Went Shopping Earlier Today And. ..

Well I went shopping earlier today, and was complimented by a lady in the shop on how good my English was! Proves that my French cannot have been that bad!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

Well done! Wait til you have to go into a French hospital ! they don't speak a word of English ! :angry:

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

Well done! Wait til you have to go into a French hospital ! they don't speak a word of English ! :angry:

I sincerely hope I don't have to visit a French Hospital!

Land Rover dealers are bad enough over here! Thank goodness for Red Penant, Land Rover assist and Google translate!

2019 Bailey Platinum (640) Phoenix from Chipping Sodbury caravans, towed by our  2017 my Discovery Sport!

Not entirely true. In practice a lot of French doctors and some nurses can speak some English, but they're reluctant to use it.

Suffolk Coast, Bailey U3 Vigo, Hyundai Tucson Premium SE 2. 0

From experience of a French doctor (three or four times) and a French hospital (once) I would have no hesitation about being a patient! Each time I've wanted to see a GP there was no wait at all, and at the French hospital, where we drove to with the parents of a little boy who we had seen fall off his bike and knock out all his front teeth, the service was excellent and everyone (including the little boy) came away smiling!

During the 1970s and 80s I was serving with the British Army who paid for me to learn and become a German interpreter. One of my tutors told me that you will know when you can speak another language well when you "think" in that language, which is not far off the mark.

A Welsh friend of mine there was married to a German and they always spoke to each other in the other's native tongue. It was facinating to listen to them.

But I haven't used the language for more than 20 years and would struggle to hold down a conversation now.

Edit: I should emphasise that he spoke to her in german and she to him in english, not welsh!

Edited by exbonneville

BMW X5 3. 0d Sport + Coachman Wanderer 19/4

As You Were!

I believe you need a special throat and brain to speak Welsh properly. Comes with a free 'singing voice box' as well. Anyone know where I can buy one.

Kia KX 3 auto / Bailey Alicanto Grande Estoril and Swift Challenger 570 (2010 model Not towed - used as a static)

I agree with Chalky and Val. A smattering of French helps but in our experience they make sure you understand what they are saying, even if it means finding someone who is bi-lingual and the service is wonderful.