2017 Pastiche 575 Fridge Performance

rinkrat

Hi,

First time we have had a fridge on the awning side with a door that when open covers the vents. Can anyone confirm how well the Thetford fridge will cope in the hotter climates during the summer as is standard fitting without any extra fans fitted?

Many thanks

It will suffer in hotter climates, and if the awning is up, also in this country in sunny weather as the temp in the awning gets up to over 100 degrees.

Fridges supplied to the caravan industry for this country use are only really effective up to 32 degrees, after that they suffer and extra ventilation is needed to ensure a good air flow over the cooling matrix.

The Thetford in our previous VIP was on the awning side and seemed to work ok in hot weather on the continent - but we wouldn't have had an enclosed awning - our sides and front are usually removed. You can actually "overcool" it by turning the thermostat up too high - to the point that it heats up! Better to turn the stat down a bit.

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

We have a Vision 450/2 which has the fridge on the awning side. The door doesn't cover the vents when open. We feared that the fridge wouldn't perform well on our trips to southern France but we have had no worries. Through the day we have the front of the awning open. We're soon to set off on our third French trip with this 'van and I'm not expecting any problems.

John.

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

Last year we had a heat wave in the UK, my fridge in our 2016 Pastiche worked fine. I did remove the fridge vents and even with a porch awning erected everything was kept as it should be in the fridge. The freezer part may have not been as cold as it should tho.