Another Damp Bailey!

gmc15

Just got the van (2014 Pegasus GT65 Verona) back from it's 3rd service and they have found damp behind the near side wheel arch. 63%. The van was bought from a local dealer so there are no problems with getting it repaired under warranty. Probably won't go to be repaired until July/August so we will just use it as normal until then. Has anyone any idea how long a repair takes? I know it depends upon the extend of the damp, but any sort of idea on repair time as we want to book up for a few places later in the year.

Graeme.

Had this in my 2013 Valencia, dealer replaced the nearside wheel arch box (Cracked) & the under bed locker door. The floor dried out ok without being replaced. Believe it took about 10 days or so as the floor plastic covering has to be peeled back to allow it to dry out. No problems with damp since at the last 2 services. When I collected the caravan I asked them to check the damp whilst I watched just to make sure it was dry.

Thanks for the info. Hopefully it won't take too long to fix and it will be OK.

Just took our Pursuit for its third service and waiting for a phone call with some trepidation. Shouldn't have to be like this really,should it?

Hi GMC15

We have the exact same issue, nothing to do with split wheel arch problem. Internal readings are above 40% and when I look underneath the outer floor by the rear of the arch is sodden. Looks like the drip/side moulding rail is causing the issue. Just waiting on my dealer to give me a repair date.

Beebs

Thanks Beebs, I will have a look at that when I next get the van from storage. The dealer said just use the van as normal until it is repaired later in the year. I am not going to worry about it as it is covered under warranty. I will probably change the van later this year after it has been repaired. Do I go for another Bailey?????? Still not decided on that one :)

2016 van 3 leaks 3 different areas never another Bailey

Had a call today to collect van after its third service. Didn't mention any damp so hopefully ok. We did have roof joint repaired in the winter though.

Had a call today to collect van after its third service. Didn't mention any damp so hopefully ok. We did have roof joint repaired in the winter though.

I had the call to pick my van up after the service and they didn't say anything over the phone about damp. When I went to collect the van they showed me the damp report and then mentioned that they had filed a warranty claim with Bailey.

Hopefully yours will not be the same :)

You are not alone.

Unicorn 3 Seville & 12 months old. The ever growing list of faults (some repaired/changed, some ongoing) are

3 front panoramic windows

2 small front offside & 1 nearside windows

3 offside seat cushions/bases

All soft closing drawers re-aligned

Solar panel not working

BBQ point changed (re-call)

Awning strip light LED to be replaced

Creaking seats/bed

Shower leaking (ongoing)

Roof joint (offside) leaking (on going/ parts ordered)

Front nearside window leaking (on-going)

To think we changed from a virtually fault free Olympus 2 534/4 . ... to the "flagship" model,as we wanted to downsize.

Wish we had never bothered as this is the worst van for faults we have had & seem to find more every time we use it.

Feel sorry for Venture caravans who are doing their best to sort all the issues that Bailey should of got right in the

first place.

A pile of junk & more than likely to p/x it sooner than later . .. but once all is sorted ( if it ever is) . . do we keep it ??

Very wary of buying new "top of the range" anything again.

It took me two years to sort out my Unicorn issues, but the following years up to this year were virtually fault free.

On year 6 the damp appeared again, so I'd had enough.

Beautiful interior on the U1 IMO, but I'm not convinced the brand is capable of producing consistent quality. In comparison my Senator was much better, only 25 faults, Unicorn around 40!!

Edited by xtrailman

Yes I have to agree. Our 2006 Senator was great (other vthan design fault re keeping noseweight down) & virtually problem free for 11yrs. Not so the current Pegasus!

Edited by Endeeo

Yes I have to agree. Our 2006 Senator was great (other vthan design fault re keeping noseweight down) & virtually problem free for 11yrs. Not so the current Pegasus!

Same here, 2007 Senator was a brilliant fault free van, no damp, wish I could say the same for the current van :angry:

I had the call to pick my van up after the service and they didn't say anything over the phone about damp. When I went to collect the van they showed me the damp report and then mentioned that they had filed a warranty claim with Bailey.

Hopefully yours will not be the same :)

Sorry to hear your problems Tourer2,won't blame you if you got rid of it and never bought a Bailey again. Sadly I got rid of my Olympus and thought a brand new nearly 20k Pegasus would be a great decision how wrong was I. This van was to last ten years can't see me keeping it

Went to pick it up today and all damp readings were between 14 and 16% which the man said were quite low. Like I said,did have a leaking roof joint done recently so not entirely trouble free.

Thing is, apart from going down the "rejection" of the van route . .... there's not much we can do, other than highlight our

"issues" so that other owners or potential buyers, are aware what "potentially" they might be letting themselves in for?

As others have said, while we keep buying them, poor quality vans of ALL makes & models, will still be sent out from

the various factories, for us poor buyers & supplying dealers to deal with & sort out !. If my own issues were obvious

early doors, I may well of thought of rejecting it. It has only been the past 2 months or so, that all sorts have been failing.

I guess most of us go along with the attitude that once a particular problem has been rectified . ..... that hopefully

that will be it, & surely nothing else can go wrong ??? But as a few have found out. ... these new vans have a habit

of going "wrong" far too regularly for it to be just "bad luck" !

• 4 weeks later...

An extension to my already long list of faults made earlier. We have a definite front nearside window leak & if not spotted,

the rain water can trickle down into the small air vent under the window. We only spotted ours as the van was leaning slightly

(offside down) on the drive, & water was coming in, dripping off bottom right hand corner of the blind surround, & spilling

onto the top of the chest of drawers & running off onto the offside seat cushions! When van is level, the water is going straight

down this air vent & I guess onto the floor below . .... where I found pools of water around & under the BBQ point area.

