Mains Inlet Socket

chad

Bailey Cartagena 2015. Just had ten days away, went to disconnect mains inlet plug only to find it had been arcing and welded itself in the socket so I had to cut it away and fit complete new housing and socket before leaving site.

I know there was earlier post on this but has anyone else been in trouble where it has welded itself in. Should have been warranty but would cost more to have gone to dealer so sorted myself.

That's dangerous!! Could have caused a fire. Do you know the reason for it?

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

Having looked at photos, it seems that you have the same sockets & switches as fitted in my Orion.

I had the water heater and room heater switches arcing, so it doesn't come as a surprise that anything electrical would fail.

My tale of woe here: http://inspirebte. yuku. com/topic/541/Faulty-Water-Heater-Switch-Truma-Ultrastore

All the electrics are supplied by the same company, I have also heard of the inlet sockets doing what yours has done.

Hopefully you've bought a different make and it's better.

Edited by Wunny

Bailey Orion News & Information - 

I have just read your article on your website, I found it very interesting.

Andrew

Ford Mondeo Estate Titaniuim TDCi mk4 (16v 140 BHP) (2008)

Towing Elddis Odyssey 544 (2008) Truma mover S towing at 98%

My web site caravanlife. updated 28/5/2017

Shortly after the Unicorn 3 was launched in 2014,there were several postings about faulty mains cable inlet connections. Been nothing on here for a long while though. When something like that happens,as the OP says,it's often easier to sort it yourself if you're confident and competent.

Have read of this problem on a number of occasions usually down to poor contact pressure between the pins in the plug and socket.

Not uncommon for us to jiggle these plugs around to help parting them which in turn causes contact points to open up some reducing pressure and leading to arcing and so heat build up.

Living the dream, well more of a nightmare ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Discovery 4 Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

I replaced the whole mains inlet unit on mine last year. I had noticed the hook up cable plug was a tad easy fitting in the socket. But i had to change it due to the awning ripping the door off when we were taking the awning down. Anyway after replacing with a new unit, it was obvious the socket was a tighter fit on the plug

On reflection I wonder f this has been caused by me on occasions removing the mains lead first from the van first and then the bollard or vice versa, this could cause arcing.

I've got several hook-up cables - left over from changed caravans etc and it's obvious that at least one of them has looser sockets so that it's a sloppier fit onto the caravan inlet pins. You can usually feel if it it doesn't feel firm, Wigglng the socket to remove it won't help as it will stretch the sockets on the cable end.

So the problem is probably a combination of extremes of tolerance between the inlet pins and sockets causing a poor contact between them. 3kw = 12amps which will cause the pins to overheat. I'd doubt that is caused by arcing when the plug is inserted although switching the van circuit breaker off before coupling and uncoupling is advised. I doubt most of us doi it though.

I've had a similar problem with my 5amp cigar lighter connector on the cool box - even though it's at 12v, the connector has melted due to the heat produced by the poor contacts.

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

I replaced the whole mains inlet unit on mine last year. I had noticed the hook up cable plug was a tad easy fitting in the socket. But i had to change it due to the awning ripping the door off when we were taking the awning down. Anyway after replacing with a new unit, it was obvious the socket was a tighter fit on the plug

+1. Was 5 minute job - I cannibalised a replacement unit so just changed out just the blue part so I didn't need to replace the socket as a whole.