andrewscott2706

Refillable Gas Bottles

Interesting story. Except it makes no mention of the type of bottle or the method used.

Safefill. .......... The clue is in the product name :rolleyes:

When you get stories like these it makes it difficult to argue ?

http://www. manchestereveningnews. co. uk/news/greater-manchester-news/eccles-morrisons-camper-van-lpg-7154852

Dave

"Mr Doom and Gloom" it seems very obvious he was not using a proper refillable bottle as that could not happen. The gas cannot escape and even if it did it would only be a little bit which would disperse very quickly. I am happy to continue refilling my own bottles knowing that it is very safe. :D

• Like 3

IMO But these companies are not interested in the type bottle and just introduce blanket bans .

Doom and gloom ? Garage forecourts and Autogas was for Lpg powered vehicles and has now almost disappeared as no car manufacturers I know of produce a lpg powered vehicle now and diesel became a cheaper option .

Even lpg conversions on large petrol engines are not so common with the cost of installation outweighing the return for many years and many miles .

I have only seen pumps disappearing not new installations .

I have looked at a £400 fixed system but the places I could refill are reducing and if I am away for 4 months and a refill pump is 1000 miles away is no good .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

John, Google maps? Just enter lpg (for fill ups) and just enter Lidl (for other fill ups)

John GPS for various supermarkets is readily available HERE. Download to your heart's content. BTW regarding the Safefill GPS download it was a real hassle in comparison.

Thanks for the tips.

I really wanted a GPS file so no need of Google or any other Internet based solution Sam.

I did say I had many POI already but from Independent sites and not directly from the Supermarkets themselves.

I have been a member of Pocketgpsworld for ages (although not bothered renewing this year. Their camera coverage I have grown to mistrust. I see cameras that are not listed quite often, especially abroad. Begin to wonder just what I pay for? No proof that anyone adds or amends the data on a regular basis! - Rant over!)

I have downloaded POI from them but also use this site which I think is more comprehensive:@ https://www. gps-data-team. com/poi/france/ It cost me £4. 00 ages ago for life long membership. Arguably not worth it but I've used their POI abroad with success.

If you like messing around it's possible to merge POI lists - tad time consuming but a rainy day and all that. Downloaded as a . csv it's a simple enough job.

However, I just really don't understand why, in this day of GPS, a major (or minor) supermarket chain can't publish a POI listing of all their stores - and keep it current. Surely it would be good for business, particularly from those of us who regularly travel to new areas either here or abroad.

This is Sheet 026 revised July 2016.

http://www. autogasleisure. co. uk/pdf/uklpg. pdf

Would someone point me to a later revision please?

And a second link the the new Red Guide would be appreciated.

Maybe I've missed something. Perhaps new guidelines are still not actually published?

Personally it makes no difference to me. I love my Safefill and see it ass one of the best purchases I have ever made for cost and convenience.

Edited by John_b_45

Safefill. . . .. . .. . .. The clue is in the product name :rolleyes:

Yep Mine has paid for itself many times over.

Yep Mine has paid for itself many times over.

Just had my 7. 5kg filled from almost empty, pulled up to a known local auto gas independent attended pump the guy said this is the fourth Safefill bottle today and aren't they great. 0. 49 per litre £7. 46 to fill, will certainly use him again.

At The Lawns at the w/e both the accessory shop and the Safefill stand had a stack of bottles for sale at a slight (£10) discount, they didn't have many left on Sunday evening!

Have just seen Safefill. Very interested! Given that Calorlite is now £20 a bottle to refill, and there is always some wastage as I generally only take one bottle, a similar size Safefill will cost £10 to fill.

Have just seen Safefill. Very interested! Given that Calorlite is now £20 a bottle to refill, and there is always some wastage as I generally only take one bottle, a similar size Safefill will cost £10 to fill.

Really? Didn't realise there was any Calor Lite left. ..

Has any body tried to fill a gaslow or lpg bottle thats not attached. I. e put in the boot of the car and taken to a lpg stn. obviously u you could hold the nozzle insted of the fixed mount on the side of vanor car?

