Electric's - Help Needed Please

Verona

Have been setting up caravan Lunar Solaris (dealers special) and cannot find in the handbook information on Elec 1-900w Elec 2 1800w ????? which should I be using on site hook-up ???

Thank you

Verona

It is up yo you depending on how many amps the site is supplying. If you are on good UK sites with 10 to 13 amps available the higher one is fine however if abroad and you only have say 6 amps then would use the lower amount.

Good luck with your van.

Andrew

Edited by ascsbe

Have been setting up caravan Lunar Solaris (dealers special) and cannot find in the handbook information on Elec 1-900w Elec 2 1800w ????? which should I be using on site hook-up ???

Thank you

Verona

As said the main difference is the amount of amps being used with the 1800w using more amps. Both will heat up the water and heating to the same temperature however the 1800w selection will do it a bit quicker. You should not have an issue on most UK sites. If on the continent using the lower one should see you through all sites. It is preferable to use a low wattage kettle i. e. 800w.

No simple answer to which heater setting, as others have said it depends on the supply available, but also what other equipment you want to run at the same time. Even on a 16A ehu you may want to stay with the 900W setting if you want to use a full power kettle or a low wattage kettle and microwave. If you are content to ration yourself to one appliance at a time you can use the higher setting, but for convenience you may want to stick with the lower setting.

You will soon learn,if you use a high wattage on a low amp site,the trip at the plug will trip,or sometimes the one in the van.

It's so annoying! When it happens and it's raining or you have to walk all the way to reception to get some grumpy warden to unlock the box and reset the trip,some you can get access to and do it yourself,more so on the continent.

No simple answer to which heater setting, as others have said it depends on the supply available, but also what other equipment you want to run at the same time. Even on a 16A ehu you may want to stay with the 900W setting if you want to use a full power kettle or a low wattage kettle and microwave. If you are content to ration yourself to one appliance at a time you can use the higher setting, but for convenience you may want to stick with the lower setting.

TBH on UK sites probably no need to use only the 900w setting. We always had ours on 2kw on our Lunar and never tripped the bollard as most sites are 15amp so the 2kw is only drawing about 9amp. It probably will only be drawing that amount when the water is cold. Once the water has warmed up, the thermostat switches on and off. Up to the OP to decide.

We have ours set for 2kw on 16 amp sites and 1kw on 10 amp sites. On the first site on our last tour I tripped the bollard twice using 2kw when using other appliances. Strange as it was a 16amp site. Then I realised and warden confirmed that on our plug in the electrician had been doing maintenance and ran out of 16 amp trips and fitted 10 amp. :)

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

We have ours set for 2kw on 16 amp sites and 1kw on 10 amp sites. On the first site on our last tour I tripped the bollard twice using 2kw when using other appliances. Strange as it was a 16amp site. Then I realised and warden confirmed that on our plug in the electrician had been doing maintenance and ran out of 16 amp trips and fitted 110 amp. :)

You tripped a 110A breaker!

knarf

Ooops, :rolleyes:

Fat fingers!

(Figure now edited by a Mod)

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

Thanks for all the advice, but still unsure. When on site (assume 16am) we never use the gas, most used is the kettle,microwave,TV,water heater, all low wattage, but not all at the same time. Is it correct that I should use Elec. 1 (900) ?????

Thanks

Verona

For me heating 2kw on 16amp and 1kw on 10 amp. With fridge running, battery charger on, kettle on I don't want to trip when I put toaster on'

It all depends on the ratings of your appliances. To be on the safe side a 16 amp supply gives (16x230 = 3680) 3. 68kw.

10 amp = 2. 3kw.

I ignore charger etc and just say 16amp = 3. 5kw and 10amp = 2kw

I think my kettle in 'van is 0. 9kw. My domestic is 3kw and so not really suitable in a caravan.

Alan

I use the lowest power rating to allow a comfortable temperature in the caravan - our Alde has a choice of 1/2/3 kw so set to 1kw except in winter - everything else just has one rating - our experience is that using the microwave at the same time as higher-powered heating is the most likely combination to trip the bollard electrics. Remember that microwave input power is 50-100% higher than the rated output power so a 800w microwave will use 1200-1600w.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

Thanks for all the advice, but still unsure. When on site (assume 16am) we never use the gas, most used is the kettle,microwave,TV,water heater, all low wattage, but not all at the same time. Is it correct that I should use Elec. 1 (900) ?????

Thanks

Verona

The water heater is not low wattage as it will draw either 900 or 1800w. If the site is 10 or 16amp use the 2kw setting, but do not put on the toaster at the same time as the kettle. What wattage is the kettle?

If there is a separate immersion heating element for hot water I doubt that it is more than 450w. Certainly not 1800w.

Alan

If there is a separate immersion heating element for hot water I doubt that it is more than 450w. Certainly not 1800w.

ALDE system does not use an immersion heater but has 3000kw available.

ALDE system does not use an immersion heater but has 3000kw available.

I know - our alde is 2kw or 1kw.

The OP refers to 'Elec 1-900w Elec 2 1800w' and assumed it was not an Alde and he asks what he should use for his heating - 900w or 1800w.

Of course with the Alde there is no water heating as such in as much as it is a function of the overall heating system and heated indirectly in by the boiler.

Alan

I know - our alde is 2kw or 1kw.

The OP refers to 'Elec 1-900w Elec 2 1800w' and assumed it was not an Alde and he asks what he should use for his heating - 900w or 1800w.

Of course with the Alde there is no water heating as such in as much as it is a function of the overall heating system and heated indirectly in by the boiler.

Correct as I got it wrong. I checked on pictures of our old Lunar. The 1800w should be okay as I cannot recall ever using ours on 900w and we used a George Foreman in the caravan. I would use it on 1800w, but be careful about not having two high wattage items like a toaster and kettle on at the same time.