Transverse Beds

gmc15

We have been looking at transverse island bed caravans with the bathroom across the back of the van. Some vans are wide enough so there appears to be enough room to get past the bed to get to the bathroom, but others seem quite tight. Some have retractable beds for during the day to give more space to get past the bed. Has anyone had any problems with this type of bed with matress being damaged with folding daily?

Any comments on the different types of transveres bed design would be helpful. Pros and cons of this type of van layout would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Graeme

BMW X6 M50D + Buccaneer Schooner 2017

We have the transverse split bed and don't have any problems . we use a normal fitted sheet that goes over both bits and the top small bit happily pops up due to the sheet being elasticated underneath it. It pushes back so that mike can get through, we don't have any problems and mike is 6' and clumsy! . i have heard that if you have the alde heating and the radiator is at the bottom that can get in the way but we have the blown air heating.

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

― Oscar Wilde, Lady Windermere's Fan

tags: inspirational, optimism, perception, pessimism

+1 for the transverse bed, I am 6'2 and have no problem with our transverse bed, when we bought our Lunar we took the option to purchase an extra bolster that slots onto the bed base at the pillow end of the mattress which gives an extra few inches of mattress length, even with this in place there is still just enough room to get past the bottom of the bed to get to the bathroom then, during the day we just pop the extra bolster out and slide the base and mattress back in no issues.

To all the insomniacs, look on the bright side there are only three sleeps until Christmas

IMO ideal is a 8 ft wide caravan for the transverse bed to work and allow comfortable squeezing past at night unless your short enough to not need the extra infill mattress . I spent hours at shows lying on transverse beds checking and pulling beds out and trying to squeeze through .

Some I found left the mattresses out and had the appearance of the bed made up and still have space at the bottom . Some put heating vents at the bottom of the wall and some put TV brackets at the bottom on the bed on the wall . I have enough problems squeezing past out corner bed without dragging the covers with me at the moment.

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

We are not tall poeple, so bed length is not a problem, it is more the getting past the bed during the day or if the quilt would be bunched up at the top of the bed it the design is for it to retract.

When we look at vans in the dealers, the beds are not made up so it is s bit difficult to see how they would look fully made and how much space is left at the bottom of the bed.

Dave above makes a fair comment regarding different manufacturers placing items along the wall facing the foot end of the mattress so can only base my opinion on my own van which has nothing along that wall to hinder passage.

To all the insomniacs, look on the bright side there are only three sleeps until Christmas

We have the transverse split bed and don't have any problems . we use a normal fitted sheet that goes over both bits and the top small bit happily pops up due to the sheet being elasticated underneath it.

I want our next van to have this layout but I wasn't sure how the fitted sheet would work? Would it not spring off when the top of the bed is folded back over?

2010 Lunar Delta Ti pulled by a 2012 Volvo XC60 D3 AWD remapped to 210bhp & 501Nm

We are not tall poeple, so bed length is not a problem, it is more the getting past the bed during the day or if the quilt would be bunched up at the top of the bed it the design is for it to retract.

When we look at vans in the dealers, the beds are not made up so it is s bit difficult to see how they would look fully made and how much space is left at the bottom of the bed.

post-75029-0-40929100-1495024639_thumb.jpg

I don't know whether this helps but under that blanket is a duvet. When not using the top of the duvet is tucked round the pillows at the top and the part of the mattress that pops up I have a bolster pillow covered in my own fabric that goes on the top and two rectangular scatter cushions to make it. Look pretty, lol . We also use these to lounge about on the bed with in the day

I want our next van to have this layout but I wasn't sure how the fitted sheet would work? Would it not spring off when the top of the bed is folded back over?

Ours doesn't and the fitted sheet isn't extra deep. In fact when the top is pulled up I push the extra sheet in between the top and bottom to smooth it out.

Edited by Lozzyf

The transverse bed in our Delta is ideal.

Yes, you have to be careful going past the end of the bed at night but its perfectly do-able.

And we have never had a problem with the gas struts keeping the bed open, even with 8kg of feather topper.

