How Does Anyone Secure Their Valuables ?

I have just looked at a security box for the van but -

1. It doesn't look big enough

2. The bigger ones are going to add a lot of weight to the van

3. There must be a better alternative?

I don't take jewellery or anything like that but it's mainly iPads that we don't want to carry round with us. As we are thinking about a trip abroad this question popped up. Up till now we have hidden them around the place and hoped.

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

― Oscar Wilde, Lady Windermere's Fan

tags: inspirational, optimism, perception, pessimism

Here's mine. It's a lockable cash box bolted to the floor in the bathroom cupboard. I also have my vacuum cleaner sitting in there so the box isn't obvious at first glance.

post-261-0-12721400-1494837154_thumb.jpg

Citroen C5-X7 Tourer+Avondale Rialto 480/2
https://jondogoescaravanning.com

Here's my advice. We work on the assumption that the most likely type is the opportunist, someone prowling round looking in caravans to see if there is anything valuable left visible and accessible. Leave a camera on a table near a window on the latch and it's quite likely you'll get done. The people will want to grab something visible which is easy to sell and get away quickly. Easy entry is a window on the latch in a concealed place like in an awning. As far as the other type of theft goes (professional and prepared) you will not defeat them. A safe box will be removed no matter how you've fixed it, and they're not bothered how much damage they do. Make sure your valuables are insured and you follow the rules set by the insurer. Relax (but not too much) and enjoy your holiday, or don't bother going. We have a detailed security plan which I couldn't divulge on here, to minimise our risks. Discuss it with your partner and other members so that your plan is clearly understood. We hope our plan has worked for the last 45 years of touring, but of course we don't know that do we?

Ern

There is no such thing as real security in a caravan!

Any kind of strongbox advertises the location of your valuables so needs to either be very well hidden or very strong (for "strong" read "heavy").

If you're going to hide the strongbox you may as well just hide the valuables.

The best hiding places are often in relative plain sight but disguised. Many cushions have zips, so inside a cushion is one good place. There are many other such hiding places but since I use some of them I am not telling where on an open forum!

12v cctv cam

How does that work in a caravan? If the lowlife see the camera they will nick it as well, if they can't see the camera it won't stop then nicking anything else!

i see what you saying guys how many use the bailey unicorn alarm system we have one in hows but always wonder if its going to start going off on it own

My take is that to have a safe place to store valuables in the van is worth considering!

I've had a car boot prised open when in France donkeys years ago and because I had a metal "ammunition box" (some will know what I mean) bolted to the boot floor and securely locked nothing was stolen. Yes, of course, had the thief come equipped with cutting gear etc etc!

My caravan has a safe which weighs around 5kg. It is just big enough for an SLR, 3 lenses, wallets, passports, jewellry. I have it well hidden and bolted through the floor and a vertical panel. I was able to locate a matching wood effect panel scrapped from my dealer and the thing is boxed in with velcro holding the covering panel in place. To the casual observer it is a section to the end of a bed, that contains electrical equipment! It is not something you would notice as out of place simply by raising the mattress and peering under the bed.

If anyone found the safe and decided they wanted it then unless they worked in silence and had a lot of time to remove it I am confident it would defeat their attempts. The weak link in these safes is the lock itself but unlikely a casual thief would manage to open it.

I think a foreign registered car parked in a secluded spot abroad is more likely to attract attention than a caravan on a caravan site - beyond the casual thief noticing something through a window!

Perhaps something else should be made clear. Simply that I have confidence our set up works and therefore do not constantly worry about carrying everything around etc. All helps to make the holiday more relaxed.

Santa Fe 7 Seater Premium Manual towing Swift Eccles 480 plated to 1500 kg. 

Most of Europe is probably safer than the UK, there are plenty of hidey holes in a caravan to stick stuff, it is more dangerous when traveling on the highways for bandits.

Most of Europe is probably safer than the UK, there are plenty of hidey holes in a caravan to stick stuff, it is more dangerous when traveling on the highways for bandits.

Yikes - Glad I do my most mileage in Europe nut bit scary to think there may be "bandits" waiting around every corner! Not heard of too many attacks here in the UK.

Santa Fe 7 Seater Premium Manual towing Swift Eccles 480 plated to 1500 kg. 

Yikes - Glad I do my most mileage in Europe nut bit scary to think there may be "bandits" waiting around every corner! Not heard of too many attacks here in the UK.

