Ad Blu Consumption

Gd485

I have a 2016 2. 0 tdi VW Tiguan which is fitted with the 150ps Euro 6 engine. I have started towing a caravan and wondered how this will effect the Ad Blu consumption.

Ive been told that I shouldn't need to refill the Ad Blu tank between services (every 10,000 miles) with normal driving.

However, the consumption of Ad Blu is based on Diesel usage and driving style.

As towing can increase fuel consumption by 30 to 40% will the use of Ad Blu increase proportionally?

I seen lots of comments on other forums regarding Euro 6 engine spec as being thirsty, under powered and generally a waste of owners money. I have found this not to be the case. I replaced my 2013 Tiguan manual with the 2016 DSG model and the fuel consumption has remained the same or very slightly better.

As I see it, I need a diesel to tow with for economy and torque so anything that makes the "dirty" diesel more acceptable has got to be a good investment.

Towing: More Brains than More Horsepower.

I like the look of the Tiguan. It seems to be a reasonable all rounder which is not too big, but has the necessary credentials for a good tow car. It could be a contender to replace my Volvo. What are the service costs like?

Ern

Mine hadn't run out after 12,000 miles and 3000 miles of that would have been towing.

Bailey Orion News & Information - 

Mine hadn't run out after 12,000 miles and 3000 miles of that would have been towing.

But the Picasso, if your profile data is right, uses a totally different, diesel than the one VW use in the Tiguan.

To achieve the environmental NOx goals the builders use two techniques in varying measures, AdBlue and EGR; some go wholly down the EGR route, Fiat and Mazda come to mind on some offerings.

Therefore, depending on the dependence placed on AdBlue the outcome on usage will vary maker to maker.

Likewise, mine is a different vehicle, my new Disco 4, at its first service needed just 5 litres to top up having covered 5200 miles with 50% of that towing a 1900kg van. I am far from confident pulling higher powers, at higher rpm, does call on an increase in AdBlue feed, a gut feel is low crank speeds is more likely to be the driver for greater AdBlue, but pure speculation as no longer working in diesel development.

I would be very much happier to be using a vehicle that relies more on AdBlue, than a high level of EGR, which technology I hate with a vengeance. From my low use of AdBlue i am assuming unfortunately LR are using a lot more EGR than I would like.

Car needed Adblue after a year.

A warning light came on and that means 1000 mile before engine switches off.

I would have thought all cars same or similar.

Regards, David
Peugeot 308 GT Premium, 1.5 diesel 2021

The 950 mile warning light on my Ranger has just come on this morning having done 3650 miles

around 1000 of that towing, 20L tank I think

Ford say you should get around 5000miles (presumably not towing) so they are not to far out

I believe that Adblue consumption increases proportional to fuel consumption. The warning light gives ample warning of decreasing Adblue level so, given that Adblue is easily obtained from VW agents or independent outlets like Halfords etc. I can't see it being a problem. I hope so, as I intend to go down the same route!

John. :)

Never ask a man if he comes from Yorkshire. If he does, he'll tell you. If he doesn't, why humiliate him?

Cheapest is in 10 ltr on Ebay,

I would avoid 20 ltr container as heavy to fill from.

Regards, David

I believe that Adblue consumption increases proportional to fuel consumption.

John. :)

Possibly but I thought they modulated it to reflect those times when the combustion process was burning the nitrogen which creates the NOx?

Basically, times in the operation when the flame front is at overly high temperatures. This could be different to simply proportional to fuel consumption.

I recently enquired of VW UK whether it is possible to have an Ad Blue system retro-installed on our 2014 Passat Alltrack.

They replied that whilst some outlets would doubtless be prepared to do it they wouldn't advise it,especially if under warranty.

Seems a chance missed to me and may be at least a partial solution to the "diesel" problem.

Ian

I recently enquired of VW UK whether it is possible to have an Ad Blue system retro-installed on our 2014 Passat Alltrack.

They replied that whilst some outlets would doubtless be prepared to do it they wouldn't advise it,especially if under warranty.

Seems a chance missed to me and may be at least a partial solution to the "diesel" problem.

Ian

If that model ever was packaged with an AdBlue system there might be some point, but if not there is every chance the "real estate" is not there to even locate the system let alone start looking at the cost.

Cost wise with the exhaust hardware its fixing and the storage of the AdBlue, possible changing its EGR system plus most probably a new CPU, on a vehicle that has a market value at best half its original retail price, I don't see it being a "chance missed", just a fact of life it is not cost effective.

