Europe Long Stay Car And Caravan Insurance

P_P

Planning a long stay in Spain and Portugal next winter, any recommendations for car and caravan insurance . Seven months in total.

What sort of insurance do you want? Do you mean breakdown recovery and repatriation? Start by looking at what you already have free with your car insurance or your bank, and see what the extra premium is for extended duration. I added on to my LV car insurance and got a good deal for longish (120days) stay.

Ern

Saga will cover your car overseas for the whole year, maybe the Caravan too (but ask them), otherwise Towergate Baker will cover the caravan overseas for the year, and ADAC will cover the whole year wherever you are for breakdowns.

Edited by moorgate

Saga will cover your car overseas for the whole year, maybe the Caravan too (but ask them), otherwise Towergate Baker will cover the caravan overseas for the year, and ADAC will cover the whole year wherever you are for breakdowns.

Check Saga's conditions very carefully and ask for the European cover in writing. My first year I insured with them on the understanding (verbal) that the policy included 365 days European cover. When I tried to renew the policy I mentioned, in passing, that we had been away for ten months. At this point the agent stated that the policy only covered 180 days European use. Oh yes, she said, the policy is valid for the whole year but only covers 180 days European use during that time.

I am currently insured through Stuart Collins, who provided written confirmation of 365 days cover. Oddly enough, the policy is from the same insurer! Oh, and it was cheaper.

Thanks for the replies will try the recommendations

Try the Caravan Club but I've a feeling it's only 6 months.

Also check your house insurance - need to look for maximum unoccupancy period. Ours is 60 days and a bigger issue than getting car / van cover. Also a darn site bigger risk!

:excl::excl::excl:    Spanish Trip 2020 - :excl::excl::excl: - Time to bailout...

Subscribe to our Blog at the website below and read the diaries of many of our expeditions.

Caravan Ramblings blog

Caravan Club household is 90 days empty, but longer with a few simple conditions.

Their caravan policy is 6 months,

Their car policy is 9 months and their Motor home policy is 9 months

Lunar Clubman SB 2013 following a Hyundai Tucson MHEV 4x4 2 ltr 185 hp Premium SE (2019)

Check Saga's conditions very carefully and ask for the European cover in writing. My first year I insured with them on the understanding (verbal) that the policy included 365 days European cover. When I tried to renew the policy I mentioned, in passing, that we had been away for ten months. At this point the agent stated that the policy only covered 180 days European use. Oh yes, she said, the policy is valid for the whole year but only covers 180 days European use during that time.

I am currently insured through Stuart Collins, who provided written confirmation of 365 days cover. Oddly enough, the policy is from the same insurer! Oh, and it was cheaper.

Agree it seems 365 days cover but 180 days in that period due to 182 days and residency.

If anyone can get it in writing that they will cover over 182 days let us all know .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Sure the C & Cc insurance will cover 12 months breakdown and health insurance.

Bessacarr Cameo 525 towed by SsangYong Rexton 2.2 auto in Brown.

There seems to be confusion in some people's minds between on the one hand the regulations and laws which say you can only use a UK registered car in another EU country for six months before you have to re register it there in order to remain legal . ...and on the other hand the terms of Saga car insurance, which already says in writing on their website their insurance cover is for an "unlimited period" for visits to Europe. Saga insurance makes no mention of a 180 or 182 day limit .

I think the house and contents insurance limits on being away from your house are an important consideration.

As PandR points out in an earlier post.

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

What I'm looking for is car and caravan insurance for seven months out of the UK. We will fly home three times during that period Christmas etc. Home insurance not a problem, health insurance not a problem, just car and caravan insurance for seven months out of UK

There seems to be confusion in some people's minds between on the one hand the regulations and laws which say you can only use a UK registered car in another EU country for six months before you have to re register it there in order to remain legal . .. . and on the other hand the terms of Saga car insurance, which already says in writing on their website their insurance cover is for an "unlimited period" for visits to Europe. Saga insurance makes no mention of a 180 or 182 day limit .

No mention of any limits to foreign use in my Saga Policy Booklet. See page 20.

Saga-Motor-PolicyBooklet. pdf

Edited by onewheelonmywagon

Land Rover is now back towing.

No mention of any limits to foreign use in my Saga Policy Booklet. See page 20.

attachicon.gifSaga-Motor-PolicyBooklet. pdf

Have you phoned them to confirm that is correct as many when phoning are told upto 182 days .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

The policy booklet and my insurance schedule form the contract, but I'm not phoning because I don't need more than 60 days.

Land Rover is now back towing.

There seems to be confusion in some people's minds between on the one hand the regulations and laws which say you can only use a UK registered car in another EU country for six months before you have to re register it there in order to remain legal . ...and on the other hand the terms of Saga car insurance, which already says in writing on their website their insurance cover is for an "unlimited period" for visits to Europe. Saga insurance makes no mention of a 180 or 182 day limit .

OK, may have changed. I was quoting my experience from two years ago. I was definitely told at that time that foreign use was limited to 180 days. Perhaps the agent that I was dealing with was quoting the wrong policy?

Planning a long stay in Spain and Portugal next winter, any recommendations for car and caravan insurance . Seven months in total.

You also need to think about your home insurance as they will need to be advised.