Not Happy, Not Happy At All.

Llew

We are off to Cornwall on Tuesday for two weeks, so today I cleaned the van in readiness.

It's the first time I have had to clean it, because we only collected it the second week in April and it has stayed pretty clean.

Even though we have only had it six weeks, it has already been back to the dealer for warranty work, so imagine my horror to discover cracks in the front GRP panel today while cleaning it, to say I was furious is an understatement.

The dealer will be receiving a strongly worded email from me first thing Monday morning, and at the moment I am seriously considering whether or not to reject it.

Due to the other problems it went back to the dealer for, mainly build quality issues, such as the washroom sink unit coming away from the wall, I am not impressed with Swift's build quality. It does not feel nowhere near as solidly built as the Avante we traded in, my experience of Swift products so far is not very favourable, in fact I would go as far as to say that it's something else beginning with S and ending in T.

This is the first Swift product we have bought, and it will definitely be the last, it's just a shame that they have sold our Avante, otherwise I would gladly have that back instead of this pile of junk.

We had spider cracks in the gel coat of the front GRP panel of our Schooner, I noticed this soon after purchase.

The panel manufacturer came out and proceeded to grind out the gel coat spiders, fill and sand them then spray the local area.

They said that this was standard practice and I would not be able to see the repair.

True at the time but now that area is a shade difference in colour and if the sun strikes the area from the side, shadowing of the repair can clearly be seen, looks like I have had accident damage repaired at some time. :(

Living the dream, well more of a nightmare ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Discovery 4 Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

Llew - I'd threaten to reject the van. That's crazy on a new van

Llew its story like yours that makes me hang onto my Avanté

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Reject the van or you could regret it later !!!

Maybe worth reading this from another swift customer on here ?

Posted 06 April 2017 - 08:59 pm

Hi I purchased a new 2017 Swift Conqueror 645 on the 11th last month. I have rejected the van and it's going back on Saturday. The overall workmanship is shocking, the main reason for rejecting it is the rear panel cracked at the high level brake light. I haven't even used the van yet. Swift should be embarrassed about the quality of the van. They are assembled by (insulting comment removed my Admin) that can't do the job and don't care. There are many more problems to mention

Edited by Grandpa Steve

Llew - I'd threaten to reject the van. That's crazy on a new van

Email sent to dealer this morning, obviously due to the bank holiday I'm not expecting a reply today, but rejection is at the forefront of my mind at the moment. I know it can be repaired, but on a brand new van is this really acceptable? I think we all know the answer to that, it's a similar scenario if you bump the car, no matter how good the repair is you never have the same looks on it.

Llew its story like yours that makes me hang onto my Avanté

To be honest Paul, I wish we'd kept our Avante, the only reason we changed was because the layout didn't suit us anymore. I know Elddis have had their fair share of criticism on here, but they were some of the best vans we have had, especially in terms of build quality.

First impressions count, and first impressions of the Swift are it does not feel anywhere near as solidly built as our old Avante was, and shock horror that was built the old fashioned way with screws and timber.

Don't ever rely on an e-mail, put it in writing and send a copy Recorded Delivery addressed to the MD of the dealership.

Simples . ..

Just start the procedures to reject the caravan and take advice from CAB or the consumers help line but get your letter of rejection in quickly (Recorded delivery)

Don't put up with all this caravan manufactures and dealer rubbish and fight your corner, its our hard earned money that's they've got. :(

Edited by Silverback

Where on the front panel as you might need to argue your point if they quote it is impact damage ?

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Where on the front panel as you might need to argue your point if they quote it is impact damage ?

Dave

Various places, around the grab handles, underneath the front locker and where the front panel curves over the side towards the awning channel on both sides.

Is it just the gel coating? - if so it is an easy repair. From my experience I would always reject a van if in the early days it needed warranty work. We didn't with the Cruiser and that was a huge mistake on our part. If the cracks are deep it is NOT a warranty issue it is a 'not fit for purpose' issue under CRL 2015. Do not be sidetracked by warranty claims for a fault if it is serious. Good Luck.

. . . . . . and where the front panel curves over the side towards the awning channel. . . . . .

Same place as where ours spidered.

There was a wooden piece of structure up against ours on the inside causing an outward pressure and thus the stress cracks.

Living the dream, well more of a nightmare ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Discovery 4 Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

Are we here dealing with a design that is a flexible skin that as would be expected "flexes" in on road air slam conditions rather than a truly bonded sandwich construction?

The latter bonded foam would mitigate the localised stressing arising at the bends in the skin itself or where there are underlying battens that would be a real issue with a flexing thin GRP "floating" skin.

If it is a single floating skin it has to have sufficient thickness or a great deal of "support" to keep the bending stresses down to levels that will not instigate gel coat cracking. That I suggest is quite a challenge given the large "sail area" of a caravan front end to take on approaching vehicle bow waves at speeds up to 120 odd mph.

Plus, the skin has to be built to a tolerance that it is not unduly stressed in persuading it to fit the body during build.