Bikes On Roof

I have booked the Channel Ferry crossing the CMC Club but at that time I thought I would put my folding bikes on the back seat, however I now would like to put my normal bikes on the roof as I have done before but I haven't declared it on the holiday booking, rather than go through the club and amend the booking can I just turn up and declare the bikes on roof and pay the excess premium at the check in desk. I have booked two different ferry crossings, one with P and O, the other with Brittany Ferries so I will have to do it twice.

Advice please.

Swift Fairway pulled by a Ford Mondeo 2. 0 Business Edition 5 door hatchback

Adventure before Dementia

Just put them on the roof and see if they notice! ;):ph34r:

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

Do they come up higher than the caravan?

With Brittany Ferries booked via the CMC they don't charge any extra for "over height tow cars" providing they are within the caravan's height, so I doubt they will take issue even with bikes as long as the van is the highest.

I would wait to be challenged and if they play difficult, just place them in the van for rolling onto and off the ferry, but not expecting to need to.

Edited by JTQ

As you have a Mondeo you may be ok. Certainly you will with P&O as we never declare our extra height and our bikes are above the caravan.

Brittany Ferries are stricter though and on one crossing we had about 6ins spare above the caravan aerial - fortunately we didn't have bikes on top that crossing. I contacted Brittany Ferries a few years ago about the extra height and they wanted £40 extra each way - we took the bikes off and put them in the caravan for the crossing.

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

I pack my mountain bike, with the pedals and wheels removed I the back of our Freelander2, on top of the awning, our Quest fridge, and Lizzies mobility scooter. Two crates of food complete the loading!

Looking forward to changing to a Discovery Sport in August with its larger load area!

Ooming and amming about a roof box for next year to ease the loading in the vehicle!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

Brittany Ferries are strict about this. If it's a full crossing there's every chance you'll get bumped due to either a height or overall length violation.

Not sure about other operators.

:excl::excl::excl:    Spanish Trip 2020 - :excl::excl::excl: - Time to bailout...

Subscribe to our Blog at the website below and read the diaries of many of our expeditions.

Caravan Ramblings blog

Brittany Ferries are strict about this. If it's a full crossing there's every chance you'll get bumped due to either a height or overall length violation.

Not sure about other operators.

Might be ok with a Mondeo though, as it's a lower car and bikes may not exceed caravan height.

Do they come up higher than the caravan?

With Brittany Ferries booked via the CMC they don't charge any extra for "over height tow cars" providing they are within the caravan's height, so I doubt they will take issue even with bikes as long as the van is the highest.

I received similar advice last week. I booked a crossing with Brittany ferries through the CMC, but the upright bikes on my roof rack are higher than my caravan by 23cm. I was told that the arrangement the CMC had with Brittany Ferries was that you pay for the higher limit, either the car+bikes or the caravan. So I booked for the height of the car+bikes. I just hope the booking in staff are aware of the arrangement, but I've done everything properly and above board.

I had been prepared to put the bikes in the caravan for the crossing before booking in, until the pleasant and efficient staff at CMC sorted it for me.

Good price too if you buy 5 Camping Cheques at the same time. Unfortunately they are paper cheques because they can't credit electronic cards. So I only bought the 5 and credited my card later with Camping Travel Club (Ex. Camping Cheques) for the rest that I need.

Gordon

Edited by Geemac

Nissan Qashqai 1. 6 dCi (130 PS) + Avondale Rialto 390-2

Thanks for advice, the bikes are higher than the car about 6in, slightly higher than the tv aerial, I don't think there would be a problem on P & O, plenty of clearance on their ferries but Brittany Ferries from Caen have a lot less clearance especially if you are put in the car section so if you don't declare and are put in that section you might have trouble, think I will stick with the folding bikes on back seat, less hassle and cost.

Swift Fairway pulled by a Ford Mondeo 2. 0 Business Edition 5 door hatchback

Adventure before Dementia

• 1 month later...

The only other -none related to ferries expense- could possibly be on the motorways where the height could push you into another category if over 3-metres

The only other -none related to ferries expense- could possibly be on the motorways where the height could push you into another category if over 3-metres

This happened to us at an automatic toll booth in France. Fortunately I spotted the class on the ticket and contacted them va the buzzer at the point of payment. They have cameras on the booths so can see you. The charge was adjusted to the correct category. It's usually a clue if the ticket pops out of the upper (HGV) slot!

Wouldn't know about that as I use the sanef tolling system and await the bill a month after. .....But thanks for the info :-)

The bikes on the roof of our car (DS4) are certainly higher than the caravan, when we went to Holland last October (without caravan) we only just fitted under the mezzanine - one of the guys on the deck had to walk me under. Took a picture the other night of us in the queue at Portsmouth and the height increase is quite obvious, same for the Mondeo behind us which also had bikes on

I never declare them as they are lower than the caravan,and its never been a problem but if you ask it will almost certainly result in a charge. providing your bikes are lower than the van just go for it and if there is a problem be prepared to unload them and stow in the van for the crossing.

David

Various vans 78-2019,  currently  Hobby Excellent 540 FU and Mercedes E220 CDI Estate

www. caravan-europe. co. uk

I emailed BF the year before last to ask about a roof load when towing a caravan. Their reply was to the effect that the caravan's allowable height was 2. 6 mtrs and if the car's roof load was less than that then there would be no extra charge.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

With Brittany Ferries, if you enter both the van and car as over height (1. 85 metres for the car) you get a double over-height charge added. Following CC advice I always enter the car as under 1. 85m (it's a Discovery 2 so nominal height is 1. 95m) and have never had a problem in the last 15 years or so.

If the car plus roof load was higher than the caravan I would enter the higher of the 2 although I would also seek advice from CC if booking through them.

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2