Anyone Heard Of This - Foreign Plates (anything But Spanish) Are Permitted Only 30 Days In Spain?

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

The link doesn't work for me Phil . .. Facebook links aren't usually reliable as most members don't normally log-in . .. can you find whatever it is elsewhere?

John

OK i will try, copied this from an ex Pat fb site.

Foreign plates (anything but Spanish) are permitted ONLY 30 days in Spain. Rule changed from 180 days only 2 months ago!!! You have been warned, If caught you will be fined 500 euros, car impounded for almost six months at 9 euros per day until the vehicle is on Spanish plates! Its not expensive to import your car and there are many good agents here to help you. So dont delay or lose your vehicle!!!😭

Edited by phil1041

Light travels faster than sound, thats why some people appear bright, until you hear them speak.
Mine : Mercedes GLC 250d AMG, Lunar Clubman SB, Rockwood 5th Wheel Trailer, La Manga Spain.

Foreign plates (anything but Spanish) are permitted ONLY 30 days in Spain.

Are you sure that this isn't a rule which applies to people who have moved to Spain and bought a property. To force every foreign driver to leave the Country within 30 days would be devastating to their tourist industry. I spend four winter months there every year and my friend has just arrived home after spending 6 months.

Edited by Jaydug

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Not sure at all, I too spend 6 months in Spain, so I too am hoping it is nonsense, just wondered if anyone else has heard of this so called new rule.

Phil.

Just asked my mate out there if he had heard of it. ...no.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

I too spend all winter (October to April) in Southern Spain and have heard of this before, from so called experts, and warned that I could lose my car.

However, as far as I'm aware, this applies to those who have become or applied to become residents and intend to import their UK registered vehicles, but haven't done so in the allotted period of 30 days!

Unless they have ANPR at every entry point, with every Police or Guardia Force able to instantly access the Data Base, how would they know how long you have been in the country?

B)

Are you sure that this isn't a rule which applies to people who have moved to Spain and bought a property.

I have searched the Web and I am sure you are correct. It applies to people who intend to move to Spain.

What the law stipulates

"The first point you should keep in mind is that the law states you may only drive in Spain with foreign plates for 30 days. If the police stop you, they will probably ask you for proof of entry into the country (e. g. a ferry ticket) that shows you have not been in the country more than a month.

After this time, if they stop you and find out that you are a legal resident of Spain but still have not begun to register the vehicle, the car will be impounded and you may by subject either to a fine or to a report that you have broken Law 38/92, which deals with special tax evasion."

knarf

After this time, if they stop you and find out that you are a legal resident of Spain but still have not begun to register the vehicle, the car will be impounded and you may by subject either to a fine or to a report that you have broken Law 38/92, which deals with special tax evasion.

The Spanish authorities started their clamp down on foreign residents more than a year ago. Having spent four months of each year in Spain for a long time, I knew an English guy who had lived in Malaga province for a long time. On my last visit in November I noticed he'd got rid of his Pug 406 and bought a local reg. Ford Ka. He'd ran his 406 on its UK plates for years - no doubt without any tax or MOT or ITV

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Not that I am likely to go to Spain ever again,certainly not as a driver, I find this debate interesting enough to contact my old school friend who lives between UK & Spain in medium sized bites. ...he said no,as above. ..

Knarf/Jaydug,as usual on the mark. ...this site has useful stuff on it and unlike much of Google is recent (April)....

http://www. healthplanspain. com/blog/expat-tips/350-driving-your-uk-registered-car-in-spain. html#.WTF0pPnysnQ

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

You can drive on UK plates as a member of the EU for 182 days perhaps they are just being a bit premature ?

http://www. cars4spain. com/importingcarstospain. php

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Dave

I think you will find 182 days applies to visitors and NOT to anyone taking up permanent residency.

See post #8 from Knarf

Andy

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

more panic over nothing. I asked the local guardia trafico they said the story is rubbish.

van Bessacar 625 towed by Mercedes M class 3. 2 cdi.

we do 6mths at home (winter) 6mths touring (summer)

Retired & loving it.--------- :D Adventure before Dementia. :P

Foreign plates (anything but Spanish) are permitted ONLY 30 days in Spain. Rule changed from 180 days only 2 months ago!!! You have been warned, If caught you will be fined 500 euros, car impounded for almost six months at 9 euros per day until the vehicle is on Spanish plates! Its not expensive to import your car and there are many good agents here to help you. So dont delay or lose your vehicle!!!

If that's true it means Spain has withdrawn from the Vienna Convention and the EU Single Market - you'd expect that sort of thing to get more publicity.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES