Sign in to follow this  
portchieboy

Off To Holland On Monday

First time to Holland, taking my Pastiche over from Harwich, with sites booked near Utrecht, Gronongen and Delft.

Lots to see and do over there, hope the weather is kind!

• Like 1

Hope that you will have a wonderful time in Holland, we haven't done Holland yet with the caravan as we mostly explore France! But maybe we will take a look.

Andrew

We've been twice - didn't think I would like a "flat" country, but it's fab for riding the bikes! Will definitely return.

Hope you have a great time, we are doing the same crossing next Friday

Be aware that in the Netherlands you must have your breakaway cable attached to your towbar - looping it around the ball shaft is not acceptable and will result in an on-the-spot fine.

I hope you are not disappointed by Delft. We think of it as a major place for the production of high quality porcelein but it is really not much more than a suburb of The Hague. You may have to search for the pottery - it is in a back street.

Whilst at Delft you should visit Dordrecht which is a fabulous city, and the WHS windmills at Kinderdijk - only about 25Km.

Travelling north consider detouring via Amersfoort and Apeldoorn which are - believe it or not - in the highland area of Gelderland which is exquisite.

• Like 1

Dank U Vell. Means thank you very much

All Stu Blift means Please

• Like 1

Be aware that it's Whitsuntide (Pfingsten in German and Pinksten in Dutch), it's a major Bank Holiday in Germany and literally thousands of German campers will be heading to Holland today, all the campsites will be full and the traffic on Monday will be horrendous.

• Like 1

Be aware that in the Netherlands you must have your breakaway cable attached to your towbar - looping it around the ball shaft is not acceptable and will result in an on-the-spot fine.

I hope you are not disappointed by Delft. We think of it as a major place for the production of high quality porcelein but it is really not much more than a suburb of The Hague. You may have to search for the pottery - it is in a back street.

Whilst at Delft you should visit Dordrecht which is a fabulous city, and the WHS windmills at Kinderdijk - only about 25Km.

Travelling north consider detouring via Amersfoort and Apeldoorn which are - believe it or not - in the highland area of Gelderland which is exquisite.

This has been much debated and the CC got involved, I believe this only applies to Dutch registered vehicles.

Op if you can make it as far as Eindhoven, beautiful city and the Phillips factory museum is well worth a visit.

This has been much debated and the CC got involved, I believe this only applies to Dutch registered vehicles.

Op if you can make it as far as Eindhoven, beautiful city and the Phillips factory museum is well worth a visit.

I think it is irrelevant where the vehicle is registered, mines registered in Germany and ADAC have advised me that I must positively attach my breakaway cable to my vehicle whilst towing in the Netherlands. I/they could be wrong but I wouldn't risk it.

The two occasions that we have visited the Netherlands (2013 & 2014) our breakaway cable was looped over the ball and we were never stopped for checking. We travelled via Dunkirk though, so if the authorities were checking at the Dutch ports we would've missed them. Coincidently, we have now found the little hole on our tow bar to attach the cable to and have done so on our last two outings!

We spent a wonderful break just outside Veere with the caravan. Not a large site, no entertainment, excellent sanitary/washing facilities and peaceful. We cycled everywhere and visited Veere everyday. Veere is a lovely little place with a nice inlet for boats, cafe, restaurants and great views across the sea. Middleberg is a much bigger town not far away from Veere and again we cycled in. Great on market day and apple cake galore with a cup of coffee.

Domburg is on the coast and again a lovely town with a walk along the beach a must.

We travelled up and down the 'fingers' of the Netherlands visiting many places and would thoroughly recommend. The journey across these fingers is also interesting as we went through tunnels, over a vast bridge, along the coast roads and by a little ferry. We commented that this visit was done when our children had grown up and didn't come with us, but if we had gone when they were younger, so. many different routes across the country would have stopped the never ending question, "Are we nearly there yet?"

Maybe worth a stop en route to your final destination.

Bergamo

• Like 2

The Dutch cuisine isn't the greatest of European offerings, they deep fry everything. Frikandel (a type of sausage), Kibbliing (fish), Spare Ribs, Sate Kip (chicken) and mussels will be on every menu in every restaurant you go in and eating out in the Netherlands is not cheap, certainly more expensive than the UK.

If you don't want to eat horse meat avoid 'Paardenvlees', although I quite like it.

One of the sites we stayed at was near Ziereksee, in the Zeeland region, and it was right next door to the Great Flood Museum - well worth a visit. We cycled everywhere and went on a Mussel trawler (free) as we were there during the annual Mussel Festival (end Aug). The trawlers all sail out to an island to find Neptune and bring him back ashore. It's a traditional celebration and the town and port is buzzing with activity - well worth it.

We also travelled, by car, out along the vast flood barriers (their name has escaped me at the moment), but they are fantastic to see and you can stop half way across and enjoy the fresh Kibling, mentioned above, and purchase fresh seafood in the equivalent of a farm shop. We really must go back!

• Like 2

Holland is superb, we went over from Harwich last October and are going back this year. Delft isn't very exciting and we weren't that impressed with Amsterdam but Utrecht is wonderful and a trip up the Afsluitdijk is well worth it, and the beautiful Volendam.

