Scuff On Side

Antony1977

About a year ago I caught my vans black windmirror on the side of my Adria Sportline DT 2014.

Has it scraped the white off leaving the black under colour or is the black mark the residue from my wing mirror? If it's the latter what can be used to get it off? My gut feeling is that it has scraped the white off and the black is the under colour.

Can anyone advise?

Pic attached

post-52609-0-51093400-1495609255_thumb.jpg

I think it looks like the black off the mirror, I would try something mild like Autoglym Paint Renovator, it is a very fine compound which with very light pressure should remove the marks.

After which I would then apply a good polish to protect the surface.

I agree that it looks like a scuff mark - when we had some scratches on a previous caravan the metal underneath was silver, being aluminium. Last year we removed some awning scuffs with Autoglym Super Resin Polish - it worked very well, without being abrasive.

Edited by Glen and Les

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

My guess is it is residue from the wing mirror, I cannot really tell from the pics.

Try some brake cleaner or carburetor cleaner aerosol and try gently rubbing out the black, if it comes away leaving white underneath then let us know.

Following that there may be other tips as to what you can do to remedy or improve things.

Good luck, hope it is the plastic from the mirror.

Or try toothpaste which is a very mild abrasive. We use it to remove black shoe marks off vinyl tiles in the house.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Thanks for the replies, I will try toothpaste first as I have some of that

I'd try toothpaste, followed with something like AutoGlym Super Resin Polish. Paint restorer can be a bit vicious unless you are very careful as the paint film on caravans is very thin.

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

As above suggestions really.

Most unlikely that the paint base coat, if there is one, would be black.

Should come off with gentle persuasion.

Living the dream, well more of a nightmare ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Discovery 4 Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

• 2 weeks later...

Yes base coat is never black for white top coat. You need loads of white to cover it.

formerly ClassikFan

Sorry post is a bit late but . .

I've used G3 Professional Scratch Remover on the caravan to remove some really bad black marks left by a wing mirror.

Also +1 for Autoglym Super Resin Polish

Thanks for the answers, havnt tackled it as it's half term and I'm trying to entertain the 4yr old and 6yr old! They go up to their aunt and uncles tomo for couple of days so will do it then, unless I just collapse on the sofa with exhaustion 😂