Cleaning Roof

There is no magic formulae.

Even with a cover in storage the roof will get dirty on the road and on site.

Washing it, or having someone else wash it, is the only option.

Having the van treated with a paint protector or applying a good polish will help, but still wont avoid the need to wash.

Park it nose-down or nose-up when not in use . .. that way, dirty rainwater won't sit on the roof.

Don' t park it under trees, especially sticky sappy ones.

And, if possible, clean the roof then polish it, and hopefully rainwater will slide off.

Good luck, John.

Relatively easy to keep clean, but the only answer is to keep it washed.

When I wash the caravan, usually before we go away in it, I hose it down to loosen the dirt and use a soft extendable washing brush with wash and wax shampoo (in warm water). It's easier to do this each time rather than leaving it for a long period of time, which only makes it harder work.

I have tried polishing the roof, but I'm not convinced it makes any difference (it still gets just as dirty!)

I use either Autoglym shampoo or Fenwicks caravan cleaner followed by Fenwicks Bobby Dazzler for the roof. Same for the body panels with Aldi black streak spray when/where necessary. The only difference between the roof and the body is I apply a good wax polish to the body once a year.

I wash it regularly and it takes only a few minutes because I polish and wax it twice a year. I also try to park it with one end lower than the other to reduce pooling.

I use an aluminium ladder with pipe insulation fixed to it where it bears on the edge of the roof and a telescopic car wash brush. Plain water is all that is needed.

Keeping it clean reduces the black streaks down the side of the van too and as the sides are also polished and waxed they wipe off easily.

Bob

Mercedes Benz E220 AMG Line Auto Estate and Bailey S4 Unicorn Cadiz

Roof cleaning is a real pain for me as I keep the caravan at a storage site. Can just about manage to transport enough water to clean the vertical surfaces. Used to put the old van on the drive to clean it but can't get the new Adria down our road. I think I'll have to pay to get it done.

formerly ClassikFan

• 2 weeks later...

I use Fenwicks (neat where the black marks are) and ladders - we store away from home but I can bring it back to clean, I gave it a full clean at the start of the season and just give it a quick once-over before each trip. It will also have a cover over it until the leaves have all left the tree's

• 1 month later...

Having taken the advice of my Never Wrong ???? TV weather girl, I decided to wash the caravan roof today.

Dragged out the coach painters ladder, garden hose and a bucket of hot water and a good shot of smelly Flash.

Soon the green gunge and black stuff was coming off quite easily except on the rear ventilator. After much ado and the hose on full pressure I managed to get it all nice and white again. I expected the rear bunk to be soaked by splash through the vent but it was dry as a bone.

Job done, and standing back admiring my lovely white roof-----the blasted rain came on.

However, perhaps the saving grace is that should the unthinkable happen and I coupe it on it's ribs in the middle of a road somewhere, I shall be spared the further embarrassment of a filthy roof for all & sundry to see.

• 2 weeks later...

If you can be bothered to clean and wax the roof then this helps making future cleaning much easier, with the dirt washing away really easily.

I firmly believe that its the dirt from the roof that washes down in the rain into the awning rail and window frames, and then created the dreaded black streaks. Keep the roof and awning rail clean and you won't get the black streaks under the windows.

Edited by Guest

To stop Black Streaks we use awning rail protector strips on both sides of the van

Les

To stop Black Streaks we use awning rail protector strips on both sides of the van

I can only assume that the dirt from the roof runs down your awning rail protector strips instead of down the sides of your van and collecting around the window seals?

I can only assume that the dirt from the roof runs down your awning rail protector strips instead of down the sides of your van and collecting around the window seals?

No Black Streaks since using awning protector

Les

We also use these awning rail protectors-they do stop the streaks from roof level but not from the bottom of each window unfortunately-but hey these are not as pronounced :-)