Live Aerial Lead. ...?

First time away on a non hook up site in my 3yr old unicorn 3. Have always used the Avtex on mains and never a problem.

But this weekend I can't get the tv to work for very long, an image keeps flashing up on screen saying Low Voltage, switching off. ???

Battery is fine, have solar panel on roof, voltage showing 13. 8

I have noticed that when plugging in the 12 volt lead, the red stand by light doesn't come on. ?

But as soon as I also plug in the aerial lead as well, it does come on. It's as if the aerial lead is forming part of the elecrltric circuit.

Any thoughts. ??

Edited by 250bob

Honda 2. 2 CR-V Auto

Bailey Unicorn Cadiz 3

250 Aprilia

It looks like you have a failed or high resistance earth (-ve) on the supply. The aerial amp has the -ve connected to the co-ax screen so when you plug the aerial cable in the +ve is supplied by the power lead and a proper earth is supplied by the aerial - so it works.

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

I suspect the negative connection to the 12V socket in caravan or the -ve connection and/or wire to TV is poor contact or even a wire broken.

The aerial screen may well be connected to -ve (aka ground or earth) of the caravan dc supply via a very thin wire, resulting in a greater volt drop so the TV shuts down (thankfully as TV current draw might not do the aerial/aerial supply wiring much good.).

Sort out the wiring/cabling issue with the 12V to TV (with aerial disconnected) by examining the wiring etc. ,. A multimeter may be useful and you probably should isolate the 12V supply at master switch when dismantling the supply socket.

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

I suspect the negative connection to the 12V socket in caravan or the -ve connection and/or wire to TV is poor contact or even a wire broken.

The aerial screen may well be connected to -ve (aka ground or earth) of the caravan dc supply via a very thin wire, resulting in a greater volt drop so the TV shuts down (thankfully as TV current draw might not do the aerial/aerial supply wiring much good.).

Sort out the wiring/cabling issue with the 12V to TV (with aerial disconnected) by examining the wiring etc. ,. A multimeter may be useful and you probably should isolate the 12V supply at master switch when dismantling the supply socket.

I have plugged in another plug into the socket, it's the plug I use to charge iPhones, has a USB socket on it, AND a red light. This light illuminates when plugged into this socket, so does that tell me the wiring to the socket is ok, and that fault probably lies with the 12v cable to the tv. ??

Honda 2. 2 CR-V Auto

Bailey Unicorn Cadiz 3

250 Aprilia

I have plugged in another plug into the socket, it's the plug I use to charge iPhones, has a USB socket on it, AND a red light. This light illuminates when plugged into this socket, so does that tell me the wiring to the socket is ok, and that fault probably lies with the 12v cable to the tv. ??

Maybe to most likely.

But a poor contact / inadequate negative at socket may work ok for a USB charger at low current but the TV trying to draw more may still not work. Does the device actually charge up a phone in the socket?

It is also possible the TV plug negative is not making good contact in the socket for some reason? Neg is the outer cylinder bit, pos the centre pin.

Use of a multimeter on ohms range may be able to tell more about the TV lead by comparing the resistance of positive to that of the negative.

Alternatively, you need to find another Avtex owner who is willing to see if your lead works in their TV or vice versa.

Edited by Rodders53

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

If I plug in the other lead that comes from the 3 pin plug via a transformer, is that also likely to only work if the aerial lead is plugged in. ??

Honda 2. 2 CR-V Auto

Bailey Unicorn Cadiz 3

250 Aprilia

If I plug in the other lead that comes from the 3 pin plug via a transformer, is that also likely to only work if the aerial lead is plugged in. ??

Hi Guys,

Back home where I can now spend a bit of time investigating the problem.

I have had the battery on charge now for 24 hours and it is showing 13. 9 to 14. 0 on the van read out gauge. . . .that is with the hook now off again. I have no doubt as its a new battery, that it is pretty well fully charged.

Plugging in the suspect lead again showed the same fault, the tv showed low power sign, then switched off again. I also notice the volts read out drops to 13. 2 the moment I plug in the lead to the tv. Note that I have still to plug in the aerial cable to make the circuit.

I have found this cable on ebay. . . .do you think this is the one I need for my Avtex 163DR tv. . . ??

http://www. ebay. co. uk/itm/12v-4-Pin-Car-Cigarette-Lighter-Adapter-lead-for-LED-TV-in-car-adapter-charger/201421001384?_trksid=p2047675. c100005. m1851&_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM. MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D44293%26meid%3Db602037185c746089ddc3b39055d9e10%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D390682123386

Thanks

Bob.

Edit. ...note that when I plug in the other similar cable, the one that comes via the 3 pin plug and transformer. .....it does not need the aerial plugging in for the red light to come on on the tv. Does this again point to the non transformer lead being at fault.

Edited by 250bob

Honda 2. 2 CR-V Auto

Bailey Unicorn Cadiz 3

250 Aprilia

You still have 'surface charge' on the battery: Fully charged is 12. 7-12. 8. Volts will drop given lots of time, or a few minutes of a decent load to disperse that charge. (e. g. 50-100 W of incandescent lamps).

No the fact the mains adapter works fine does not prove the 12V cable is faulty for certain. It may still be the caravan 12V socket or 12V wiring. Again a decent load on that 12V socket may show it is fine. .. incandescent lamps or a tyre pump perhaps? Ideally monitoring the volts at the socket with a meter while drawing a good current (not just a USB charger).

Best ask the eBay seller for assurance it is correctly wired for your make/model of TV. Or buy one that states it is, or from the TV set makers/their dealers/retailers. Retailer may be able to check/test your lead?

This morning I thought I would have another look at the lead, and unscrewed the cigar lighter type plug.

This revealed two soldered wires, which on the face of things looked ok.

However, I wondered if that when it was screwed back up, that the two wires, which were a little bare, were perhaps touching.

So, I put some insulating tape around one of the wires, to ensure there was no possibility of a short.

Guess what. ...yes. ......it worked.

I know have power to the tv without having to also plug in the aerial lead.

Have it on test in the caravan as we speak, on the drive, and will see how it goes during the day,

Battery is off hook up/charge, and is fully charged after being hooked up for 3 or 4 days. Checked before putting the tv on, and it read 13. 8. .......after the tv been on a few minutes its reading 12. 8. ...is that to be expected. ?? The solar panel is showing charging at the moment too.

regards

Bob

Honda 2. 2 CR-V Auto

Bailey Unicorn Cadiz 3

250 Aprilia

So it was a poor connection of the plug to the socket cured by dismantling and reassembling the plug. As suspected back in post #4. May just have been a stuck 'wing' of the spring connections in the plug ( the 12V -ve ) so poor contact to the socket outer connection?

NB A short between the two wires in the plug would have blown the 12V fuse to the caravan socket immediately; not given the symptoms you had.

Well done though! I'm very pleased you have sorted it out; and thanks for reporting back. :clap: {CT smilies are so limited :lol: }

Hi Rodders

You've been a great help to me with your thoughts and suggestions.

The tv has been on now for 8 hours .

RESULT. !!!!

Thank you

Bob

Honda 2. 2 CR-V Auto

Bailey Unicorn Cadiz 3

250 Aprilia