To Drain Or Not To Drain

mrchiggles

Old caravan was a right pain to drain the hot tank but on the new one I've got easy(ish) taps under the bed.

Do most people drain the hot tank (and maybe the cold system?) before/while towing?

Thanks!

Always without fail.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Thanks. ..next question, do you just let it go on the pitch (okay I assume on a gravel hardstanding but maybe not on grass) or elsewhere?

I try to ensure the water is not boiling hot by turning it off an hour or so before leaving, then using some to do the final dishes and cleaning the sinks. Hopefully, with the cold filling the tank, it will have cooled sufficiently so as not to scorch the grass.

Occasionally we will leave the water in the tank, especially if just moving form one site to another.

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

I always let it cool down first then catch it in a bowl then either down the drain or into the hedgerow, whichever is easiest. It's about 15 ltrs I believe and I personally wouldn't want a wet patch left for me when I arrive.

Mike

Mike

I simply empty the contents of the Aquaroll through the hot tap into the kitchen sink. The water is usually running cool or cold by the end of the aquaroll, It is then safe to drop on a grass pitch. I usually leave the plug in and fill the bowl so that when the plug is pulled I get very hot water from the first sink full to clean the waste pipes on the way to the wastemaster.

Alan

2005 Nissan X-trail 4WD diesel and Swift Charisma 540 2012 Lunar Clubman ES  2018 Lunar Clubman ES

Always travel dry. On hardstanding, we just open & drain, but on grass try to let things cool down a bit before emptying

I always drain down but use the remaining hot water to flush out the waste pipe.

2017 Mercedes Benz 220 CLS  AMG design Shooting Brake. 

When on grass, I also run the hot water off via a tap to the waste master replenishing with fresh water from our Aquaroll, draining the then cold from the tank onto the grass.

Living the dream, well more of a nightmare ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Discovery 4 Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

I have always just drain on site.

However with the new caravan i have been advised not to drain the water while hot as it can trigger the internal trip in the alde?

Does the latest alde version have this trip? Never had an issue with the older version, but used some of the hot water to clean hoses etc.

Always drain the Alde tank but do turn off heat once washed up that morning so not silly hot when drained. When I can I drain the tank into the emptied wastemaster and then take this to the emptying point. If the water is warm i think it freshens up the inside of the wastemaster a bit (guess you could add some Milton or suchlike to the wastemaster and this wd be better still with the warm water at cleaning tank a bit - I also slosh the wastemaster back and forth on final empty to try to disturb and 'lodged' food particles)

Powrtouch AWD Movers. E & P Compact Levelling System.

Always drain before leaving, even though the tap is difficult to reach.

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

Tend to drain when going home but leave it when moving sites.

Always drain, but never onto grass pitch as it scorches the grass. Usually we switch the heater off about half an hour before leaving, then we use the remaining water washing dishes and cleaning out sinks as we prepare to leave. Then I wait until I've pulled onto the road/hard surface before opening the valve.

Alec

Car & Caravan

Everything empty, including the toilet & flush! 1Ltr = 1Kg. I switch off water heater in the morning of departure, using the hot water for whatever! Heater full of cold water, pump off, taps open, yellow drain open. It dose not matter, if on grass or hard standing, as the water is cold. We were at Black horse farm (CaMC) site with friends and they got a ticking off from a warden for dumping hot water onto a hard standing? ( I had a ticking off for being hitched up the night before an early departure at Black horse, I was not. Warden left pitch with egg on his face.) Over Zealous wardens?

Edited by David P

Swift Elegance 480, towed by a Mitsubishi L200 Barbarian X series 6.

Never bother but then I do drive a jeep with a 3. 5T tow capacity. Also as its in front of the axle it not hurting stability. Toilet top tank try to keep low as its in back corner. Stability is important to me but weight is not.

Always drain before leaving site, empty the wastemaster then drain the hot water into it to give it a good clean out

Ford Kuga Powershift AWD. Bailey Senator Indiana Series 6

+1, always drian the loo and flush tank as well (not onto the pitch of course :D )

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

Always drain the hot water and on board tanks.

Always make sure the loo header tank is atbout half full to help balance the excessive noseweight problem.

If freezing is possible I like to travel with taps and dump valve open as I feel this will truly empty the system. Then so try to remember to close the dump valve go about creepy crawlies.

John

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

With the the on-board tank full It is almost impossible to get my nose-weight below 100kg. Besides, as said, why drag all that weight around. A 5 ltr plastic container will suffice for a brew en-route.

We drain as much as possible via the hot and cold taps into the waste-master, then open the dump valves on the pitch. We never seem to leave a puddle behind

I wonder how many millions of litres people using caravans waste every year by dumping the 10 litres from the hot water boiler?

I wonder how many millions of litres people using caravans waste every year by dumping the 10 litres from the hot water boiler?

Nowhere near as much as gets wasted flushing conventional toilets!

Typically 10 litres of water to get rid of less than half a litre of waste.

Edited by Stevan

Nowhere near as much as gets wasted flushing conventional toilets!

Typically 10 litres of water to get rid of less than half a litre of waste.

Having lived through many droughts in Africa, here in the UK where water is supposed to be plentiful we still adhere to our water conservation guidelines. I think water management by the suppliers is very poor as we should not have drought periods in Britain.

Edited by Durbanite