Via Michelin

We've always used via Michelin for planning our Continental trips. I have noticed this week that even though "Caravan" is selected in the options menus, the calculated journey time is way out! My TomTom Camper satnav calculates the journey time for Caen/Chauvigny a whole hour longer than via Michelin, though they show identical routes and mileage. Checking closely on an uninterrupted distance of Autoroute via Michelin is using a travel speed which would be illegal for both classes of car/caravan outfits. So if you use via Michelin, beware!

Ern

Beware of using Google maps too - as their time calculation is way out! I must admit to not noticing any change in Viamichelin (which we use) but perhaps that's because we no longer tow huge distances with the caravan because it's stored in France these days, so rarely bother looking at timings.

As I always use Viamichelin I have just tried it:

With just car Calais to St Gervais les Bains either 548 miles take 7. 59hours cost £126. 89 or other route 552 miles 8. 23 hours £119. 92

With caravan same routes take 8. 53hours cost £167. 99 and other route take 9. 19 hours and cost £162. 42

So I don't know what went wrong for you but it works for me.

Kia Sorrento towing a Coachman VIP 575/4

Our blog: jennyandjohngocaravanning. wordpress. com

As I always use Viamichelin I have just tried it:

With just car Calais to St Gervais les Bains either 548 miles take 7. 59hours cost £126. 89 or other route 552 miles 8. 23 hours £119. 92

With caravan same routes take 8. 53hours cost £167. 99 and other route take 9. 19 hours and cost £162. 42

So I don't know what went wrong for you but it works for me.

548 miles in 8. 53 hours = 64MPH average speed. I think most of us are limited to 56MPH, so the average would be somewhat less than that.

Ern

548 miles in 8. 53 hours = 64MPH average speed. I think most of us are limited to 56MPH, so the average would be somewhat less than that.

We might with our 'vans that push many of us into using heavier towcars with over 3500 kgs GVW, so face 80 & 90 kmh restrictions.

However, the locals tend to have tow vehicles falling under 3500 kgs GVW and these are no more speed limited by national speed restrictions, 130 kmh, than cars, unless locally signed as speed restricted towing.

Therefore, from a speed limit point of view Via Michelin is unlikely to load a towed unit for that, only such things as realising they can't climb hill, do corners and accelerate away quite as running solo.

Edit: and of course we have got ourselves all stitched up with a belief in keeping under or near an 85% ratio, whereas our continental friends buy a car just capable of the job, thus more are below the "magic" 3500 kgs GVW, which dictates trailer towing speeds.

Edited by JTQ

You are right, at least in our case, that we would never even do that sort of speed leave alone average it. We usually work on 50 mph average on motorways. I never thought to check the average mileage but was just saying that Viamichelin shows a difference for a caravan for me.

Kia Sorrento towing a Coachman VIP 575/4

Our blog: jennyandjohngocaravanning. wordpress. com

Hmm. ..don't know if this has changed over the last week or so. I put our planned trip in a couple of weeks ago, and for the various days got the following:

Hook Holland - Saverne = 345 miles, 7 hours = 49 miles/hour

Saverne - Innsbruck = 305 miles, 6 hours = 51 miles/hour

Innsbruck - Freiburg area = 256 miles, 8 hours = 32 miles/hour (pesky Aarlborg tunnel closure)

Freiburg area - Rudesheim = 200 miles, 4 hours, = 50 miles/hour

Rudesheim - Hook = 277 miles, 6 hours = 46 miles/hour.

I took the figures with a pinch of salt in terms of allowing for coffee breaks, but didn't think they came across as licence-breakers. Maybe it's just French motorways it's optimistic about.

On our present soirée through France I have found Michelin maps have quoted far longer times than the sat nav for the same route!

Sat nav, a Garmin, has been far more accurate!

Garmin is only a standard one but regularly updated!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

I've always used via Michelin but completely ignore their optimistic times. I just note the distance and work at an average of 50 MPH and factor in coffee and lunch stops.

You are right, at least in our case, that we would never even do that sort of speed leave alone average it. We usually work on 50 mph average on motorways. I never thought to check the average mileage but was just saying that Viamichelin shows a difference for a caravan for me.

Yes it gave me a difference too, but there's something wrong.

Ern

I've used Viamichelin for a while now. But lately I have not been able to find "Caravan" in the options menu. All I get is Avoidances, Motorways, Tolls etc: Am I missing something or has the Caravan option been removed from the menu?

I've used Viamichelin for a while now. But lately I have not been able to find "Caravan" in the options menu. All I get is Avoidances, Motorways, Tolls etc: Am I missing something or has the Caravan option been removed from the menu?

The option is still there, but not quite as obvious. Put the two locations in, press search, the route summary will appear but ignore it, press options, chose caravan.

Ern

The option is still there, but not quite as obvious. Put the two locations in, press search, the route summary will appear but ignore it, press options, chose caravan.

Thanks Ern. That's exactly what I have been doing. So I tried again, with the same result. It then occurred to me to try Edge instead of Chrome. Guess what? Chrome seems to be the problem. In Edge I get the full options menu, including Caravan.

I've now had a look at viaMichelin and wondered why you were having problems. I use Chrome and don't have a problem. When I go into Viamichelin, via Chrome, my preferred options (distance in miles, car type, fuel type, cost in euros, type of route - I use Economique as my preferred route type - caravans and allow border crossings) are always already pre-selected. When I use Firefox they aren't and I have to select everything again

Using Chrome when I go into some other websites (not secure ones) I can go straight into the website without always having to login and they also display my chosen 'preferences'. When I go through Firefox they aren't, and I have to enter a password and select preferences each time. Maybe if you clear your Cache and Cookies you will be able to open a Viamichelin page where all the options are displayed then choose your options and see if they come up automatically next time? Don't know if this will help, but perhaps worth trying.

Edited by ValA

Have you in-putted the car data i. e. Volvo V70 instead of just selecting small, large or luxury car? We found it fairly accurate although the TomTom is virtually spot on. The TomTom also takes into consideration the height and width of the caravan and I don't think ViaMichelin does this?