What Is The Current Midge Situation Like At Kielder Water Site?

Thinking of heading to Kielder Water CMC site shortly and understand midges can be troublesome June to late autumn. I must have 'midge bait' tattooed on my forehead because they launch themselves at me without mercy. If anyone is there now or who knows the current midge situation can let me know how it is, it would help me decide whether to go or avoid.

Edited by BillySmart

If at first you don't succeed. ... redefine success.

Not sure that they are taking bookings. Some changes going on. Midges do not bother me but I observed others doing the ritualistic Northern Neck Slapping Dance at end of August last year. Give them a call.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

Based on time of year and the weather, i'd say it's a high midge forecast.

I too am a midge magnet, from early May in some places - I've found two things that keep them away but both have major downsides - chain-smoking has obvious drawbacks and high % Deet midge repellent works but destroys the leather in cars!

I'm told that Avon "Skin So Soft" keeps them away - allegedly used by the SAS but that may well be urpban myth.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

Smidge is supposed to be good. But as I said before I heard that they were not taking Touring bookings. Just seasonal and are doing work to extend their lodges, I would give them a call

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

We've been inundated for the last couple of weeks.

To answer BG, we have personally found the Avon stuff completely ineffective.

In fact our "local" midges are so voracious nothing seems to work on them. :(

Defender 90  cruising along with a Coachman Laser 640/4.  :)

Agree about the Avon stuff, useless IMO. Tried 'Smidge' yesterday, surprisingly it did make things a bit more tolerable.

Hymer 545 Luxusline hauled by Audi SQ5 plus.

Don't live far from Kielder, So far so good. We have not had a problem just now. We use Autain made by Avon for the last few years its the most effective we have found for this area.

My wife was doing the garden this morning without problems. I would say go for it, but it will change soon!

As a ps its very dry just now so if your thinking of an awning you will need good pegs.

Enjoy your holiday.

Sunday Times this weekend. ....." Mrs. White's Unstung Hero" everything flying repellent. ....Not cheap at £20 for 250ml. ....

Look on Victoriahealth. com for details. .......they also do a mini-aircraft friendly 100ml spray. ........apparently it contains an Amino Acid that hides you from mozzies etc. ....

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Based on time of year and the weather, i'd say it's a high midge forecast.

I too am a midge magnet, from early May in some places - I've found two things that keep them away but both have major downsides - chain-smoking has obvious drawbacks and high % Deet midge repellent works but destroys the leather in cars!

I'm told that Avon "Skin So Soft" keeps them away - allegedly used by the SAS but that may well be urpban myth.

It used to be good but they changed the formula a few years ago, deodorant containing citronella helps but not as good as the old type Avon woodland fresh skin so soft.

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Avon Skin So Soft works for us . Citronella candles in the caravan helps keeps them out of the caravan in the evenings .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

To be honest I can just about live with the midges but the Clegs are a completely different proposition, vicious is not the word. :angry:

Defender 90  cruising along with a Coachman Laser 640/4.  :)

To be honest I can just about live with the midges but the Clegs are a completely different proposition, vicious is not the word. :angry:

what's the cleg you're referring to - I doubt it's this one http://www. urbandictionary. com/define. php?term=cleg

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

Not sure that they are taking bookings. Some changes going on.

Correct. From the club website:

The site is currently undergoing major site extension works, with the creation of further accommodation types on site, amongst other improvements. Whilst construction is ongoing, the site is unfortunately unable to accept bookings for touring pitches in 2017 and will only be selling seasonal long term pitches for 2017.

We have friends and family in Dunoon and they think the same, we don't seem to be troubled with them in our area thank goodness

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)