It would be great if the bed were a little wider, but then caravans are relatively small inside and it is always a trade off.

When an 8' wide caravan is produced with a decent payload and an MTPLM of 1800 or less we will be in the market.

Thanks Lozzyf, just the sort of info. we are after :) Sounds like, with a bit of thought the bedding can be made to look neat during the day if the bed is a retractable type.

We will have to look into what is at the wall at the bottom of the bed to see how this might hinder us getting past. Another concern is if you catch the flimsy window blinds, if there is a window fitted in the van at the bottom of the bed, and damage them :)

Transverse works fine for us, and it's just seconds to push back and make it easier for getting past in the day. Wouldn't go back to anything else now we have seen the light!

We are happy with our "French" bed at the moment as I sleep on the outside and I'm the only one who ever needs to get out at night, but that could change in the future.

So we looked at transverse and found some, when pulled out for the night make it almost impossible for the person on the left to squeeze past to the bathroom, especially if a chunky duvet is on the bed (which, as has already been mentioned, you rarely see in a show van). So they rather defeat the object IMHO.

In addition, If my son and daughter in law were to stop over and use the lounge as a double, at the moment they can glide by to the bathroom but would have difficulty with some of the tranverse models.

BMW X5 3. 0d Sport + Coachman Wanderer 19/4

As You Were!

Thanks Lozzyf, just the sort of info. we are after :) Sounds like, with a bit of thought the bedding can be made to look neat during the day if the bed is a retractable type.

We will have to look into what is at the wall at the bottom of the bed to see how this might hinder us getting past. Another concern is if you catch the flimsy window blinds, if there is a window fitted in the van at the bottom of the bed, and damage them :)

I've never caught my fat backside on the window blinds and the only time it is a squeeze is when the bed is fully out at night time. Our main hiccup is our dogs trying to get wherever we want to go before us and we fall over them!!!

Certainly on the Bailey U3/Cartagena, the head-end of the mattress that flips over is only about 6 or 8 inches long. ..it's triangular shaped and the pillows just sit on top of it when the bed's retracted. Bailey do custom-fit bedding (not cheap), and I can confirm that it doesn't pop-off when you flip the extension over.

There's absolutely no issues passing the bed when it's in retracted mode. At night it is a tighter squeeze but easily doable. There's a duct for the Alde heating running along the wall opposite the bottom of the bed, but it doesn't impede access (practicably if you imagine someone stood up, their bottom sticks out further than their heels so it's that which is the determining factor!).

Wow subject my wife and I discussed this weekend whilst away in the caravan.

We have a Coachman Pastiche 575 of 2016 vintage.

We bought this van for the transverse bed, because we wanted to be able to get in and out of bed without disturbing each other.

For the person sleeping away from the bathroom that's me, when the bed is pulled out for sleeping I can't walk past the end to go to the toilet, neither can my wife if I go to bed before her get to her side without climbing over me!

When we looked at it all seemed to work fine, but in practice with bedding on it doesn't.

So we are looking to change it in a couple of years time for the end bed with mid bathroom, still under the discussion phase yet tho.

Edited by Guest

Wow subject my wife and I discussed this weekend whilst away in the caravan.

We have a Coachman Pastiche 575 of 2016 vintage.

We bought this van for the transverse bed, because we wanted to be able to get in and out of bed without disturbing each other.

For the person sleeping away from the bathroom that's me, when the bed is pulled out for sleeping I can't walk past the end to go to the toilet, neither can my wife if I go to bed before her get to her side without climbing over me!

When we looked at it all seemed to work fine, but in practice with bedding on it doesn't.

So we are looking to change it in a couple of years time for the end bed with mid bathroom, still under the discussion phase yet tho.

Try a Lunar!

We have the transverse bed in our challenger. No problem at all during the day as there is plenty of room. Alde heating makes no difference and the blind is no problem either. We have however found that at night, it is much easier to pass the end of the bed if you face the window and let your backside skim the bed.

We didn't go for this layout for one reason . ...

My mother sometimes joins us, if the bed was pulled out she would have had to squeeze past the bottom of the bed to get to the loo in the night . ... main concern was potentially burning her legs on the alde radiator that runs along the offiside wall on Swifts of this layout.

