Nose Down Attitude.

gravon42

On my third Elddis now. But it is the first one with a "nose down attitude " when hitched up.

Has any one else with a 2013 on Avante, Affinity noticed this?

Just a thought. :unsure:

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

Have you checked the noseweight?

Have you changed the car as well?

Is the caravan loaded up to near its MTPLM?

Are the caravan tyres the correct size?

Any, or all of these can affect the caravan's stance.

Have you checked the noseweight? No, but I think it is well below maximum. Will get it checked

Have you changed the car as well? I have, for a newer model Freelander. Both fitted with a LR factory towbar.

Is the caravan loaded up to near its MTPLM? Possibly.

Are the caravan tyres the correct size? Yes, new ones last September

Any, or all of these can affect the caravan's stance.

Edited by gravon42

2011 Land Rover Freelander 2, Lago grey 2013 Freelander Dynamic Black, followed by a 2013 Elddis 574 Magnum GT white

Slightly nose down is preferable to nose up. Depends on the degree of attitude.

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

Er, is the LR towball at the right height?

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

I assume so. It is a fixed type.

If your going to lose sleep over it, then buy one of those plates that bolt on to towbar and have holes at different heights to bolt ball on too.

Affinity is level?

Swift Elegance 480, towed by a Mitsubishi L200 Barbarian X series 6.

Slightly nose down is preferable to nose up. Depends on the degree of attitude.

Waiting now for the aerodynamics experts to chip in.

Living the dream, well more of a nightmare ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Discovery 4 Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

On my Discovery the centre of the towball is 400mm from the ground and my single axle van rides just slightly nose down, exactly how I like it.

There's an EU Directive that states that the towball height must be between 350 and 420mm.

https://caravanchronicles. com/guides/understanding-all-about-tow-ball-height/

Land Rover is now back towing.

So long as the noseweight is set correctly at the respective towball height when hitched up, it makes no difference whether the caravan is level, nose up or nose down. It's only an appearance issue, none affecting function, other than a nose up attitude reduces ground clearance at the rear of the caravan, which could be a problem when negotiating speed bumps, for instance.

Besides, one must allow for build tolerances and depending on how the car and the caravan are loaded, the towball and hitch heights change anyway.

At the sort of speeds caravans are towed at, and considering how big and boxy they are anyway, any aerdodynamic effects of changes in attitude are too small to make any noticeable difference.

I prefer level if possible, or slightly nose down if not.

As per the Bailey manual.

If your going to lose sleep over it, then buy one of those plates that bolt on to towbar and have holes at different heights to bolt ball on too.

Couldn't legally fit one to an xtrail, is the freelander the same?

I prefer level if possible, or slightly nose down if not.

As per the Bailey manual.

I like them that way too,

Lutz says caravan are big and boxy however because of this I think any change in aerodynamics should be taken into consideration, its not just the caravans wind speed but natures wind speed should also be considered.

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Couldn't legally fit one to an xtrail, is the freelander the same?

Not sure about its legality, but adding a drop or riser plate will I assume means the towbar is no longer in spec in respect of Type Approval, is that a problem, legal, insurance or otherwise?

I ask based on the question my car insurance asked. Don't recall exact words but was something like "is it type approved and no modifications?" The answer it's exactly as supplied and fitted by Land Rover seemed to tick the right boxes.

Steve.

Steve

RR & BC

. ... . .. . .. . .. . .. . .. . .. other than a nose up attitude reduces ground clearance at the rear of the caravan, which could be a problem when negotiating speed bumps, for instance.

As part of the Land Rover "service action" I had my detachable towball swapped for a fixed multi height. The dealership fitted the ball at 450mm telling me that this was the same height as the detachable (I should have measured it beforehand !).

The van was slightly nose up, and I lost one of the plastic feet from my rear steadies, presumably on a speed bump or the like.

I've since refitted the ball at 400mm, as per photo.

post-38972-0-35973000-1495189789_thumb.jpg

Land Rover is now back towing.

I like them that way too,

Lutz says caravan are big and boxy however because of this I think any change in aerodynamics should be taken into consideration, its not just the caravans wind speed but natures wind speed should also be considered.

Taking into account the enormous aerodynamic drag that caravans create due to their large exposed frontal area any minor changes resulting from changes in attitude are going to be absolutely negligible.