Yale Digital Home Safe

Popped into Wilkos for some weedkiller for the driveway and came out with a Yale digital home safe. It seems identical to the dozen or more I've used in hotel rooms througout the world. Cost £30 and has pre-drilled holes on the bottom and back for bolting to a floor or wall.

I have just the place in my van than should give a little more security, especially when on the continent.

Jaydug's blog about the mods he his done gave me the idea and for thirty quid I couldn't resist the impulse buy.

(Bracing myself for the "could have got it cheaper/better etc posts, but thought it might be of interest to some).

BMW X5 3. 0d Sport + Coachman Wanderer 19/4

As You Were!

I have a tin of Heinz baked beans that aren't beans.

post-10299-0-34764500-1495134208_thumb.jpg

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Another few kilos on the payload. Just saying, that is all.

It will be an absolute "give away" to anyone nosing around your van where to concentrate their efforts, and I am not sure on a van there is anything that robust to hold it securely in place should their efforts be directed to "winding" it off its fixings.

Tucking things in a Bisto gravy granules tub or spread about the like is IMO more likely to get overlooked; and should they get lucky not do so much collateral damage. Either way, you lose its contents but one way your van gets trashed in the process.

Edited by JTQ

Popped into Wilkos for some weedkiller for the driveway and came out with a Yale digital home safe. It seems identical to the dozen or more I've used in hotel rooms througout the world. Cost £30 and has pre-drilled holes on the bottom and back for bolting to a floor or wall.

I have just the place in my van than should give a little more security, especially when on the continent.

Jaydug's blog about the mods he his done gave me the idea and for thirty quid I couldn't resist the impulse buy.

(Bracing myself for the "could have got it cheaper/better etc posts, but thought it might be of interest to some).

Been there done that. . Just be aware that the digital lock works best in the door is kept vertical.

I had mine installed so the door was at the top and the digital lock was temperamental, as it requires gravity to release the latch. It worked OK with the key though.

I've just removed mine, as the new van comes next week (so I'm told), it was difficult to remove, but then I didn't want to break anything

Bailey Orion News & Information - 

I am not sure on a van there is anything that robust to hold it securely in place should their efforts be directed to "winding" it off its fixings.

If it's just held to the floor with bolts it will be easily jemmied away with the bolt heads tearing through the plywood sandwich. But reinforce the underside of the floor with a thin plate and the safe cant be torn away. Use dome headed coach bolts so that they cannot be undone from the underside of the van.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

If it's just held to the floor with bolts it will be easily jemmied away with the bolt heads tearing through the plywood sandwich. But reinforce the underside of the floor with a thin plate and the safe cant be torn away. Use dome headed coach bolts so that they cannot be undone from the underside of the van.

Okay, but clearly we have very differing ideas on the strength of a sandwich of a 50 odd mm polymer foam clad with 4 > 5 mm plywood at resisting somebody trying to wind it round; I see just a very big hole being torn in the floor allowing the safe to be kicked out through and carried off for a bit of angle grinder attention.

The main point I hold though is that the very presence of a safe is an invitation to concentrate on what somebody has, making breaking it out worth their time. I am not convinced the damage they will be doing is high on their worries, certainly, it would be on mine.

I have to say we don't carry on trips much of value that we could squeeze into a small box safe, what we have we disperse as widely and in as less obvious places as possible.

Maybe you should put the safe in not too securely and leave a bag of pennies in there, then hide your rolls of notes and valuables elsewhere, then when the dastardly villains make off with the safe and hole up in a barn to smash it open and divvy up the loot you can have a little chuckle to yourself.

When travelling we keep passports, cash etc hidden in the car as we think the car is more secure than a caravan. Cash is also split between car, caravan and ourselves. Cards are obviously kept on us with the exception of joint account cards. One is kept hidden in the vehicle and the other hidden in the caravan.

There is at least one video on "youtube" showing how to open these by simply whacking the door with anything hard, like a tin of beans.

It's because the lock is simply held in place by a weak spring on the solenoid.

The trick does work, I've done it on mine!

I now have mine mounted upside down, so that gravity assists the weak spring to stay closed when whacked.

However, a chisel and hammer will also get in pretty quickly, so don't assume it's anything other than a very minor delay to Mr Nasty.

Edited by daveat92

Oh Lord it gets worse! I'm beginning to regret ever starting this thread.

We've got a fake tin of beans, a tin of beans used as a weapon and vandals who are going to use a chainsaw to leave gaping great holes in my caravan, having wrenched the thing from its mountings.

Tomorrow I am going to the local tip and throw the wretched thing in a skip, and then give all my worldly goods to a charity shop, torch the caravan and hang myself.

That will teach me to impulse buy a £30 Yale digital safe!

Edited by exbonneville

As You Were!

