Shock Absorbers

Durbanite

How do you check them to see if they are okay. The vehicle is a 4x4 and a knocking noise from rear on bumpy roads.

I've never really found that shock absorbers themselves knock, it's usually the mountings or bushes wheere they are attached to the vehicle. Shockers tend to leak and you can see the fluid stains.

You are looking for movement in the mountings. Have you checked the obvious, like loose or broken exhaust mountings or towbar bolts etc. anything touching stuff that it shouldn't, even a slightly loose spare wheel.

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

I've never really found that shock absorbers themselves knock, it's usually the mountings or bushes wheere they are attached to the vehicle. Shockers tend to leak and you can see the fluid stains.

You are looking for movement in the mountings. Have you checked the obvious, like loose or broken exhaust mountings or towbar bolts etc. anything touching stuff that it shouldn't, even a slightly loose spare wheel.

Thanks as I suspect it could be mountings or bushes. The vehicle is in for repair tomorrow so will ask them to check.

Does your car have rear coil springs? it could be that one is broken, or maybe a pebble has dropped into the cup and is sticking between the coils, it will bang when it is pushed out under pressure.

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)