Sign in to follow this  
MartynL

Tow Car For Bailey Unicorn Cadiz 2013

I'm towing the caravan above with a Land Rover Discovery 2. Our main car an aging VW Golf needs replacing so looking at one car to do both the towing and be our main car. I want to go with a Skoda Octavia from about 2013-2016. Anyone got some feedback on this combination? I look at tow car ratios for towing with an Octavia and they don't look great so want direct input from people that are doing it in the real world. Details of the exact Skoda car would be useful. I may even reduce the tow car by going to a Bailey Unicorn Seville S2 if it helps.

Edited by MartynL

Around that time Skoda started quoting kerbweight not including 75kg allowance for driver or any fuel in the tank. This made the new generation of car's look much lighter than their predecessors, on paper. Why Skoda did it I can't figure, but I've just purchased a 2017 Yeti and they appear to have reverted back to the more normal definition of kerbweight including driver and fuel.

From what I can see that model Cadiz had an MTPLM of 1593kg and the 2 litre Octavia's had a Towing Limit of 1600kg. So the van would be within limits, but only just. I'd prefer a bit more leeway. That's why I went for my, now departed, V70 with it's 1600kg limit to pull our Rimini of 1499kg MTPLM.

The Rimini may be going later this year and is paid up for store n site at Wheathill 'til next Feb.

From what I can see that model Cadiz had an MTPLM of 1593kg and the 2 litre Octavia's had a Towing Limit of 1600kg. So the van would be within limits, but only just. I'd prefer a bit more leeway. That's why I went for my, now departed, V70 with it's 1600kg limit to pull our Rimini of 1499kg MTPLM.

The Rimini may be going later this year and is paid up for store n site at Wheathill 'til next Feb.

The MTPLM of my 2013 S2 Cadiz is 1498kg and plated as such.

I have the 2012 Skoda Octavia Estate 2. 0TDi 4x4, weight given in handbook is the same as the V5C mass in service 1,495kg, tow limit 1,600kg, torque 320nm @ 1,750 - 2,500rpm. GVW 2,095kg, GTW 3,695kg. From 2014 they are a bit lighter, but with a 2000kg tow limit!

Edited by Czech connection

Bear in mind that the Octavia - brilliant car that it is - is based on the Golf chassis so has limitations. On the other hand the Superb - which is superb - is the same chassis as the Passat.

The 2L 150bhp TDi BMT (B8) Passat estate is rated to tow 1800Kg with a nose weight of 90Kg (Westfalia bar.) We have the earlier B7 estate 140bhp and it tows our Peg 462 (1490Kg) with ease getting about 28mpg (50+mpg solo.) The B8 is available in 150/177(190?)/256bhp although I suspect the 256 might be a bit frightening!

The nice thing about the Passat estate is that, being 4. 77m long with the nice heavy engine being well forward, the caravan has very little effect on the straight line tow so you don't have to be too careful about where you put the weight in the van. This is our second and we might well look at having another come next year. Having said that the new Skoda Kodiaq looks quite good, from our point of view it being on the same chassis but longer than the Tiguan - useful to be able to get 4m planks inside!

Edited by Woodentop

Thanks for the input so far. I was thinking of the Superb as well so I'll edit my original post. - it wont let me edit now!

Edited by MartynL

I have the 2012 Skoda Octavia Estate 2. 0TDi 4x4, weight given in handbook is the same as the V5C mass in service 1,495kg, tow limit 1,600kg, torque 320nm @ 1,750 - 2,500rpm. GVW 2,095kg, GTW 3,695kg. From 2014 they are a bit lighter, but with a 2000kg tow limit!

I did see this model. I'll have a look at it, thanks.

The 2012 model would, presumably, be the pre-facelift model before Skoda went weird on the kerbweight. I quoted the 2 litre 2013 on model Tow Limit as that is one of the more easily found models, the 4x4 being a rarer beast.

The 2012 model would, presumably, be the pre-facelift model before Skoda went weird on the kerbweight. I quoted the 2 litre 2013 on model Tow Limit as that is one of the more easily found models, the 4x4 being a rarer beast.