Just do what you were going to do at the start, the chances of someone breaking into your van is small and if your safe is well hidden it is unlikely to be found, even if it was broken into.

Oh Lord it gets worse! I'm beginning to regret ever starting this thread.

We've got a fake tin of beans, a tin of beans used as a weapon and vandals who are going to use a chainsaw to leave gaping great holes in my caravan, having wrenched the thing from its mountings. . . . . . .

Not forgetting the gaping great hole in the side of the caravan cut with an angle grinder for them to walk through as they could not get the door open to get to the safe in the first place. :(

Living the dream, well more of a nightmare ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Discovery 4 Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

Not forgetting the gaping great hole in the side of the caravan cut with an angle grinder for them to walk through as they could not get the door open to get to the safe in the first place. :(

Yep. Forgot that. It just gets worser lol.

As You Were!

Just do what you were going to do at the start, the chances of someone breaking into your van is small and if your safe is well hidden it is unlikely to be found, even if it was broken into.

Hiding a safe in a caravan must be on a par with hiding the spare wheel or a gas bottle :D

Hiding a safe in a caravan must be on a par with hiding the spare wheel or a gas bottle :D

It depends on your caravan. It can be done, but I can't tell you where for security reasons! :ph34r:

. . . . . It can be done, but I can't tell you where for security reasons! :ph34r:

You could tell us Wunny but then of course you would have to kill us all! :ph34r:

Living the dream, well more of a nightmare ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Discovery 4 Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

Not forgetting the gaping great hole in the side of the caravan cut with an angle grinder for them to walk through as they could not get the door open

Having had my caravan broken into whilst left on a Continental site whilst we were away for a few days, I can tell you damage was minimal - even if it was quite expensive for me to put right. They ignored the awning side and door because that would be in full view of the campsite but instead they chose the window on the hidden side. The window was jemmied in turn around the four handle locks which being plastic snapped easily allowing them to climb through. Some cupboards and drawers were quickly gone through but nothing was taken. My strong box apparently was not seen as it was covered by a vacuum cleaner in the bathroom cupboard. I did however loose my TV and video player. Were I to guess, I would suspect the two young lads who were in a tent close by and who apparently left the site shortly after we did. Probably the perpetrators were in and out as quickly as possible so as not to attract attention. Certainly not staying long enough to bang about tearing a box from the floor.

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

In view of how poor the locks are, plus the ease with which windows can be forced, and the subsequent expensive repairs, I sometimes wonder if I should just leave the door unlocked.

An honest person won't even try the door, he/she'll just knock on the door and if no reply, go away.

If they want to get in, best make it as damage free as possible.

Don't leave valuables on show, that includes putting the TV out of site.

Take your small valuables (camera, cash, cards, etc) with you and take a photocopy of your passport so that if it goes you at least have something to show who you are.

Short of an armed guard, there's not a great deal you can do, but as others have mentioned, it's pretty unlikely. although not totally unheard of.

Just think about the folks in tents, they don't have ANY security.

Don't let it stop you going away, after all, you could get killed in a car crash on the way !!!

Edited by daveat92

To stop any damage being caused inside the caravan, I've mounted mine on the A frame! :o

post-64061-0-65021400-1495301211_thumb.jpg

Here's the clever bit:

post-64061-0-53957900-1495307395_thumb.jpg

Cloaking device engaged! ;)

I suppose it could be secured in the gas locker. It would be out of sight, could be bolted to the floor so if villains did find and take it the damage would be less that from inside the van. A downside is that accessing it would be in full view of anyone watching you trying to covertly pile your hoard of jewels into the front locker.

Thinks; my front locker is huge with a solid wooden floor so it could be an option. Easily hidden under towels, groundsheets and other locker junk. Erect a windbreak around the A frame and shove the dogs in there. Wouldn't draw the attention then.

As You Were!

• 2 months later...

Having just returned from a camping holiday in France I'll pass on my bad experience.

A thief slashed his(?) way through the canvas (why didn't he just unzip the door?) and ignored everything in the tent except the two bags of clothes I had in there.

The contents of both were scattered around.

His haul was a wallet containing some store loyalty cards, UK bus pass and my library card. No money, passport, credit cards or anything of any value or use to him whatsoever.

I was away out on my bike, so the car was parked beside the tent, but no attempt was made to enter that.

Unfortunately I then had to go and buy another tent because of the gaping hole in the tent door.

Moral - leave nothing of any value in your set up. Take it with you, or double locked inside the car, well out of site.

In all the years we've been camping (20 years) we've never had anything taken. Sad times when you can't go on holiday without getting burgled.

Caravans are laughably easy to get into, all I take when we are out are the car keys as it's becoming more common for them to break into the 'van for your keys to steal the tow car. .