T. M. V. Location Location Location

JCloughie

I am considering fitting a TMV (thermostatic mixer valve). Also known as TCV (thermostatic control valve) and blender valve.

The easy answer is to fit a John Guest or an Alde one but they are approx £110+. Plenty of well known makes are available on line from £15 but generally £23 delivered. I know I need to make sure I get a low pressure version. Fittings are also needed to reduce to 12mm push fit.

TMV 2 (domestic) and TMV 3 (hospital) are available, either are fine.

So location.

Technical advice says as close to the outlet as possible, therefore in the ducting just outside of the shower.

The advice also says that one TMV can service a number of outlets. So should I place it under the front bunk so that all outlets are protected.

If I do this, my concern is that the dead leg to the shower will be at a reduced temp, so may take longer with a corresponding loss of water to bring the shower to a working temperature. But that may not be the case as the hot feed will still be at above shower temperature just not at scalding.

Looking for others thoughts. Possibly some of you have a posh van that had one fitted from new, if so, do you know it's location.

Thanks in anticipation, I know some of you like to excessive the grey matter.

John

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

As they restrict the temperature to 43 C then typically they are only fitted to feeds to showers and where you wash hands after using the loo. Myself I would only bother with the shower, the loo washbasin I have no issue with scalding.

The kitchen ideally should have hotter water.

How many other hot water outlets has your van got?

I do feel that like in ships etc they should be a mandatory manufacture fitment for showers in our leisure vehicles, the more so with boilers capable of 80 C outputs and hand held shower heads that are typically used in an on-off mode.

ps: there is the other school of thought that as none of the plastic tubing I could find for caravan water systems is specified for 80 C then you need it at the boiler to protect the hot water plumbing even before the water gets to your body!

Edited by JTQ

As they restrict the temperature to 43 C then typically they are only fitted to feeds to showers and where you wash hands after using the loo. Myself I would only bother with the shower, the loo washbasin I have no issue with scalding.

The kitchen ideally should have hotter water.

How many other hot water outlets has your van got?

I do feel that like in ships etc they should be a mandatory manufacture fitment for showers in our leisure vehicles, the more so with boilers capable of 80 C outputs and hand held shower heads that are typically used in an on-off mode.

We only have the outlets that you mention and clearly the shower is the most important where the recommended temp is 41c btw. However, the wife does sometimes complain regarding the hw at the sink. Personally I think that is an advantage but I keep my mouth shut regarding all things related to washing up.

Normally the wash-hand basin is not a problem for adults but scary to let a small child loose in there.

The advantage in the shower, apart from the safety aspect, is that the final temperature will be much more controlable, at the moment the slightest movement of the lever can be uncomfortable.

Due to being set up incorrectly at the factory our Alde system has never worked correctly and hw temperatures could get extremely high. It is now fixed and the 50c it is supposed to be can get a lot higher. Alde tell me this is normal.

Though much improved now a TMV would be an extra improvement. I know that Alde would like more manufacturers to specify them. At least new build domestic properties have to have them by law from 2006 in Scotland and 2010 England and Wales. Just need the leisure industry to catch up.

Is this the sort of thing the club's should be campaigning for or is that wishful thinking?

John

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

I fitted Pegler tmv to cover the supply to the shower and wash hand basin (not the kitchen sink). Makes using the shower very easy. The inlets on my Pegler valve are non return so had to fit a drain in the controlled outlet to allow for a winter drain down.

John

I fitted Pegler tmv to cover the supply to the shower and wash hand basin (not the kitchen sink). Makes using the shower very easy. The inlets on my Pegler valve are non return so had to fit a drain in the controlled outlet to allow for a winter drain down.

John

Fantastic and useful info, thanks. I had not given any thought to framing issues.

John

Edited by JCloughie