Black In The White Silicone On Exterior

Message added by CT Advertising,

the van is just 1 year old and the silicone has got black patches in it. mostly on the rear sides. wash the van each time and and every other week,gets a wax every three months . just nothing shifting the black in the silicone?

65 volvo geartronic se nav, 2016 buccaneer cruiser, 2017 buccaneer commadore, 2018 swift kon-tiki 669 auto, 2015 range rover 3. 0 sdv6 autobiography dynamic auto

Had this around a utility sink at home and got some silicone stain remover from one of the DIY stores which worked.

Main constituent seemed to be bleach, not detrimental on local ceramics or Formica but would be a bit nervy about using near caravan paintwork.

Living the dream, well more of a nightmare ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Discovery 4 Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

I used methylated spirits, shifted most of it.

the van is just 1 year old and the silicone has got black patches in it. mostly on the rear sides. wash the van each time and and every other week,gets a wax every three months . just nothing shifting the black in the silicone?

There's no hope for me then.

You are saying you wash the van every time you use it and every second week anyway! You wax and polish it every 3 months!

Wow. I wash mine once a year and never polish it! Inside gets regular clean because that's the bit we live in!

Read a lot of threads where people speak of their "pride and joy" . Mmmmm Mine is certainly not a "pride and joy" merely a box on wheels.

I could never begin to justify spending (or even find) that amount of time cleaning a caravan.

Am I the only one who feels like this I wonder! :ph34r:

Santa Fe 7 Seater Premium Manual towing Swift Eccles 480 plated to 1500 kg. 

I put some Fiamma Drip Stops over some of my lockers and they have developed the black spots.

Inside the gutter the spots are worse, have not been able remove these to any degree.

post-1814-0-20687600-1495436433_thumb.jpg

Living the dream, well more of a nightmare ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Discovery 4 Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

Silicone? I would think the sealing compound is non setting mastic which does attract dirt and grit .

I would think using methylated spirit is cleaning the mastic itself off and effecting its sealing of the joint and also could effect a ingress warranty .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

i dont think its mastik. the reason is its solid and like around a bath. ive used neat caravan cleaner with a tooth brush. but no chance. if this is supposed to be a seal then it not. as it has got dirt matted into it. would this be covered on the water ingrees . as it supposed to be a permenant seal. clearly its not sealed as dirt and grime are in there?

65 volvo geartronic se nav, 2016 buccaneer cruiser, 2017 buccaneer commadore, 2018 swift kon-tiki 669 auto, 2015 range rover 3. 0 sdv6 autobiography dynamic auto

I would expect mastic rather than silicone and it can pick up dirt and bits.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

tried with a tooth brush and paste. didnt even do anything. upon closer looking it looks like cracks in the silicone(def not mastic) and the dirt has got into the cracks. i will check further tomoz in the daylight.

Try smearing bleach on it !!!

The black is mould. Hence why bleach based products are very effective

:excl::excl::excl:    Spanish Trip 2020 - :excl::excl::excl: - Time to bailout...

Subscribe to our Blog at the website below and read the diaries of many of our expeditions.

Caravan Ramblings blog

yep tried that too. flash with bleach. i will get a magnifier on it to see if it is cracks. like its sealed but when you run your finger along to finish it,its like its been dragged so has left tiny cracks. its def rubberoid and hard, not like mastic which stays softish

its on the outsideof van not inside.

Appreciate that. Try painting on it a neat bleach

:excl::excl::excl:    Spanish Trip 2020 - :excl::excl::excl: - Time to bailout...

Subscribe to our Blog at the website below and read the diaries of many of our expeditions.

Caravan Ramblings blog

Judging by the make and age of your caravan it will be Mestic not silicon unless you've put the silicon in that yourself!

Andrew

Ford Mondeo Estate Titaniuim TDCi mk4 (16v 140 BHP) (2008)

Towing Elddis Odyssey 544 (2008) Truma mover S towing at 98%

My web site caravanlife. updated 28/5/2017

i will ring Elddis tomorrow and find out what it is. also £32k+ im not going to put silicone anywhere near it. its only on the rear top edge of the arch on both sides of van. why not else where?more info is its along the awning rail edge. will take some fotos tomorrow. as Elddis will prob want to see it too.

It's usually diesel soot. It comes off with Autoglym caravan cleaner and gentle brushing with a soft toothbrush.

Enjoy every minute of every day. It doesn't last nearly as long as you'd like, and there's no guarantee of coming this way again.

now that could be a possiblity. diesel fumes. and yes i do have a diesel car.

well i spoke with Elddis today and they said it is silicone. Bonded originally and then finished with silicone as a cosmetic. So i ask what they could do and they said take it to a dealer and let them submit a warranty claim. So i rang the dealer and they said they had another exactly the same least week and it was rejected as its not water ingress. only cosmetic. so dealer siad send them some picture and they will resubmit another claim, now on my behalf. So see what happens.

on another note they said to try cleaning it with a product called FL plus kerosene. . .

As ive never heard of it. i googled it but found nothing. so will ring them back tomorrow and get the full name.

• 1 month later...

I have found black mould living beneath the surface of various plastic or similar material, external finishing trim.

The solution to easy removal is as follows.

get an old cup or jam jar, squirt some gel type toilet cleaner into it. Get a half inch clean paint brush, paint the gel onto the mould, wait 5 mins and hose off. Maybe some rubber gloves and eye protection should be worn whilst doing this.

Anyway it works very well.

HG mould spray cleared the black spots on the rubbers on my Bailey.

I sprayed it on, left it for 5 minutes and washed it off. No scrubbing involved.

Edited by A11

• 3 months later...

Autoglym caravan cleaner applied with an old toothbrush worked very well on my old corniche and on my old europa but the sealant on those was aged and hardened.   I could scrub it on, leave it for as long as 30 minutes and then wash off with warm water and a soft brush.

My 2017 Coachman looks worse!  The bonding agents are still soft so I'll be interested in anything that's non-agressive in action or application.  Meths,  bleach and kerosene or similar are definiteley out.   I shall attempt to ask Bostik and/or Sika what they recommend and report back.    

The best solution we find is a damp microfibre and a spot of Autoglym Super Resin polish, but even clean, they don't last long before they are dirty again.

As promised I've asked both Bostic and Sika . .... "Please can you tell me what is the best way/best product to clean Sika used to seal caravan panels and fittings.  Thank you"
I've had a very fast response from Sika. ..... " Many thanks for the below enquiry.
For uncured Sikaflex you could use Remover 208. If the Sikaflex is cured that there is no product we can offer and suggest that this is carefully removed mechanically."

I think the reply was more to do with removing Sika (cleaning off) than just cleaning the grime off.   Google Remover 208 and read the data sheet.  Scary stuff.  I'll stay with Autoglym for now.

I'll post the response from Bostic when it arrives.

You  have stated earlier it was a “silicone” product, however, Sika's "Caravan sealant" is not one of those at all it is a polyurethane product.

When these polyurethane based products cure they “cure” and nothing I know of that will not also destroy your van, will touch it.   Probably accounts for their reply, you will not be able to touch it and I doubt you would need to.

On the other hand silicones seem very prone to fungal, “mildew” attack. Many include fungicides but in my experience, these have a limited life protecting the product from an attack where conditions are right.

Edited by JTQ

On another Forum, this has been found to be a fungus introduced at the moment of application by the dirty habit of wetting the finger with saliva. Warranty claims have ben accepted for the removal and replacement of the sealant.

Ern