Sign in to follow this  
davidbid

Vin Number For Spanish Registration

I am trying to register my 2010 Bailey Pegasus 514 in Spain. The sticking point is the Spanish inspector can't find the VIN number on the chassis and they will not accept the CRiS number on all the windows.

Before this registration process started Bailey didn't seem to know if there is one, or if there is, where it is.

Failing finding the number on the chassis, they want to know which European directive or regulation allows it not to be there.

HELP! So far I am €1750 down and no result.

David B

My vin number is in my handbook.

He's after the chassis number, not the VIN number. Apparently the Spanish will not accept the VIN

We have imported two caravans into Spain.
Both times they have accepted the CRiS number from the registration document.
On the technical report they recorded the chassis number and the hitch number as well as the CRiS number.
All we paid is about €100 for the technical report, the cost of the ITV approx
80, the import tax (based on the weight) of approx 400 - 500, and the Gestor's bill, less than 100.

We were able to produce VAT invoices.
If you are anywhere near Javea, happy to give you names of Gestor and Technical Engineer.
Sorry the EU sign hasnt printed after the numbers.

Admin note:

€ signs added

Before this registration process started Bailey didn't seem to know if there is one, or if there is, where it is.

That's strange as they publish the information on their website - see here.

Bailey Parts & Leisure Accessories

Unit 600 The Quadrant

Ash Ridge Road

Bristol

BS32 4QA

Tel: 03443 264000

Email: Parts@baileyofbristol. co. uk

VIN on windows.jpg Vin on chassis.jpg

You say the Spanish authorities will not accept the VIN on the windows then get them to look at the side of the A-frame just forward of the axle as according to Bailey the unique identity number should be stamped there.

Gordon

He's after the chassis number, not the VIN number. Apparently the Spanish will not accept the VIN

A caravan VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) number, also referred to as; serial number, CRiS number and chassis number is a 17 digit code that is and has been given to each and every caravan made in the UK (and some of Europe) since 1992. The VIN number is unique to each caravan and is used by CRiS to keep a track of who owns what caravan.

Vin number is the chassis number same as a motor vehicle . Vehicle Identification Number says it all .

The 17 digit number on a vin plate is a world wide standard for all vehicles . Usually they only need a CoC .

You might find a plate under the plastic A frame cover but I doubt it as the caravan is marked on the caravan plate by the door .

Buy a vin plate off eBay engraved with the vin number and stick it in the chassis ?

Dave

I've been through the documents for the technical inspection and the ITV (MOT).

The only number that is on the documents is the 17 digit VIN number. But, there was discussion and searching and photos taken at the technical inspection and the ITV/MOT to find the chassis number and the hitch number, as well as the VIN number.

The chassis number is an Al-Ko number (nothing to do with the VIN number) and is stamped on the RHS of the drawbar. The hitch number again is an Al-Ko number and is stamped on the RHS of the hitch.

Davidbid, the two VITAL documents that we had to have were the CRiS registration document (if your caravan has come without one you can obtain a copy in the UK) and an invoice showing that the VAT (Spanish EVA) had been paid. We had to have the invoices because both caravans were new (well the Spanish law changed last year and we had to wait till the caravan bought in 2016 was 6 months old before we could import it) or we would have had to pay the VAT/IVA again! If you bought yours secondhand you might need a slightly different invoice, sorry don't know.

From our experience there is no way you should have paid anything like 1,750

You are welcome to pm me if you would like to see copies of documents etc.

I need to add some more info to my previous post -

The VIN number is also stamped on the chassis, near to the Al-Ko number. I always thought the engineer was searching for the Al-Ko number, maybe I'm wrong and it was the VIN number. Anyway the numbers are almost next to each other so if you find one you find the other.

On our caravan the VIN number is on the RHS of the A frame on the underside of the chassis section 1. 10m back from the tow hitch, the Al-Ko number is on the side of the chassis section 1. 20m back from the tow hitch.

I don't know if that is the standard place to put the VIN number, I presume it is added to the chassis by the manufacturer.

The other item that was very important and was photographed by all concerned was the sticker by the door which shows the VIN number and the weight information.

Any update ? . ......

Dave

It would be wonderful to have the name of the itv technician and Tel no. We are desperate to get the import sorted before the Brexit.  Thanks

All caravans manufactured after 2014 (some since 2012) have to have a statutory plate displaying, among other things, the VIN number. Often it is to be found in the front locker.