Corner Steady Winding Handle

tedglen2

Should do, I would have thought.

But I'm a cordless drill person as my back won't take to bending down for too long.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Yes they do.

Mark.

Bailey Unicorn 3 Barcelona

Hyundai Santa Fe Premium 7 seater

Yes, I've never used mine - cordless drill only

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

As said above they do, but its a strange folding thing that is ackward to use. I kept my old one and use that instead.

They do but if you catch your hand in it,well let's just say you wouldn't do it twice.

Plus you need the strength of Hercules to open the damn thing.

Cordless drill or a proper Al-Ko one.

Ian

another random question, do they come with a Y piece for the waste outlet

No

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

+ 1 No

I still use the thumb and forefinger trap that Bailey supply with the van, I suppose I look at it as a bit of sport "Can i out whit the loaded spring trap"!!!!!!!

As others say go cordless or al-ko friendly.

Edited by Beebs

<p>Live for the weekend!!!!

Only used mine the first time out. Who "designed" it? A four year old, or some kind of sadist?

Suffice to say that as soon as I got home from that trip, I bought a cordless drill and 19mm adapter.

I am curious as to what this device looks like! I would have thought that it would have been a straight forward cranking handle.

Andrew

Ford Mondeo Estate Titaniuim TDCi mk4 (16v 140 BHP) (2008)

Towing Elddis Odyssey 544 (2008) Truma mover S towing at 98%

My web site caravanlife. updated 28/5/2017

I am curious as to what this device looks like! I would have thought that it would have been a straight forward cranking handle.

Andrew

If its what I think it is, I found one in a hedge and I can understand how it got there, it was a fold up one and must weigh 3 times what a proper one does, the designer must have a sadistic sense of humour.

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Not cheap either. ..

https://www. bailey-parts. co. uk/product/1140114

I caught my hand in it once (but never again).. crikey that hurt.

Mark.

I'm not sure why Bailey insist on using the folding device, although in our Peggy 2 it does fit cosily in a prepared slot in the gas locker and is therefore neat and tidy. However current Bailey's have the midships gas locker and I don't recall seeing a similar 'slot' in them.

In any case, a long shaped slot to hold an AlKo non- folding handle would be perfectly possible, or why not just leave the AlKo version in the 'bits' pack like all the other brands and let the owner decide where/how they store it?

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

I also use a cordless drill & my motor mover cranking handle to check the tightness once down. The motor mover cranking handle has a universal joint on it so makes it easier to use as I don't have to bend down so far.

I also use a cordless drill & my motor mover cranking handle to check the tightness once down. The motor mover cranking handle has a universal joint on it so makes it easier to use as I don't have to bend down so far.

A cordless drill AND a motor mover? Don't let anyone see you making life easy for yourself. LOL ;-).

Mark.

I am also in the cordless drill camp. I bought a 24 volt hammer drill from Aldi at a cost of just under £40. 00. Works wonders on the corner stays and will even operate the mover if I start it off by hand. Who designs the location of the stays? On my Statesman the front ones come out of the side so you can see them easily and fit the socket. The rear at out of the rear and cannot be seen unless you are kneeling down. Either a damp knee or a dirty hand feeling for it blind.

I am also in the cordless drill camp. I bought a 24 volt hammer drill from Aldi at a cost of just under £40. 00. Works wonders on the corner stays and will even operate the mover if I start it off by hand. Who designs the location of the stays? On my Statesman the front ones come out of the side so you can see them easily and fit the socket. The rear at out of the rear and cannot be seen unless you are kneeling down. Either a damp knee or a dirty hand feeling for it blind.

Why not fit some guide tubes?

Ern

The location of the steadies seem to be dictated by the design of the chassis. . The front steadies on my Bailey Ranger, probably like on your Statesman, are fixed to a chassis cross member at a right angle to the chassis side members. The rear steadies are located on a similarly strengthened longitudinal section of chassis. Being attached to a longitudinal chassis member unfortunately causes, for some, difficulty in locating and accessing the head of the steady winding bolt. My solution is to wear knee pads and kneel when locating the winding handle onto the rear steady winding bolts.

I can't say I ever fold it, but haven't had any issues at all with the one supplied by Bailey.

They are also sold by Al-Ko at roughly half the price of Bailey should anyone be foolish enough to want one :-

http://www. al-ko. com/shop/uk_vt/products/caravan-accessories-1/tools-spare-parts/combi-brace. html

Ian

Why not fit some guide tubes?

The rear steadies are located on a similarly strengthened longitudinal section of chassis. Being attached to a longitudinal chassis member unfortunately causes, for some, difficulty in locating and accessing the head of the steady winding bolt. My solution is to wear knee pads and kneel when locating the winding handle onto the rear steady winding bolts.

A suitable length of 32mm rigid waste pipe secured with clips in line with the steadie guides the winder into position

A suitable length of 32mm rigid waste pipe secured with clips in line with the steadie guides the winder into position

You dont even need the pipe-clips Grandpa Steve. If you drill 2 holes large enough for the screwdriver head to go through down one side of the tube, and 2 small holes for screws directly opposite, you can screw the tube directly onto the underside of the floor . .. a lot easier to line up.

John

You dont even need the pipe-clips Grandpa Steve. If you drill 2 holes large enough for the screwdriver head to go through down one side of the tube, and 2 small holes for screws directly opposite, you can screw the tube directly onto the underside of the floor . .. a lot easier to line up.

John

Maybe put a bit of sealer on the screws to avoid water ingress.

John

Tried that and found that having the screws in line with the pipe allowed it to waddle, and the weight of the drill could pull out the screws.

With the clips straddled the pipe it kept it securely in place, and as you can angle the screws as you insert them it offer less of a straight pull out.