Kampa Air Awning Leak

Moodshadow

I have come to put up my awning for the first time this season to find leaks on two of the air tubes, not on the main air tubes themselves, but on the grey linking tubes, one from the isolation valve and the other from the deflation point. After taking it apart, it became clear the one by the isolation valve had split on the bend into the main air tube, the other issue was the tube feeding the deflation point had perished with multiple cracks. Anybody else suffered failures to the grey link tubes rather than the air tube itself? I don't think it's anything to do with how it is packed away.

This happened to me, I have original air, I contacted kampa and they sent me a complete set of inner tubes free of charge. To start with it was only one tube that had a leak but after replacing that others became faulty

How old was your awning when you had your problem? Mine is 2 years old

It was about the same between 2 & 3 yrs old. Is yours an original one . . it's a fault they know about

It's an ace air 400

Mine is a 390, at the time it was the only one you could get .

I've tweeted Kampa so I will see what they say.

Thanks

Better phoning them on Tuesday, they don't answer tweets very well

I've tweeted Kampa so I will see what they say. Thanks

Did you phone kampa ? What did they say ?

• 2 weeks later...

We did have this problem with our Air Ace Pro 390. Fixed it temporarily with tape over the grey tubes. Eventually replaced the inner tube for about £40. No problems since - at least with air leaks. Now jst dealing with water leaks. Planning a session to reproof it next week when it stops raining. It'll be a great awning - one day.

We did have this problem with our Air Ace Pro 390. Fixed it temporarily with tape over the grey tubes. Eventually replaced the inner tube for about £40. No problems since - at least with air leaks. Now jst dealing with water leaks. Planning a session to reproof it next week when it stops raining. It'll be a great awning - one day.

I had to clean my 330 pro when I got it second hand so I reproofed with Isabella isofix. We had some real down pours on it and it was water tight. Mind you I did use two large bottles and a can on a bit I missed.

Thanks, Jiffy. I'd be happy to use two large barrels if that stopped the leaks. You've given me another to choose from: isofix, Fabsil or Kampa's own. Many seem to favour Fabsil.

• 4 weeks later...

Kampa rally air pro 330. 2016 model leaking through the roof fabric (not condensation!). Also large bulges appeared in the main air beams. Also water Wells in the roof and the kampa electric pump packed in. Used awning 4 times, wetted well on first 2 occasions. Took it back yesterday. Interestingly the design has altered to address the lack of tension in the roof and there have been fabric changes. Only had the awning since February. Don't really want another. Awaiting kampa's verdict. Derek

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there first time post, to be fare I found this post whilst researching issues with my 2014 Rally Air 390, we purchased new with our caravan, on the first time out 2 of the tie down straps came off in my hand, they replaced the whole awning at the dealers.

Within the first year we had 2 air poles replaced as no matter what we did we could not get the dreaded bends out of them, and Kampa replaced them straight away as this was a known issue, this year and in to its 2nd year, we have had a failure of the main blow up air pole with this inner tube, not the bladder, but the inner tube splitting in 2 different places.

In addition to that just after 2 years the whole outside, what was black material is virtually very light grey all over, people ask how old it is.

After going through the dealer, then Kampa facebook site, I finally managed to get in touch with Kampa direct, and they requested pictures of the problems, I sent them Saturday gone and await there response, obviously this was and still is a £1000 purchase, they have improved the design over the years, but, I feel we are paying for the development, the thing has lasted just 2 years with 3 of the 4 poles failing, but, have to say the worst is the seeming lack of UV protection on the colour, considering we are in the UK, its is really really bad.

I'm hoping that they look at this sensibly and just replace the whole thing.

Tony

Re-proofed my leaking-from-new Kampa Rally Air Pro 390 awning a couple of weeks ago. Weekend just gone, it got well-rained on while we were away. Result: bliss!

Instead of pouring through the roof, sides and doors, it just stood in beads and rolled off the canvas. No leaks anywhere - except. ....when it pooled on the roof, and I had to push it off with the brush. A few drops came through where I touched the roof. But to be fair, no more water came through afterwards.

I've read other threads about pooling on this awning. It's important to space the awning out properly and inflate until it nearly explodes. Unfortunately, even that doesn't seem to work when the ground is sloping up away from the caravan, which leaves the roof more level than it should be.

However, I'm happy wih the waterproofing. It's stopped me chucking the awning on the tip.

What did I use? Fabsil Gold - applied with a 3" paintbrush. £14 a litre. Used 2. 5 litres. Well worth it.

Final point - for me this confirms my view that the problem was down to poor manufacture. The proofing was incomplete. And that supports a view, gleaned from many posts on here, that the quality of a Kampa awning is very hit-and-miss. Some are fine. Others are disastrous.

Buy at your peril.

• 1 month later...

Did you phone kampa ? What did they say ?

Hi Arnie,

Yes I spoke with them and they have sent me a complete new set of tubes. Two of the new tubes had faults so sent me further replacements for those. Got to say great service and the awning seems better now than it did originally.

BTW to the other posters, I have never had a leak through the fabric but I do get a bit of pooling on the roof from time to time.

Edited by Moodshadow