First Family Touring Van

Claytonchris2k

Hi,

I am new to this forum today and have started the road to researching as much as possible before purchasing my first family touring van in 6 months time.

I am looking for advice from experienced caravanners rather than expert reviews on a good first used 6 Birth Touring van.

I have been given some advice so could I ask if it's true or false on the following statements. ..

1) I have a Hyundai IX35 2. 0D with a braked towing weight of 2000kg and the car weighs 1999kg (according to the manual) I have been advice to get a van below 85% of the weight of the car that works out at 1699kg but lower the better

2) Keep the length of the van below 22foot as sites charge more.

3) Stay away from Baileys as they are expensive to repair.

4) Stick to a single axle for a first van.

or if you have any personal experience with 6 birth vans I would love to hear from you.

Thank you for reading.

The Clayton family

I'm sure some experienced caravaners will reply shortly but good luck with the search

I am on my first van. I went for a Fleetwood Heritage 640.

The reason I did this is for a few reason. It has fold out bunks at the back, so we put the kids to bed and it has a proper closing door so we still have full use of the van.

0DE9DA05-5F92-470D-97AA-D1BAE0631DA6.png

Or we just leave them as 2 singles for them

7F6BC1EF-26A2-416D-B069-6EBCDF3939B5.png

But it is by no means small. It's twin axle, 8mtrs long and max weight of 1750kgs.

Twin axle is more stable for towing but manoeuvrability when not coupled to the car is limited, even with motor movers fitted.

But much more stable to tow.

0284BF73-F033-4A41-B1BC-D79DDF135187.jpg

The 85% is ideal for beginners but not a law.

I used a towsafe report to check the legal bits.

Tiggy its a really nice van, I've looked at many vans but always been a single axle. thanks for the photos always nice to see other peoples setups

Theres the weight restriction law to conceder for those who passed their test after 97, that's if they haven't done the towing test

http://www. campingandcaravanningclub. co. uk/membership/benefits/courses/becourse/areyoulegal/

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Paul is correct and the example you give of a 2000kg car and a 1700kg van if you have passed your car test in the last 20 years you would be able to legally tow without an additional test.

Check you driving licence for towing restrictions. We need to know what groups you are legal in

The weight advice is spot on but don't get hung up on being a few kegs over the ideal (recommend 85% for new towers. It's advice not law). You will not be short of power.

Never been charged extra for longer van in 50 years at it

Bailey expensive to repair. Cobblers. They are the only main stream manufacturer who have a comprehensive parts web site and shop. They sell parts direct to the public, whereas all the others insist you get bits through a dealer. This can take months and the dealer adds his mark up.

There are no perfect vans. The most important thing is a proper INDEPENDENT damp test. Never trust a dealers report.

Single axle are likely lighter.

Twins are usually longer. Heavier and a motor mover is correspondingly more expensive

If you can find a deal that include all the extra bits and bobs you need it can save you a fortune.

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

Think you might be a bit out on the car weight. According to Honest John,the heaviest IX 35 is 1712kg.

Thanks guys, I passed my test after 1997 so I am having to take my car and trailer test in August so that sides sorted.

I really feel I've had some misunderstanding guided advice about length and bailey vans. Makes looking easier as everywhere I look I see Bailey.

Car weight - I will check again not sure if you have had right model or I've looked at the wrong site

I really am very appreciate of all the help I have already received and sure I have many more questions in the near future. I find the advice section on here very helpful

Thanks again everyone

Best way to establish your cars weight is on a weigh bridge. It will be listed on your v5 document as well. But manufacturers often do not include all model variations.

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

Been on hyundai website again and found this. Am I reading it wrong?

I'm little confused with the site because it says alot less for towing than in the handbook. What a minefield

post-85737-0-62928200-1496442910_thumb.png

Edited by Claytonchris2k

Most caravan traders will have access to a tow car / caravan suitability checker so once you have an idea of what van you are looking at will give you a better idea.

Most caravan traders will have access to a tow car / caravan suitability checker so once you have an idea of what van you are looking at will give you a better idea.

think it's the safest way thanks again

Been on hyundai website again and found this. Am I reading it wrong?

I'm little confused with the site because it says alot less for towing than in the handbook. What a minefield

Looks like an Australia site. They are entirely different as are American cars. I would expect your car o be in the 1700 kgs. Give or take. Exactly what model is it and is it manual or auto. Four or two wheel drive.

Best way to establish your cars weight is on a weigh bridge. It will be listed on your v5 document as well. But manufacturers often do not include all model variations.

v5 says 1533kg that's alot lower than I thought so 85% is only 1303 *sigh* may need a new car

Looks like an Australia site. They are entirely different as are American cars. I would expect your car o be in the 1700 kgs. Give or take. Exactly what model is it and is it manual or auto. Four or two wheel drive.

that's silly as I went on to Co. uk so no idea why it sent me there manual 2wheel Edited by Claytonchris2k

Does limit things. Mine empty is 1480 kgs but mine is a heavy van. Loads of good lightweight vans available.

All I did when looking last year was type in 6 berth caravan on eBay and just flick thorough and make a shortlist of what I liked then looked at weights etc.

