Increased Security Levels At Ports

Someone on another forum has reported increased security checks at Plymouth, and in view of the recent increase in threat level to critical, it may be that all ports will be doing more checking when you leave the country as well as when you come back again.

I wonder if anyone travelling in the next few days or weeks could report back their experiences, and at which port, so that other forum members know whether to allow more time.

I would hope ports and airports are being more vigilant and it would just seem sensible to allow more time to cover this.

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

As well as the possibility of delays due to extra security, we have to consider the impact of the French drivers union's industrial dispute. It is possible we will face problems with fuel availability. Perhaps the forum could have a permanent place for such travel information.

Ern

As well as the possibility of delays due to extra security, we have to consider the impact of the French drivers union's industrial dispute. It is possible we will face problems with fuel availability. Perhaps the forum could have a permanent place for such travel information.

Last year when we went to France they were on strike. This year they are doing the same again so will have to top up with diesel on the A38 before we get to Portsmouth.

My girls and I used the Shuttle a couple of Saturdays ago. Security at Folkestone was intense. Nearly every vehicle had to go into one of the four inspection lanes where engine bay, boot and car interior was examined. A hundred yards further on, passports were scrutinized. The whole process took so long that travellers missed their appointed departures. The return at Calais in the evening had long delays at the eight barriers because of UK passport examination. But customs and security inspection was non-existent.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Advice from Le Shuttle

Important travel advice May 2017

Please be aware that reinforced security checks are in place on our Folkestone and Calais Terminals. If travelling over the busy Half Term holiday period, please ensure that you follow advice to check in on time; that’s no later than 30 minutes and no earlier than 2 hours prior to your booked departure time.

It’s really important to have all passports and ID cards to hand, open at the photo page until you have cleared all Border Controls.

As the weather is predicted to be hot, please ensure that you have adequate provisions of water for both the humans and animals in your travelling party.

A20 Dover Roadworks

Roadworks in place on A20 Dover from 15th May for 11 weeks. These works are not close to our Folkestone Terminal so will not affect your journey to us. If you are travelling with us from the M2 direction, you may wish to consult the Highways England website at

https://www. gov. uk/government/organisations/highways-england

I always check all travel related website that will affect my route at least 2 hours before I travel anywhere and continuously checking when stopping for a break.

We used Poole Ferry terminal ten days ago and were waved straight through. No check at all!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

IMHO, we should have been strict on our boarder checks, even if we are now on highest alert, they are there for a reason and that reason has failed for many years. ...

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)

1288275170_2019VIP.jpg.775f2d8ce7b26db242e04a2e77903cd0.jpg

I posted last week, on the Caravan Club forum, about increased security checks leaving Plymouth-both of the underside of the car and van and inside the van-and made by it clear that this was was before the tragic events in Manchester.

My post was following a comment I made in response to a post that was generally suggesting there are less checks at ports serving the West and I made no comment in regard to the reason or reasonableness of these checks.

Mobile X-ray scanners have also been in use at Plymouth but when seen were on trucks arriving.

We came from Portsmouth to Caen on 25th the only check we had was our Passports that was at both ports. At Portsmouth most cars were searched thoroughly.

Les