Be wary of speed limits on the motorways they are all over the place, 100. ..130. ..120. ..100. ..110 it's a bit of a pain.

We also went over to Arnhem, well worth the trip on my view.

One of the sites we stayed at was near Ziereksee, in the Zeeland region, and it was right next door to the Great Flood Museum - well worth a visit. We cycled everywhere and went on a Mussel trawler (free) as we were there during the annual Mussel Festival (end Aug). The trawlers all sail out to an island to find Neptune and bring him back ashore. It's a traditional celebration and the town and port is buzzing with activity - well worth it.

We also travelled, by car, out along the vast flood barriers (their name has escaped me at the moment), but they are fantastic to see and you can stop half way across and enjoy the fresh Kibling, mentioned above, and purchase fresh seafood in the equivalent of a farm shop. We really must go back!

The Zeeland region is great as are the locals, we go at least 8 times a year as its only a 3 hour drive from our house, avoiding it this weekend due to the German Bank Holiday, it will be too full so we're going to Luxembourg instead.

The land 'causeway' between the islands of Zeeland at 'Brouwersdamm' is great, you can park your caravan virtually on the beach for free (you're not allowed to spend the night) and there are Kibbling (Fried Fish) vans every 500m.

• Like 1

There have been reports of Police sitting outside Europort and stopping UK registered vehicles to check the breakaway cable connection, so YPYMATYC.

Thanks to everyone for the input. ....just what I had hoped for!

Don't call it Holland when you're not actually in Holland (Holland is a split Province, North & South Holland and refers to 2 of the 12 Dutch provinces), the country is the Netherlands. Just over the border from me (15 minutes away) the Dutch Province is Limburg, they don't like being refereed to as Holland. Utrecht is not only a city but also a province, Brabant, Gelderland, Drenthe etc are some of the others.

• Like 1

We travel to the Netherlands on September 1st. I see the Zundert flower parade is on the Sunday,anyone visited it?

John.

Don't call it Holland when you're not actually in Holland (Holland is a split Province, North & South Holland and refers to 2 of the 12 Dutch provinces), the country is the Netherlands. Just over the border from me (15 minutes away) the Dutch Province is Limburg, they don't like being refereed to as Holland. Utrecht is not only a city but also a province, Brabant, Gelderland, Drenthe etc are some of the others.

Yet the Dutch market themselves as 'Holland'in the UK because it conjures up a much pleasanter image to the British than the Netherlands. Images of windmills, clogs, cheese, tulips, bicycles and so on are all images of that word 'Holland'.

I didn't make this up, I asked the Dutch tourist board some time ago about Holland/Netherlands business and this is the information I received. So when I go there, I go to Holland. Website below:

http://www. holland. com/global/tourism. htm

I wonder if they market themselves as 'Holland' in other countries, or is it an English speaking thing.

Gordon

Yet the Dutch market themselves as 'Holland'in the UK because it conjures up a much pleasanter image to the British than the Netherlands. Images of windmills, clogs, cheese, tulips, bicycles and so on are all images of that word 'Holland'.

I didn't make this up, I asked the Dutch tourist board some time ago about Holland/Netherlands business and this is the information I received. So when I go there, I go to Holland. Website below:

http://www. holland. com/global/tourism. htm

I wonder if they market themselves as 'Holland' in other countries, or is it an English speaking thing.

Gordon

And yet when I referred to being in 'Holland' when talking to a campsite owner it was made very clear that I wasn't in Holland, I was in 'The Netherlands'.

Obviously Tourist Board speak as when we are in France with lots of Dutch they refer to their home country as the Netherlands.

'What's in a name'

Agree about Utrecht, we have spent some time there too but not with the van but hotel.

We had the car with us and purchased a second hand Dutch bike from a little shop at a bargain price. Still use it now!

Obviously Tourist Board speak as when we are in France with lots of Dutch they refer to their home country as the Netherlands.

'What's in a name'

Tourist Board speak because they feel it makes money. Good luck to them.

What's in a name? I fully understand the Dutch point of view, and accept the correct name is The Netherlands, but it's not an attractive name in its literal sense, hence the tourism thing. If they market themselves as Holland I don't think it is going to go away.

Gordon

Holland is technically one of the regions of the Netherlands. Before Belgium came into being Holland as then was included most of what we now know as northern Belgium and the capital was Mechelin.

Regaarding the thorny issue of breakaway cables: I spoke to the CMC last year about just that issue, as we have a removeable swan-neck towbar & nowhere to attach a cable. I received a copy of the email from ANWB to our CMC, relevant paragraphs below:

From ANWB to Travel Info at CMC:

Dear Hazel,

The rule concerning the break cable is part of the legislation concerning the equipment and requirements of cars and trailors. This legislation does not hit foreign cars and trailors.

Because this particular rule is so close to the rules concerning the use of the car, the question is whether every police officer knows the difference between these rules which do not affect foreign cars and the traffic rules, which are valid for all users of the road.

Maarten Dorpema

So to clarify, there is a rule in Holland that a brake cable cannot be wrapped around a tow bar, however, this rule is only specific to cars/trailers registered in Holland, the rule does not apply to vehicles registered in the UK, however, the local police might not know their own rules!

Hope this helps.

• Like 3