2018 Swift Elegance 580  towed by a 2018 Volvo XC60 D5 Power Pulse R Design

Ditto.

We wanted a fixed bed and looked at vans with this layout but went for an end island bed, simply because we felt the end bathroom when you have guests is a bit awkward, our Charisma has a side bathroom which works for us.

If you have a transverse bed as I have you can get the shaped fitted sheets online from a few different manufacturers . Just do a Google search . The ones we got were not very expensive and are good sheets (egyption cotton )

We have one in our Hymer. It doesn't have a bolster, but the bed frame slides and rises like a sun lounger the mattress also is hinged. So it takes seconds to go from one mode to another and the beding stays in place. In the day position, it is possible to easily get past the end of the bed and even sleep on it. Pulled out it is tight squeeze to get past the end but perfectly easy to do. The sheet we bought was a custom made one. Actually that's a lie it was a double fitted sheet bought from Aldi reduced to £4. 50 and it works fine, we bought a spare from Lidl for about the same price and that's fine as well. The bed is very comfortable no need for a topper.

The only thing I would say is the Hymer is 2. 4m wide, I not sure I would want to have this layout in a narrower van something's got to give. If you are serious about this layout why not take some beding make the bed up in the demo van at the dealer to check if it works for you. After all you are going to invest £20k and you spend a third of your time in bed, probably more if you are on holiday. Seems worth testing it out properly otherwise you could either make an expensive mistake or miss out on a layout that works for you because you are being too cautious.

Hi all, just a quick point. I thought I was convinced about transverse beds having looked at loads. However someone once said that what appears in motorhomes often filters down to caravans and it appears that the trend in motorhomes is fixed North - South rear beds with a central bathroom. Just seen a fabulous Roller team motorhome with this configuration and honestly it was awesome! I know a few caravans offer rear fixed bads as I have described and some have central washrooms but most seem to have a seperate toilet on one side of the van and a shower on the other both of which are quite small. The thing about the motorhome versios is that the whole of the rrear can be closed off effectively giving an en suite bedroom.

The reason for my comment is that I think this layout will prove more popular than the transverse bed arrangement and have a longer appeal. Not only that but I seeno rreason why the caravans with a center bathroom should be any longer than a simirarly specced van with a rear bathroom. Either way its horses for courses just thought I would throw my two penny worth in.

Hi all, just a quick point. I thought I was convinced about transverse beds having looked at loads. However someone once said that what appears in motorhomes often filters down to caravans and it appears that the trend in motorhomes is fixed North - South rear beds with a central bathroom. Just seen a fabulous Roller team motorhome with this configuration and honestly it was awesome! I know a few caravans offer rear fixed bads as I have described and some have central washrooms but most seem to have a seperate toilet on one side of the van and a shower on the other both of which are quite small. The thing about the motorhome versios is that the whole of the rrear can be closed off effectively giving an en suite bedroom.

The reason for my comment is that I think this layout will prove more popular than the transverse bed arrangement and have a longer appeal. Not only that but I seeno rreason why the caravans with a center bathroom should be any longer than a simirarly specced van with a rear bathroom. Either way its horses for courses just thought I would throw my two penny worth in.

I loved the idea but when I actually SAW the van it wasn't for me. It might as well be a two berth as when you shut the doors it doesn't look like a large caravan . Although I did see the Adria alpina ( I think ) that had a view straight through and didn't feel restricted in the middle

The problem with that design is that it gives an awful lot of storage space under the bed, right at the back of the caravan where any weight would cause instability. That's not an issue on motorhomes.

Also, the beds tend to be short on caravans because they're limited by physics of the location of the wheel arch - having a TA doesn't help as the wheel arch is then bigger.

Changed our transverse Clubman Si for single bed SB model.

Main reason was that after 18 months the edges of the matress starting to'flop' over the frame giving a feeling of rolling out of bed.

Also, with the matress extended at night, it was tight getting past, although the boxed in Alde heating probably contributed to this.

Find the SB model much better and more spacious.