51 minutes ago, smino0_1 said:

Has any body tried to fill a gaslow or lpg bottle thats not attached. I. e put in the boot of the car and taken to a lpg stn. obviously u you could hold the nozzle insted of the fixed mount on the side of vanor car?

As per Safefill? Yes, that's the whole idea.

• Like 1

Regarding Safefill bottles, I'm maybe starting to regret buying one due to the hassle of getting it refilled  within a 30 mile radius of Whitchurch, Shropshire. Spent 3 hours trying to contact various retailers. Using the retailer contacts on the Safefill website is next to useless. Some retailers flatly refuse to touch such a refillable bottle, others have no idea what Safefill is and the rest think I've come from another planet.

Tries to contact Safefill by phone on several occasions, only to get a recorded message "sorry, this mail box is full". Finally made contact via Facebook and they have no answers, or won't discuss, the out of date and inaccurate info on the retailer part of their website. They offered to send me a copy of the "Red Guide" which apparently details that it's ok for retailers to refill Safefill bottles. Alternatively, they said to look at mylpg. EU which, for my area, is just as bad with inaccuracies and retailers that closed some 3-5 years ago.   Contrary to what was mentioned somewhere else, Safefill have no plans to update their retailer info or release an app. They go on to say that they're in discussions with a major national retailer and no mention of timescale. Great, but if this falls through, then we're all back to square one.

Rant over and will just have to see if waving the Red Guide in front of LPG retailers has any effect.

35 minutes ago, Pebble said:

Regarding Safefill bottles, I'm maybe starting to regret buying one due to the hassle of getting it refilled  within a 30 mile radius of Whitchurch, Shropshire. Spent 3 hours trying to contact various retailers. Using the retailer contacts on the Safefill website is next to useless. Some retailers flatly refuse to touch such a refillable bottle, others have no idea what Safefill is and the rest think I've come from another planet.

Tries to contact Safefill by phone on several occasions, only to get a recorded message "sorry, this mail box is full". Finally made contact via Facebook and they have no answers, or won't discuss, the out of date and inaccurate info on the retailer part of their website. They offered to send me a copy of the "Red Guide" which apparently details that it's ok for retailers to refill Safefill bottles. Alternatively, they said to look at mylpg. EU which, for my area, is just as bad with inaccuracies and retailers that closed some 3-5 years ago.   Contrary to what was mentioned somewhere else, Safefill have no plans to update their retailer info or release an app. They go on to say that they're in discussions with a major national retailer and no mention of timescale. Great, but if this falls through, then we're all back to square one.

Rant over and will just have to see if waving the Red Guide in front of LPG retailers has any effect.

Thanks for that input, Pebble. I've been toying with the idea of getting a Safefill, but according to the various websites I may as well be on the dark side of the moon when it comes to refill stations in South Somerset. I know there are plenty of places in the country, a lot of them I'll be in the vicinity of while on my travels, but which ones are still operating? You'd think that Safefill would want to encourage people to purchase their product by assuring that their cylinders are sustainable.  

For me, the jury is still out whether to go for a refillable or not. This is a great pity, especially now that Calor are currently having issues with their Lites.

• Like 1

Despicable - Another forum member has given me  heads up as to a place that will do Safefill refills but still 50 minutes each way for me but that's the best option so far.

You're quite right about the availability of Autogas which is where the Safefill bottles are generally refilled. They're still few and far between in certain counties and even then, only a minority will handle Safefill. It's bad enough just trying to get a bottle refilled, can't imagine what it's like for car drivers who need Autogas.

Most websites/directories are so out of date that it's a wonder Autogas/bulk tank LPG is still going. I've yet to find an up to date database and then there's the cost. If I'm prepared to travel, I can get Autogas for 55p/lt or more local (?), 78p/lt. And that's before I've even asked the question about Safefill :(.

• Like 1

I don’t think there is anything the slightest bit wrong with the Safefill cylinders.

What is causing the problem is the fact that it’s very easy to buy an adaptor to enable you you refill a cylinder that does NOT have the automatic “cut off when it’s 80% full” safety mechanism.

