Tpsm Or Tyron Bands

What would be the best option pressure sensors or Tyron bands, I understand the theory behind the bands but early warning of tyre deflation sounds like the best road to go down.

Opinions please

I have both but unquestionably I believe knowing a tyre is in distress from a slow puncture, long before it is wrecked is by far the better option.

IMO, most claimed caravan tyre "blow-outs" are not that but the inevitable consequences of towing with a tyre that is losing pressure, till its wall structure is so overheated it breaks up.

Edited by JTQ

Tyron bands appear to have no evidence or research behind them to support their claims and are thus of indeterminate worth. TPMS on the other hand is working in real time with real data to keep a driver informed as to the pressure (and temperature with the better kits).

Tyron Bands? TPMS? I know which I would choose without a doubt. Why wait until the tyre is trying to get of the Riis before you know anything is wrong?

TPMS easy gives peace of mind. ...I have tyron band as well but they were on the caravan when I bought it

Looks like TPMS is the way to go, any recommendations on makes, Tyrepal etc etc.

I also have both. The caravan came with the bands already fitted. Had it not - I doubt I would have bothered. The tyre monitoring however is a boon. To glance at the binnacle and see first that the car's tyres are all behaving, then see that the caravan's are, it's a real asset.

I bought this model off ebay 18 months ago. Then it didn't carry the Tyrepal logo but was selling at £95 direct from China. I have it positioned on the binnacle behind the steering wheel and it doesn't need to be plugged in since it uses solar power. The car's tyre pressures show as soon as a door is banged. The caravan pressure only appear when the van is close to the car. I find the caravan only needs to move 10 yards or so on the mover to awaken the sensors. Then the read out alternates between the car tyres and the van's. The kit comes with a device to relay the van pressures to the monitor but my 4. 5 metre car and 6. 5 metre van doesn't need the relay connected.

Edited by Jaydug

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

I had Tyrons fitted from new, but 3 years ago I fitted TyrePal TPMS to the van's tyres and I think if I had to choose it would be TPMS.

Chris in Warwickshire, Elddis Odyssey 482 (2008), Mitsubishi Outlander diesel, 2017

Snooper Tyrepilot STP116 for me. Liked the look/feel/sturdiness of the screen mounted monitor the best. Had it 2 years and it works v well. Have TPMS on the car so these on 4 wheels of the (long van) and signal is picked up well.

Powrtouch AWD Movers. E & P Compact Levelling System.

If I were to buy again I would be buying from eBay and a set from China. I would probably but the solar set that looks very very similar to the one Jaydug refers to above.

Looks like TPMS is the way to go, any recommendations on makes, Tyrepal etc etc.

When I decided, last year, to cough up and fit TPMS, Tyrepal was the only system I could find that would allow monitoring of both 'van and tug.

Many thanks for the replies. Very helpful indeed

All recent cars have to have some system to warn of failing tyre pressures so arguably if owning a recent car you only need to monitor the caravan's two or four tyres.

This can allow you to buy a cheaper simple 4/5 channel system not targetted to a trailer but use it for a trailer.

Edited by JTQ

Although I no longer tow I always used to have Tyron Bands fitted. However if I was starting out again I think I would just go for a tyre monitoring system plus of course keeping an eye on the tyres for signs of wall damage. The problem with Tyron bands is that when it comes to changing tyres they are a real faff if your fitter has no experience of them.

David

David - Milton Keynes

Bailey Alliance 66-2 Motorhome for holidays and a Kia Venga for home.

Caravan Travels

I bought this model off ebay 18 months ago. Then it didn't carry the Tyrepal logo but was selling at £95 direct from China.

I bought an identical model, but via Ali Express, at a "bargain" price of £55 or so. Initially I was quite impressed but a week or so after fitting I went to my car to find one tyre completely flat. During that week the display had showed normal pressures. I had fitted the sensors exactly in line with the instructions (checking for leakage immediately after fitting with soapy water) and it was clear that the sensor had failed and let all the air out of the tyre. I immediately removed all the sensors and replaced with conventional caps.

Needless to say, my efforts to get a refund from China were fruitless (my wife did say she'd told me so!).

I was also concerned that the sensors were quite big and looked vulnerable to kerbing.

To my mind, they are not completely safe as the design means they open the tyre valve to sense the pressure so only the integrity of the sensor seal on the valve stem stops the tyre from going flat. With a standard system you have both the valve and the cap so there is a backup.

I would be more interested in the type of system that fits inside the tyre as used on most cars, but that will have to wait till I replace the tyres (and probably have the Tyron bands removed which, as others have said, are probably redundant).

In the meantime I will continue to check pressures regularly with a decent tyre gauge.

Ian.
2013 Freelander 2 SD4 Auto / 2005 Bailey Pageant Vendée; 1952 Norton ES2

Although I no longer tow I always used to have Tyron Bands fitted. However if I was starting out again I think I would just go for a tyre monitoring system plus of course keeping an eye on the tyres for signs of wall damage. The problem with Tyron bands is that when it comes to changing tyres they are a real faff if your fitter has no experience of them.

David

And they charge extra in my experience!

If fitting Tyrons get the wheels balanced. I didn't realise this, but after 3 years use, I had the wheels balanced and they were miles out.

Chris in Warwickshire, Elddis Odyssey 482 (2008), Mitsubishi Outlander diesel, 2017

And they charge extra in my experience!If fitting Tyrons get the wheels balanced. I didn't realise this, but after 3 years use, I had the wheels balanced and they were miles out.

Not unusual with caravan wheels. Mine have no Tyron Bands but they needed a lot of weights to get them balanced.