Satellite Tuning Question

I have a Mecatronic Automatic satellite clam dish fitted to my motorhome. It has been and still is excellent. It is coupled with an Avtex TV with a built in satellite receiver. For some reason I can't get Channel 3 which is ITV HD although I can get Granada HD so no real issues there. However what is more puzzling is that I can't get Channel 5. No great loss but was wondering if anyone has any ideas?

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

David,

We have an Avtex L188 DRS and was able to get ITV HD and Channel 5 (and HD). We were on the Blair Drummond site last week, which had satellite hook-up on the bollard. The dishes were the very large Sky type and mounted low down on ground frames. Maybe the Astra satellite has drifted from it's normal orbit?

David

мы приходим невидимый - HM Submarines Conqueror, Churchill, Renown, Onslaught, Ocelot, Porpoise

Could it be a skew related issue?

Only said in speculation as once I had to adjust my skew, on a basic dish to bring in "missing" channels.

Though being an automatic dish that I suspect is automated in these things?

Unfortunately the dish does not have autoskew. It was an option which I was silly to pass on!!! I can adjust the skew manually but it means getting up a ladder which I don't have with me as we are currently away at the moment. When I get home I will see if I can adjust it and retune.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Caravan Travels

David,

If you can recall what skew is presently set and access "dishpointer" for your present location, you should be able to determine if indeed skew could be the issue.

http://www. dishpointer. com/

The site gives skew in the data below the map it throws up; you input location and satellite used.

I have a Mecatronic Automatic satellite clam dish fitted to my motorhome. It has been and still is excellent. It is coupled with an Avtex TV with a built in satellite receiver. For some reason I can't get Channel 3 which is ITV HD although I can get Granada HD so no real issues there. However what is more puzzling is that I can't get Channel 5. No great loss but was wondering if anyone has any ideas?

David

May suggest a re tune on your avtex, there is a chance that some channels may have moved frequency .

If you do a retune you will probably end up with more ITV and BBC regions and a few duplicates but you should get back your missing channels .

As I remember you have to enter a default code before doing a retune, can't remember what it's is but it's in your Avtex guide.

P. s default code I think is four zeros or four ones

Neil

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn

2022 Pilote P696GJ for European touring-  2022 Coachman VIP 565 for touring the UK towed by a 2020 Kia Sportage GT line S

I feel a bit of a fraud now because in an idle moment Margaret was checking through the many channels after I had done a retune and discovered we do have Channel Five but its way down the list, at 141 so goodness knows why it doesn't come up as 5. I suppose I could delete the blank channel 5 and rename the one that works?

David

David - Milton Keynes

Caravan Travels

Because 5 in the home group (101-105) is now 5HD, just as it is BBC2HD on 102, and BBC News HD on 503. Ch3 is not ITVHD but rather the normal regional version. ITVHD is on something like 178 and non-HD BBC News is on 570.

If you haven't used you sat box for a while it sometimes forgets channels. Leave the box on - could be up to 48 hours - and the missing channels will return.

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

Because 5 in the home group (101-105) is now 5HD, just as it is BBC2HD on 102, and BBC News HD on 503. Ch3 is not ITVHD but rather the normal regional version. ITVHD is on something like 178 and non-HD BBC News is on 570.

If you haven't used you sat box for a while it sometimes forgets channels. Leave the box on - could be up to 48 hours - and the missing channels will return.

You never have to set the ITV region so do they get their setting from the internet and the customers account ? I know when I have bought boxes off eBay they change regions without setting anything .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Freesat boxes set Regionality via the postcode entered on initial setup (and data carried on the freesat home transponder).

$ky boxes set it via the registered address postcode on the decryption card. No card $ky boxes default to BBC London and ITV Granada.

Avtex will do it in their own peculiar way as it is not a freesat-compliant box. . .

(e. g LCNs 1-5 don't exist on freesat. ITV HD is 111, channel 5 sd is not allocated a LCN at all {nor is it on $ky} but 5+1 is 128. . . . LCN 148 is Food Network. . .)

https://ukfree. tv/channels/all give the major accepted LCNs.

Check out if there's any logic to a H or V or high/low band (22kHz tone) issue with the missing channels and transponders? (Although Channel 5 only have the one transponder so if you get 5 SD then 5 HD should be stored somewhere in the TV.) I'd probably be biting the 'factory reset' bullet probably in an attempt to sort this out? Or fold and re-open the dish a few times in case it has got a bit 'sticky' and not aligned absolutely spot on causing a poor signal issue?

Edited by Rodders53

2012 Bailey Pegasus 2 Rimini towed by 2019 Ford Galaxy Titanium X, 2.0 EcoBlue, 8 speed auto.

Could it be a skew related issue?

Only said in speculation as once I had to adjust my skew, on a basic dish to bring in "missing" channels.

Though being an automatic dish that I suspect is automated in these things?

If I remember correctly the skew only has to be adjusted as you move eastwards and not south or north. So in Italy the skew will probably have to be adjusted but not for Spain. Happy to be corrected.

Freesat boxes set Regionality via the postcode entered on initial setup (and data carried on the freesat home transponder).

$ky boxes set it via the registered address postcode on the decryption card. No card $ky boxes default to BBC London and ITV Granada.

Avtex will do it in their own peculiar way as it is not a freesat-compliant box. . .

(e. g LCNs 1-5 don't exist on freesat. ITV HD is 111, channel 5 sd is not allocated a LCN at all {nor is it on $ky} but 5+1 is 128. . . . LCN 148 is Food Network. . .)

https://ukfree. tv/channels/all give the major accepted LCNs.

Check out if there's any logic to a H or V or high/low band (22kHz tone) issue with the missing channels and transponders? (Although Channel 5 only have the one transponder so if you get 5 SD then 5 HD should be stored somewhere in the TV.) I'd probably be biting the 'factory reset' bullet probably in an attempt to sort this out? Or fold and re-open the dish a few times in case it has got a bit 'sticky' and not aligned absolutely spot on causing a poor signal issue?

Correction: without a viewing card 101 will be BBC London and 103 will be ITV Central West (i. e. Brum.)

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

If I remember correctly the skew only has to be adjusted as you move eastwards and not south or north. So in Italy the skew will probably have to be adjusted but not for Spain. Happy to be corrected.

I always left the skew setting on my manual dish set to 12. 5 degrees (approx. half way between minimum and maximum).

I only ever had to adjust it on one occasion when receiving a weak signal.

If in any doubt, simply find www. dishpointer. com to check out the settings for your current location.

This also might help - Skew, what the hell is skew. doc

Vin Blanc

It is sometimes better to say nothing and be thought a fool, than to speak out and have it proven!

Frontera 3. 2L V6 4x4 tugging Compass Magnum Classic 540 (quite easily!)

Tripod mounted 57cm "Arcon Multi" prime focus dish - Humax Foxsat HD Recorder.