Most (or almost all) of the LPG retailers are therefore understandably very nervous about the possible come back on them if they permit such a (Calor Type) cylinder to be filled on their premises. In these days of “if something goes wrong it must be someone else’s fault” litigation frenzy  they seem to have adopted the attitude  “If it’s not fitted to the vehicle (Gaslow and such like) then I am not going to allowed it to be refilled on MY premises” Which sadly I don’t blame them for.

SOME enlightened forecourts etc will permit them to be refilled, but sadly such premises are pretty few and far between, and THAT is the only reason I have decided not to go down the Safefill route.

From the various comments made by those who have managed to contact Safefill it would appear they are not being very pro-active in either getting their product more widely accepted OR providing any information to purchasers about active refill points.   Maybe they are giving up on their product?? For the sake of those who have invested in them I hope that is not the case.

Andy

28 minutes ago, Mr Plodd said:

I don’t think there is anything the slightest bit wrong with the Safefill cylinders.

Andy

You're undoubtedly right, Andy, but the issue that Pebble and I have is with finding somewhere convenient to fill the things. I surmise that the fire reported earlier on in this topic was someone overfilling a conventional cylinder; therefore, would you risk your business and the lives of your staff and innocent customers by allowing Joe-public to fill cylinders willy-nilly? No, of course not.

So, Safefill (the company) has to take the initiative get their products universally accepted by LPG suppliers. They must be losing out on hundreds, if not thousands, of customers by being so lax.

Filled my Safefill cylinder today Autogas cost 52p a litre

IIRC, either here or on another forum, the latest "Red Guide" takes into account the refilling of refillable type cylinders.  https://www. energyinst. org/documents/5048

Page 61 makes for interesting reading, with the emphasis on "untrained" staff:

" Portable LPG cylinders

22)  Customers or untrained attendants should not be allowed to fill portable LPG cylinders from the autogas dispenser."

Page 61 then goes on to explain the rationale behind this and page 62 explains the safe use of adaptors.

Yet more debate? :unsure:

Edit - what I can't understand is that if Safefill knew about the UKLPG Code of Practice in 2011, why did they chose to pursue and market refillable cylinders?  www. uklpg. org/uploads/DOC4E7749E87E660. pdf

Edited by Pebble

I travelled 15 miles for my first fill to a non high street LPG supplier. He showed me how to fill and to be honest, there's nothing scary or mystical about the process. When I need a refill I will just go to the nearest forecourt and hook it up. I'll try to stay out of line of site from the cashier.

If they get pissy about it then I'll produce the Safefill leaflet and stay there until they fill it up or fetch a manager, asking them if they wish to retain their employment status.

The Safefill site had a list of retailers and distributors. The distributor from whom I bought the bottle was on the list and recommended a number of local gas retailers.

Good luck with that attitude!

. Just be aware that no forecourt is obliged to serve you and neither are they under any legal obligation to. You can get as stroppy as you like but if they refuse to allow you to fill your Safefill there is NOTHING  you can do to make them. In any “dispute” just who do you expect the manager/owner/operator to agree with? One of their staff or a stroppy customer? The amount of profit on a Safefill refill is hardly going to make the rich is it.

Andy

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Mr Plodd said:

Good luck with that attitude!

. Just be aware that no forecourt is obliged to serve you and neither are they under any legal obligation to. You can get as stroppy as you like but if they refuse to allow you to fill your Safefill there is NOTHING  you can do to make them. In any “dispute” just who do you expect the manager/owner/operator to agree with? One of their staff or a stroppy customer? The amount of profit on a Safefill refill is hardly going to make the rich is it.

Andy

Maybe that would be a violation of my human rights and discrimination against me as a member of the travelling community.

That ought to work. ..

Assuming always that the cashier is even looking out of their window. Unlikely.

Why do people want to refill when they are at home.   We normally refill when out and about so no "wasted" trip.

6 minutes ago, Durbanite said:

Why do people want to refill when they are at home.   We normally refill when out and about so no "wasted" trip.

Good point, Durbanite, but I'd like to be able to do both, at home and away. Also, when I purchased my caravan I planned to go where I wanted to go, and not where there was a Safefill-friendly LPG stockist. And, as others have mentioned, the websites showing stockists are out of date, so I can't even plan my away-days based on them.