Although sure your probably already done this (don't mean to sound like I'm teaching you to suck eggs and all that)

Where are you based? Just go look at a local dealer and have a nosey about

Don't get hung up on the 85% it's only advisable for new towers.

As others said you can tow 110% it's not that part that is illegal.

It's the top part in this report that is the legal bit and maybe the 3rd down.

5011E976-8DBB-47D6-97E4-67190663A916.png

But being new to all this maybe I shouldn't be commenting.

Does limit things. Mine empty is 1480 kgs but mine is a heavy van. Loads of good lightweight vans available.

All I did when looking last year was type in 6 berth caravan on eBay and just flick thorough and make a shortlist of what I liked then looked at weights etc.

Although sure your probably already done this (don't mean to sound like I'm teaching you to suck eggs and all that)

Where are you based? Just go look at a local dealer and have a nosey about

I'm way ahead of you, been doing this for 3 years started to become a family day trip out lol.

Often the simplest is to look at your budget and swap tow cars to something suitable. You have a Sportage and presumably 4 children. Some would say a better option is a Sorento and spend less on an older but good van. Vans are not rocket science. Ignoring the current makes with the star ship enterprise control panels. The features in a 8 year old van are likely to be similar to this years. Only the decor changes year on year with a new game changer about every 10 years.

The last was the introduction of woodless structures starting with Bailey about 2010. Priorities would be for me given I can tow it.

Cost. (No good bankrupting yourself so you can't use it)

Dry

Known history from a reliable seller

Size layout

Condition and decor

Many would advise starting off with a cheap van to see how it goes. And a good independent engineers report may well be the best purchase you buy

Often the simplest is to look at your budget and swap tow cars to something suitable. You have a Sportage and presumably 4 children. Some would say a better option is a Sorento and spend less on an older but good van. Vans are not rocket science. Ignoring the current makes with the star ship enterprise control panels. The features in a 8 year old van are likely to be similar to this years. Only the decor changes year on year with a new game changer about every 10 years.

The last was the introduction of woodless structures starting with Bailey about 2010. Priorities would be for me given I can tow it.

Cost. (No good bankrupting yourself so you can't use it)

Dry

Known history from a reliable seller

Size layout

Condition and decor

Many would advise starting off with a cheap van to see how it goes. And a good independent engineers report may well be the best purchase you buy

as I first van we were looking at something like like this attachment. Want something I can pay out right as you say what's the point of getting one if you can afford to use it.

post-85737-0-58858600-1496484819_thumb.png

Edited by Claytonchris2k

I would recommend purchasing from a dealer rather than a private sale. That way you will have some kind of warranty and redress if the van has problems.

If you choose a make of van built by a company that no longer exists ask questions about spare parts and repairs.

Insist on a comprehensive damp report.

Take your time when finally selecting your new van.

Visit one of the autumn caravan shows to see how designs have evolved and look for layouts that suit your requirements (BUT LEAVE YOUR CREDIT CARDS AT HOME !) Also check out the accessories stands.

When you finally find the van you want - Happy Caravanning.

Volvo V70 D4 Estate automatic Swift Challenger SE 580

Good example. They were light weight. Middle of the road vans. Condition and dryness is everything. Year no where near so much as a car for a value. Just get t surveyed. The world is full of poor people who believed what they were told

Hi Claytonchris, this is a little 'off the wall' but have you considered a 4 berth plus awning and annex which could be used as a bedroom? This will give you access to many more vans. I realise that it will be very dependent on when and where you plan to go caravanning and how old the kids are. I wouldn't like to put two youngsters in the annex or if you are touring early or late it may be a little chilly. Just a thought.

1) I have a Hyundai IX35 2. 0D with a braked towing weight of 2000kg and the car weighs 1999kg (according to the manual) I have been advice to get a van below 85% of the weight of the car that works out at 1699kg but lower the better

2) Keep the length of the van below 22foot as sites charge more.

3) Stay away from Baileys as they are expensive to repair.

4) Stick to a single axle for a first van.

1. Going by your other information about the car weight personally i would have no problem getting a caravan around the 1500kg mark. Some see the 85% as gospel (i think its a load of old bull) loaded properly and driven with care you shouldnt have any issues. The IX35 is a pretty good tow car and with a maximum towing capacity at 2000kg it should handle the caravan well. Also you will really be limiting your choices of 6 berth caravan keeping to around 1300kg.

2. I tow a big TA which is 24ft long and never had any issues of sites charging more. I read somewhere some places in france do but very few and far between.

3. At the age you are looking at the repair costs will all be much of a muchness. Virtually all caravans use the same chassis and internal fittings such as heaters, cookers etc. Its only when if you damage the body work it really varies on the availability and affordability of replacement (new or secondhand) but this is almost model dependent.

4. I wouldnt shy away from a twin axle, imo they tow a lot nicer however they are a pig to handle without a motormover manually.

Also i would be buying privately at your budget there are plenty of decent vans around, i would just buy something that has been serviced regularly. During the service they should do a full damp report which would highlight any issues. You can tell a lot from the people when you go and pick it up.

As a guide try entering your details in here http://www. towcar. info/outfitmatch. php I find it usually gives apretty good idea of what to expect with any outfit.

Ssangyong Korando Sports SX / Adria Altea 472DS Eden