Model Variations During Model Year?

steveclv

We have just purchased a 2004 Lunar Delta 640EW and while browsing through the Internet looking at other 2004 models, I noticed quite a few differences between models that are allegedly the same model and the same year - is this normal?

For example, our bathroom wall is all wood walls and others I have seen are wallpapered. Likewise with the backsplash behind the cooker and on the opposite side behind the second work surface.

Also our refrigerator is behind a cabinet door and on others it stands proud into the room.

Were these optional extras or just variations during the year (2005 models didn't seem to have them either)

Edited by steveclv

It is not normal for models to be changed during the Production year.

Did the 2003 models have these features though. IOW have you been sold a 2003 van as a 2004.

Edited by b4bill

I agree with b4bill, it isn't normal for manufacturers to change a caravan that's in a production run, you may find the odd tweak but nothing major, unless a fault has been found.

2020 VW Touareg R line towing 2019 VIP 565 with powertouch mover.

Have you checked the serial number because that should be proof.

Ern

Yes, folk do get confused between Calendar Year (Jan to Dec) and the caravan industry's Model Year (Sept to Aug).

As an aside I notice on the Skoda website that they're currently featuring a note as follows:

Please note – Factory orders from 28 April 2017 will reflect Model Year 18 specification and pricing as shown in our Car Configurator. Our website reflects Model Year 17 specifications (including fuel efficiency and emissions performance) and pricing. These models are available from UK stock only. Model images shown are for illustration purposes only and may vary from UK specification. Please speak to your local ŠKODA retailer for more information.

which suggests that any factory order after 28th April will have the spec and price for 2018MY. That really is a bit previous, but maybe in Czechoslovakia the New Year starts in May.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

Wonder if it's had damp repairs and rather than try to match what was there,they've used something different altogether. Just a thought,not trying to put a downer on things.

The VIN decodes as a 2004 and I have found one other van advertised with the same changes - and lots without. Definitely a factory fit and not a repair.

Here are two examples - both advertised as 2004 models - weird!

post-84211-0-51118600-1494870646_thumb.jpg

post-84211-0-90658600-1494870646_thumb.jpg

Would a dealer special have those differences?

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

They've got to be different Model Years.

The obvious difference is the fridge (I wonder where it went), but the upholstery is different, the oven finish is different, the wallboard surface is different. The only thing the same in those pics is the furniture.

Edit - not even sure about the furniture. The wooden trim round the worktop has a line around the middle in one pic and is plain in the other. Also the drawers around the sink/fridge are a completely different configuration on the other pic. Cupboard handles look the same, as does the under roof locker light fitting.

The fridge is located behind the left door - same position on both. The fabric is user configured I am sure as they do offer different patterns. Ovens are the same - bad lighting on one of the photos.

I have just realised that the Delta and the Lexon both look identical in the kitchen area - as the Delta is the higher end model methinks that they are Lexons be advertised as Deltas!

Edited by steveclv

If the fridge is under that big cupboard door what has happened to the small drawers above the fridge? Also it may not be poor photography. Early ovens were sometimes coloured. I've seen green, brown, burgundy and grey ovens, but black has been almost ubiquitous for the last dozen years or so.

Would a dealer special have those differences?

I thought the same. Coachman dealerships have several "specials" that add extras and modify specs with their own name. Mine is a Wanderer, that was the name attributed to the very first ever touring caravan, apparently! Fundamentally the same base model but with variations.

BMW X5 3. 0d Sport + Coachman Wanderer 19/4

As You Were!

Ah but dealer specials tend to be different decals, different fabrics plus bits that can be screwed on during production like heavy duty stabilisers, ATC, extra LED strips, bigger Heki's, chromed grab handles, maybe different roof locker doors but I've not heard of cabinetry or worktop edging being altered. And, generally dealer specials are the entry range tarted up a bit, not the mid or top ranges.

I am fairly sure that you have a Lexon and not a Delta. It should show this on the registration or CRiS document.

I am fairly sure that you have a Lexon and not a Delta. It should show this on the registration or CRiS document.

Surely it would say 'Delta' or 'Lexon' on the exterior decal graphics and I doubt anyone would bother with the effort needed to obtain different decals and remove the originals and apply false ones.

As said differences can be they are quoting a 2004 model built in 2003 .

Dealers sell a caravan as that years model like 2004 but when you sell it they quote the build date from the Vin number which could be the year before .

I'm lucky in that my model and build year are the same .

Dave

Edited by CommanderDave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

Surely it would say 'Delta' or 'Lexon' on the exterior decal graphics and I doubt anyone would bother with the effort needed to obtain different decals and remove the originals and apply false ones.

Ours was a Freelander or dealer special so it was not marked Lexon although it had the trimmings of a Delta. Possibly the same with the OP?

Ours was a Freelander or dealer special so it was not marked Lexon although it had the trimmings of a Delta. Possibly the same with the OP?

But the OP only ever refers to a Delta 640EW and if it had another ID surely he'd have said?

It definitely says Delta on the side and it was sold on 30/04/2004 so I imagine it's a 2003 model - in which case they seriously reduced the quality in 2004!

2003MY vans would have ceased production in Summer'03, so it's likely yours would be a 2004MY van, unless it was 'old' stock from at least 9 months before. One thing it definitely wouldn't be is a 2005MY van.

If you have the original gas and electricity certificates they'd have the date of final sign off on them.