I have so many rags now stuffed everywhere soaking up water it is beyond belief. Both myself & Venture caravans are

aghast at the amount of issues I have had with this mobile Sieve. As mentioned earlier the van is waiting parts for the

dreaded roof joint leak & now further investigation as to how the water is getting in around window & floor at nearside corner.

It just goes on & on. At least it looks like the shower leak is now sorted . ..... though I guess that is tempting fate?

Never again will waste my hard earned on a new Bailey. The amount of unhappy Bailey owners on here is frightening !

Ditto never buy a Bailey

I gave up after 5 years, towing back and forth for repair after repair, spending every holiday checking corners for damp and mostly finding it, roof joint sealed, perimeter around the floor sealed twice, bumpers removed four times with tube after tube of sealant spread and pumped on the corner joints, sections of the floor replaced twice, wheel arch liners replaced after they cracked end to end, 4 window seals. .. Alutech is a good principle on paper and that's as far as it should have got when you just look at the basic principles of sealing the floor to wall joint as an example it is so obvious there will be problems with water reaching the floor a designer worth his salt would have never released the design to production.

Then we have to accept the skill level of people working in the Bailey factory is in question, I attempted to reject the Orion when first bought after finding numerous small damages in the GRP, holes in flooring, screws driven through furniture on angles you just couldn't explain how or why, even a 4ft strip of wooden trim just missing, a leaking rear window and numerous other issues. . the answer from Bailey through the supplying dealer was rejection refused as theses issues were "typical and representative of the standard of all Bailey builds" ***** hell even they themselves confessed they were rubbish at building caravans. ... never again and I tell many people aviod at all cost, just maybe a drop in sales might waken Bailey up, that said they probably have enough of a back log of caravans to repair to keep the entire factory shop floor in work for several years. ..

Edited by OrionSJG

Yes . ... that's pretty much how it is OrionSJG . ... & I expect all/most will agree with your statement?

Truly shocking standards of "workmanship" & design.

• 2 weeks later...

Just got the van (2014 Pegasus GT65 Verona) back from it's 3rd service and they have found damp behind the near side wheel arch. 63%. The van was bought from a local dealer so there are no problems with getting it repaired under warranty. Probably won't go to be repaired until July/August so we will just use it as normal until then. Has anyone any idea how long a repair takes? I know it depends upon the extend of the damp, but any sort of idea on repair time as we want to book up for a few places later in the year.

Graeme.

We have just had our Verona GT65 serviced and damp was found on the offside, near the wardrobe the readings were in the order of 100 percent. I was told on the quiet that damp is proving very common on the Alu Tec build and Bailey are very aware of the problem, we have had to wait six weeks before this could be attended to by our dealer. What chance with the resale value as this build problem becomes known. This is our fourth Bailey and boy are we disappointed!

I've got some damp in my Unicorn 3, not much but it's going in on Monday to have it seen to.

My dealer has a full time member of staff for each of the marques that he sells (Bailey, Coachman and Elddiss/Buccaneer) who's job it is to sort out service and warranty items on his offerings and he reckons that they are all as bad or as good as each other, none of them stands out

I've got some damp in my Unicorn 3, not much but it's going in on Monday to have it seen to.

My dealer has a full time member of staff for each of the marques that he sells (Bailey, Coachman and Elddiss/Buccaneer) who's job it is to sort out service and warranty items on his offerings and he reckons that they are all as bad or as good as each other, none of them stands out

I would concur, I read a lot of forums and all vans have their issues. It is disappointing but I would ask if we expect too much from a wobble box on wheels? Look at all water ingress possibilities on a caravan and it's a wonder they don't leak more than they do, which is a lot.

There is no magic solution, while caravan manufacturers have to make a profit to survive, I do believe we get a lot for our money.

A U3 is around 22k, after the VAT is taken that's about 17. 5k, then the dealers profit, then the warranty provision, and so on and so on.

I am not condoning the fact they leak, it's terrible and heartbreaking, however if there was an easy solution any one of the manufacturers would be implementing it, yet they aren't. ...

I would concur, I read a lot of forums and all vans have their issues. It is disappointing but I would ask if we expect too much from a wobble box on wheels? Look at all water ingress possibilities on a caravan and it's a wonder they don't leak more than they do, which is a lot.

There is no magic solution, while caravan manufacturers have to make a profit to survive, I do believe we get a lot for our money.

A U3 is around 22k, after the VAT is taken that's about 17. 5k, then the dealers profit, then the warranty provision, and so on and so on.

I am not condoning the fact they leak, it's terrible and heartbreaking, however if there was an easy solution any one of the manufacturers would be implementing it, yet they aren't. . . .

I have to disagree . .. With new materials and design technology these caravan shouldn't fail with water ingress and constantly go against there advertising claims of quality, durability and technological achievements. The "wobble box" you talk about has never been so less wobbling thinks to new chassis technology.

The failure within the first few years or even first months are down to poor design, production techniques and standards. What's worst is some manufactures don't learn form their failings and take almost no action to remedy production issues.

For me the winner here is Swift and its Smart HT design . . I haven't heard of one with water ingress and Smart Plus is a cheaper alternative with only a ply inner floor, with GRP outer floor skin and outer floor battens made of composite plastic.

With a U3 at 22 grand, there's enough profit margin to keep everyone happy and of course your 22 grand doesn't stop there with yearly servicing costs on the van and its equipment to keep you guarantee valid.

So I couldn't ever submit into agreeing that the quality of caravans that we're being offered is acceptable . .. Sorry.

Edited by Silverback