If they look like yul Brynner they can take the lot!!!( I'm sooooooo shallow)

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

― Oscar Wilde, Lady Windermere's Fan

tags: inspirational, optimism, perception, pessimism

I agree, there's no real security in a caravan other than keeping things out of view.

I do have a secure place but it's a secret. ! !

Once I hid the car keys inside a wall light but forgot about them.

Next day when I picked up the keys the heat from the bulb had melted the plastic on the key.

2017 Mercedes Benz 220 CLS  AMG design Shooting Brake. 

Your car glove box probably safest place as inside a deadlocked car alarmed and then inside a locked glove box.

SO would use that if worried about something

Unless you've tried it, you simply won't understand. .....

If a thief has gained access to a caravan, intent on searching for valuables, (as opposed to an opportunist who has seen an item and just grabs it an runs), presumably he will be going 'equipped for theft'. To such a thief, a 'safe' bolted to the floor / walls isn't going to offer much protection. It will just suggest 'valuables on board'.

The safe will be relatively light and thus very portable. The caravan floor and walls will provide little resistance to brute once and the whole safe has gone, to be dealt with at his leisure.

Best thing is as far as possible leave nothing easily portable and and easily saleable on view for the opportunist to grab and run. Ensure that the caravan is locked and alarmed, valuables out of sight etc whilst unoccupied and don't worry too much about the professional, more determined thief. Let your insurance company worry about them because nothing you do (lawfully) will stop them.

Hidey holes are the best solution in my view. Just break up cash into small amounts and put it in hidey holes around the van. They'll run having found something I would think, so finding some cash may satisfy them. Also no damage is done crowbarring the safe from the floor. I set the alarm each time I leave the van which is pretty high spec. I'm on first name terms with the guy who calls to check all is ok when I set it off in my pocket.

Strange this as I think caravanning is extremely safe from theft. I have been caravanning for over 30 years and have never come across theft from inside a van. I'm sure loads of folks will no doubt mention thefts that they have, unfortunately, had or know of others. I agree with much of what has been said. Keep valuables out of sight etc but also make a point of chatting to neighbours and folk in vans in the immediate area so hopefully if they see anything suspicious they will take appropriate action. Its also part of what caravanning is about - meeting people.

[quote name="Omega54" post="1460198" timestamp="1494853306"

Edited by Omega54

We caravan in Europe most of the time and we have one rule that is easy to meet. ...pitch next to the Dutch.

They rarely venture away from the campsite and are extremely nosey. :)

We take a chance and just hide the credit cards and money split up into smaller amounts, and keep computers and cameras out of sight. Problem can be when I forget where I put the money!

Kia Sorrento towing a Coachman VIP 575/4

Our blog: jennyandjohngocaravanning. wordpress. com

My caravan has a safe which weighs around 5kg. It is just big enough for an SLR, 3 lenses, wallets, passports, jewellry.

Same here. I find a Self Loading Rifle to be one of the greatest deterrents when it comes to dealing with bandits ;-)

BMW X5 3. 0d Sport + Coachman Wanderer 19/4

As You Were!

• 5 months later...

i have a lockable metal box like a large cash box that I can put in the kids tech.   I secure it in place in such a way its difficult to get leverage at the sides to prise it open or pull it out.    however that makes it a pain to get in and out of.   

Its not a deterrent but it hidden enough that it delays any would be thief looking for it and thus increasing their exposure of being found. which i think is they key make it hard for them as you cant make it impossible.   

We had looked at those tin and box safes that look like a tin of soup or box of Corn flakes but they look really fake and could easily be found.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

2015 BMW 330d Touring Xdrive pulling A 2014 Bailey Unicorn S2 Cadiz

We don't secure our "valuables" - if you call a cheap laptop valuable - it gets put out of sight when we leave the caravan and the alarm put on - everything is insured - if they want it they'll get it anyway.

2015 VW Touareg 3. 0 V6 TDI + 2013 Lunar Clubman ES

• 3 months later...

Safe bolted through the floor with large metal plates (10cm square) underneath. Job done. Most caravan thefts are basically smash and grab.  

I am happy with that, other feel that a giddy hole is good enough. Personal choice.

Andy

Experience is something you acquire after you have an urgent need for it.

I don't take any valuables as such, but I would think that a car is the safer place to put things.    We are always told not to leave things on view  which is sensible advice.  

28 minutes ago, joanie said:

I don't take any valuables as such, .

Quite agree. ...I don't even have a watch in the caravan,just a Kindle and an iPhone. ...Jewels/Rings, only those my wife would normally wear outside. ..we did lose engagement ring and a necklace when the 'van burned  down but that's all.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530