections. One has to assume that if an issue is found the car is taken somewhere for it to be rectified, otherwise why bother searching for problems? So, as said, it's standard practice

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Also bare in mind that it's not just the manufactures that carry out these repairs. They can get damaged in transportation and by the dealers when being stored or worked on. It's often obvious to us if the repair is factory or not, because the factory tend to get things pretty much perfect when repairing, where as many outside repairs by 'others' tend to be the ones we reject.

We once went to a new Caravan and noticed that a weight plate was in an obscure place, and when pointed to that it wasn't even on straight, the customer asked us to remove it, because we suspected it was hiding something. It turned out there was a dent behind the plate and after a further investigation by the dealer, they concluded that a sub-contractor delivery driver had damaged the side and hidden it by moving the plate. This always seemed a little odd to us, because the plate was in an obvious place that it shouldn't of been and why had the dealer not noticed this?? So be aware of decals, reflectors and badges put in obscure places. .

In the grand scheme of things, these instances are rare, but they do happen. Most of what we find can be dealt with by us, or the dealer agrees to rectify the problem with no issues. So it's not the end of the world if you do find hidden issues, because they can be fixed.

Edited by Tourershine

Or am i mistaken?

New in this context is in relation to owners and not condition, your caravan had no previous owners and was therefore "New".

As has been said it is normal practice to repair damage, however the quality of the repair is subject to scrutiny.

Swift have made a very generous offer. At this point I doubt if you could claim anything off the CC company as you have had use of the caravan for two years. The onus would probably be on you to prove that you did not have the repair work done somewhere on the quiet. As it is a 2015 caravan more than likely it is covered by the Sale of Goods Act and your contract is with the dealer and not Swift for any claims.

I have to admit that, way back, I put a slight dent in the alloy body panel of one of our Eribas. The dent was exactly in line and underneath two small decals that were generally fitted to Eribas.

At that time Eriba vans were built at the French factory and they also scattered small Eriba decals at random points on the bodywork. So I purchased one of the small Eriba decals and carefully placed it in line with the other two and over the tiny dent. Result, an invisible dent and a smart vertical line of decals beside the door.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Thanks for the replies,

Swift have already admitted that it is a failed repair from the factory, so thankfully I don't have to prove anything and had I had the repairs done myself then it would be going back to the repairer to fix it.

it would appear that this is common practice from your comments and that maybe my expectations of a new Van are wrong.

I was told by the servicing agent that it can take a number of years for a repair to discolour and therefore it was not noticeable at time of purchase.

My contract is with the dealer whom I have nothing but praise for and they were not aware of the repair and swift have openly admitted that they do not tell the dealers if a van has had a spot repair or not.

There have been other issues with the van but all have been rectified under warranty as this paint job will be.

I'll let the CC company pursue it and hopefully agree a better outcome from Swift for not being totally honest and upfront about the Van.

Many Thanks

Just to add the Van has been Paint Sealed from New By the Dealer and yet repairs have discoloured, what is strange is that the spot repairs are brighter than the rest of the side.

Just to add the Van has been Paint Sealed from New By the Dealer and yet repairs have discoloured, what is strange is that the spot repairs are brighter than the rest of the side.

Without seeing the actual repair or the job, it's hard to comment on that.

The only times we've ever seen this happen is if the 'Paint seal" either hasn't been applied correctly, if at all (sadly more common than you'd think) or it wasn't maintained following the paint seal suppliers instructions. (again, very common)

Any job we've worked on that's been paint sealed in one form or another, and maintained correctly always looks great with no issues, even more so the fact your Caravan is only 2 years old. We'd estimate it takes 3-4 years before an original un-protected aluminum side will start to deteriorate. (as little as 18 months for some plastics) So it's hard to say what the actual issue is.

I'm glad they are rectifying it for you though, and i'm sure if it's done correctly, you will be happy with the result. You are very lucky Swift have been so accommodating now the Caravan is 2 years old, not all manufactures can be.

Edited by Tourershine

Just to add an interesting more detailed explanation about repairs to Caravans and what can happen, i've just added a job from yesterday of a Bailey Senator that had previous paint repairs on our blog page https://tourershineblog. wordpress. com

I took some really good photos to show people just how bad a repair can get if not maintained correctly, plus how it's rectified by us.

A little nerdy I know, but I think it's always interesting to read exactly the how's and why's, rather than the guesses and presumptions.

Paul

In car manufacture it is common practice to repair damaged car in the factory and send it through the gate as new. how do I know that I worked for Ford for 20 years.

I'm back in discussion with Swift and will hopefully agree a satisfactory outcome for both parties, I must admit my dealing with Swift have been very good and nothing like some of the issues other people have had with manufacturers.