If things get difficult it will probably get boxed off to a third world area where they can't be so choosy to use some of the surplus diesel oil at knock down prices the world will by then be flooded in.

My Euro 6 VW Transporter says 5000miles per tankful, 13 litres i believe.

At a dealer service how do you find Adblue and service charge?

Do they fill it up or is it on request. Extra charge or included.

Regards, David

By far the cheapest for Adblue is the garage selling it at the pumps, just dont go in the day time -- H. G. V's have large adblue tanks & if you are behind one ( or more ) take a book. ................

Refilled our car a while back Nov last year -- 69 p a Ltr.

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

By far the cheapest for Adblue is the garage selling it at the pumps, just dont go in the day time -- H. G. V's have large adblue tanks & if you are behind one ( or more ) take a book. . . .. . .. . .. . .. . ..

Refilled our car a while back Nov last year -- 69 p a Ltr.

Can you get an HGV AdBlue pumps nozzle into a Skoda Superb's filler?

I have a 2016 2. 0 tdi VW Tiguan which is fitted with the 150ps Euro 6 engine. I have started towing a caravan and wondered how this will effect the Ad Blu consumption.

Ive been told that I shouldn't need to refill the Ad Blu tank between services (every 10,000 miles) with normal driving.

However, the consumption of Ad Blu is based on Diesel usage and driving style.

As towing can increase fuel consumption by 30 to 40% will the use of Ad Blu increase proportionally?

I seen lots of comments on other forums regarding Euro 6 engine spec as being thirsty, under powered and generally a waste of owners money. I have found this not to be the case. I replaced my 2013 Tiguan manual with the 2016 DSG model and the fuel consumption has remained the same or very slightly better.

As I see it, I need a diesel to tow with for economy and torque so anything that makes the "dirty" diesel more acceptable has got to be a good investment.

Adblue consumption is related to diesel consumption, so expect 50% more when towing - I get 400 miles/litre solo but my Touareg is heavier and more powerful than the Tiguan.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

The Touareg used 15 litres over 7000 miles. Mainly solo but some towing duties.

If you go to your local dealer (parts desk) they will fill it up for 1. 50 a litre.

I am interested to see how much the 2000 mile trip to France in the summer will affect it.

Mike

VW Touareg 3. 0L V6 262 R Line with a Unicorn IV Segovia trying to keep up!

The quantity of Urea "dosed" varies due to Nox monitoring. More or less will be dosed to keep the Nox amounts within the parametres. During towing duties you would expect cylinder temperatures to rise and thus Nox to increase.

My advice, for what it's worth is: after 2 years of towing with an Euro 6 engine in a Merc Vito, Carry a 20 litre container with you. Yes, the more fuel you use, the more AdBlue you will use

Have a phenomenal day,

Simon Thomson (www. ThomsonsTravels. co. uk)

Out Disco 4 3. 0 litre, has a adblu tank of around 19litres and should go service to service, it had a service at 12k and a remaining range of 5k, so would have gone the distance. LR say consumption is around 1 litre per 600 miles.

We run 2. 2 lire Renaults at work, 19 litre tank again, they say we should get 4K out of a tank of adblu, the first tankful seems to want refilling at just over 3000 miles. 20 litre drum with a litre there or there abouts left in the bottom.

The D4 is averaging 26mpg, the Renault's 35mpg. Easy to see which ones the dirty engine.

Hi,

Regarding the question on H. G. V. adblue pump nozzles-- never thought of that ! just went & filled up ( Chester services ) here's the link to find the garages,-https://www. findadblue. com/

cheers David

Skoda Scout 4x4 pulling a coachman Amara 520/4 at 93%---- when full!

Think all Adblue nozzles are same size whether you use a pump or container. It will be to stop anybody accidentally filling it with diesel.

As an aside I use 10 -20 litres of adblue a day in the winter. Engine is 12. 8 litre Merc and the fuel tank is about 280 litres (70 gallons) and quite often have to fill up before the shift is finished. Sitting on idle the display shows 18 litres an hour consumption.

Its a very low revving engine - usually sits about 1500 revs a minute and never really gets above 1800.

2012 Swift Conqueror 630 towed by Toyota Hilux Invincible

My advice, for what it's worth is: after 2 years of towing with an Euro 6 engine in a Merc Vito, Carry a 20 litre container with you. Yes, the more fuel you use, the more AdBlue you will use

My car has a Euro 6 engine, but does not need an additive like adblue. :D

Mitsubishi ASX4

Interests, none worth mentioning. Just plain boring most of the time, and very boring the rest.