I mentioned this in another post of yours about Skoda kerbweight, Lutz also replied. In the Handbook it does state the kerbweight includes 90% tank of fuel and 75kg driver, but then in the tech spec. it states 'unloaded weight ready for work!' 1,495kg no mention of kerbweight, that weight of 1,495kg is the same as the V5C mass in service, confusing!

My comments are based on the original facelifted Octavia brochure where the tech spec table had a footnote that the quoted kerbweight did not include a driver or fuel allowance. I wrote on here at the time that it seemed an odd set of figures to use. Whether the same figures were used on the V5 or were later amended to include the more 'normal' stats, I wouldn't know.

Just to clear up the chassis comments.

The last model Octavia used the Golf Platform, it just had a bigger boot. The last model Superb used the Passat platform but the Asian market model with extended wheelbase.

The current Golf, Octavia, Passat and Superb all use the MQB platform which is modular.

The Octavia is now a significantly bigger car than the Golf and has a longer wheelbase. The Superb again has a longer wheelbase than the Passat.

Depending on model and engine you can end up with basic beam axle rear suspension or fully independent alloy suspension

Although the cheaper setup is on smaller engined models that are not really suitable for towing 1500kg,

Lee

Not sure how new your looking for, but Skoda did a superb estate outdoor & plus model around 2012 also a Limited edition model to celebrate cycling.

I liked the blue colour but its not heavy enough for my caravan.

Just an update- we went to look at the Skoda and my wife wasn't keen. It looks like now we're going for a Tiguan

• Like 1

Ended up buying a Tiguan and towed it today. Perfect for towing our Bailey

• Like 3

I went into my local dealer, expecting to buy a Tiguan - it looked perfect for us.

The salesman was such an backside that I walked out. I wanted to know the kerbweight, and because it wasn't on his ipad, he decided to take the line of 'it doesn't matter what the kerbweight is. VW have certified it good to tow 2200Kg, and you're a muppet for wanting to know anything else'. When he roped a few of his mated in, I walked out before I got really angry.

The Audi dealer next door (same chain) couln't have been more different.

• Like 1

I had a good experience and was pleased with the salesmans help and general handling. At present we're on a site having towed 130 miles faultlessly. Returned 27mpg

• Like 1

For what it is worth at the Bailey owners club rally this week there were

8 Sorento

1 Sportage

1. Tiguan

1 Ford Edge

2 Jeep

2 Discovery

2 Pathfinder

1 Yetti

1 Kia Sedona

Some saloon cars

About 10 motor homes

• Like 1

I've just changed from an Audi Q3 to a VW Tiguan for towing our Bailey Cabrera. Love it, you forget the caravan is on the back.

I've just changed from an Audi Q3 to a VW Tiguan for towing our Bailey Cabrera. Love it, you forget the caravan is on the back.

I had a good experience and was pleased with the salesmans help and general handling. At present we're on a site having towed 130 miles faultlessly. Returned 27mpg

I've just been to Devon towing the Caravan. ( it was only a week old ). MPG towing was 29.

For what it is worth at the Bailey owners club rally this week there were

8 Sorento

1 Sportage

1. Tiguan

1 Ford Edge

2 Jeep

2 Discovery

2 Pathfinder

1 Yetti

1 Kia Sedona

Some saloon cars

About 10 motor homes

Wow. I can only be impressed you counted! :rolleyes:

Was it raining at the time? :ph34r:

Wow. I can only be impressed you counted! :rolleyes:

Was it raining at the time? :ph34r:

Nope. But there was a competition that entailed visiting each van. Sounds childish but it works on many levels. Biggest trouble was we get chatting and that leads to a drink or two and well, let's say it took a while. Overall two days SWMBO tells me but she exaggerates. Just wrote down the make as we went.

• Like 1

I have a Jaguar XF 2.2 litre automatic 8 speed gear box. It's a really good tow car for our Unicorn Cadiz. I think it actually won tow car of the year recently. I had fitted a witton removable tow bar and the light socket is hinged to swing up out of site so that when the towbar is removed and the socket turned up there is nothing visible from behind. The tow bar cost £550 supplied and fitted at UK Towbars March Cambridgeshire if anyone is interested.

I wonder what some people find so obnoxious about a towbar ? I find it protects my bumper often from other people parking to close and also when I am reversing. Not a critisisim just wondered? I have a new (5months) BMW X5 M40i with a fold up towbar , I always leave it down.