The Giro, Geraint Thomas And Bravery

WispMan

Today was the first mountain top finish. Thomas was lying 2nd overall and Adam Yates 3rd.

15km to go and part of the peloton crash due to an idiotic police motorcyclist by the side of the road. .

Thomas's shoulder blade was put out. Someone pushed it back in and Geraint road up the hill. That or give up the Giro.

After the finish, he declines to talk as he is a bit angry. Maybe later.

How many footballers would do this? I think they are all soft. Cyclists just get on regardless.

In a Japanese triathlon last week, Brownlee crashed and wrecked his bike. What did he do?

Pick up his bike and carried it on his shoulder for the rest of the cycle phase.

Makes you proud to be British!!!

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in Croatia st the moment and can get Eurosport German as free to air on my satellite set up. Watched today's Giro stage to Bormio and heartily feel sad for Tom Doumolin losing time through dumping at the side of the road. I was shocked at first to see his helmet and jersey come off, but soon realised what was happening. I thought he rode brilliantly to keep the pink jersey. Chapeau to Tom D.

Ps my German does not extend to following the commentary.

John

Agreed John - I wondered what was happening and then, like the cameraman, I suddenly realised what was happening. He hadn't ridden well up to that point. But after getting rid of the unwanted weight (possibly from an upset stomach judging by the speed of him) he rode really well to maintain his pink jersey.

And Italy had their first stage win of the Giro.

Graham

This has been one of the closest Giro tours for a few years.

Down to the last stage with an individual time trial and a few riders who can win. My money and hopes are on Tom Dumoulin. Also great to see Frenchman Pinot get his first grand tour stage win yesterday.

But the riders will not be on their best form at the end of 3 weeks and after several gruelling mountain stages.

Graham