Gas Bottle Cross Threaded , No Indication?

Lozzyf

We are away this weekend and before we set off I went and got our safefill bottle topped up and mike refitted it. We arrived yesterday afternoon set up . I turned the gas bottle on And set the water/heating on mix2 ( gas and electric) everything on the panel looked ok. Today I went to use the oven and found out that we hadn't got gas to it! So after messing about turning the switch on and off trying the fridge on gas, that seemed to go on ( no flashing or warning lights) then fitting and refitting the gas bottle we realised we must have crossthreaded the connection to the bottle. Hey no problem we sorted that but then I thought the water heating etc that was set to use both never let us know . if it's not switched on it lets us know, so why doesn't it do it when you run out???? ( or in this instance not connected by the idiots in the van!!!!!)

We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

― Oscar Wilde, Lady Windermere's Fan

tags: inspirational, optimism, perception, pessimism

I would have thought if you had cross threaded you would have had leakage and no way would Mike have managed to tighten it.

Are you sure and is there any damage to the safefill female connector. Both are brass and fairly soft.

My fridge will run for about 20 mins with the gas off as it uses the residuals in the pipework and uses very little.

Might have been a contaminant blocking the gas outlet.

The other issue springs to mind is bulkhead regulator. Are you still using the truma Gok one. They fail and either stop or allow gas escape.

A quick check is to light the oven, then each hob burner in turn. If the flames get smaller with each ignition it could be the regulator on way.

Or it could be just one of those things and now a connect / reconnect has sorted it.

I would have thought if you had cross threaded you would have had leakage and no way would Mike have managed to tighten it.

Are you sure and is there any damage to the safefill female connector. Both are brass and fairly soft.

My fridge will run for about 20 mins with the gas off as it uses the residuals in the pipework and uses very little.

Might have been a contaminant blocking the gas outlet.

The other issue springs to mind is bulkhead regulator. Are you still using the truma Gok one. They fail and either stop or allow gas escape.

A quick check is to light the oven, then each hob burner in turn. If the flames get smaller with each ignition it could be the regulator on way.

Or it could be just one of those things and now a connect / reconnect has sorted it.

It could have been a contaminant blocking it. I put my finger into the gas bottle to see if the connector thing( don't know what it's called ) could be pushed in to release the gas then we reconnected it. My real question was, why after a whole day didn't any of my high tech screens tell me the gas wasn't coming through ? There wouldn't have been any in the pipeline as when we travel we turn the gas off and put the hob on till it stops. And also when we took the bottle off. I knew straight away when I reconnected and turned the gas on that it WAS on as I heard the pressure release on the bottle . the male thread didn't look damaged or the gas bottle one . as I said before just a couple of idiots rushing on a Friday afternoon to get away!!!

Have a GREAT weekend! ;)

Santa Fe 7 Seater Premium Manual towing Swift Eccles 480 plated to 1500 kg. 

It could have been a contaminant blocking it. I put my finger into the gas bottle to see if the connector thing( don't know what it's called ) could be pushed in to release the gas then we reconnected it. My real question was, why after a whole day didn't any of my high tech screens tell me the gas wasn't coming through ? There wouldn't have been any in the pipeline as when we travel we turn the gas off and put the hob on till it stops. And also when we took the bottle off. I knew straight away when I reconnected and turned the gas on that it WAS on as I heard the pressure release on the bottle . the male thread didn't look damaged or the gas bottle one . as I said before just a couple of idiots rushing on a Friday afternoon to get away!!!

We only have an old skool gas and electric heater and the deciding factor is the idiot operating it so I don't know but aren't those that are automated programmed to use electric first if connected and only gas when it needs to heat quickly?

Could it be as it is warm ish the need wasn't there for the gas side to kick in.

Pure guess on my part.

Either way kick back and enjoy.

Pushing a finger or anything else into the connection of a Safefill is very dangerous The gas is very cold and under quite high pressure. Any of the other makes of cylinder will allow gas to escape just by turning the valve on.

Pushing a finger or anything else into the connection of a Safefill is very dangerous The gas is very cold and under quite high pressure. Any of the other makes of cylinder will allow gas to escape just by turning the valve on.

Trust me eh!!!

The panel will tell you that you're out of gas, there will be a warning tri-angle flashing on the bottom line.

Volvo XC60 D5 AWD AUTO. Lunar Lexon 570

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

2 x darling grandaughters and her

The panel will tell you that you're out of gas, there will be a warning tri-angle flashing on the bottom line.

Yes but it didn't and there wasn't any gas to anything as the cooker proved ? I've seen the triangle when we haven't turned the gas on

Edited by Lozzyf

If you were connected the EHU the heating and fridge probably automatically selected that power source. Is there a reason why you switch off the gas and then burn off the residual in the pipe work using the hob as that seems a waste?

If you were connected the EHU the heating and fridge probably automatically selected that power source. Is there a reason why you switch off the gas and then burn off the residual in the pipe work using the hob as that seems a waste?

We were told to do that as a safety thing?? No gas in the pipes, no chance of it igniting. . Hey we just had a list of "stuff" to do when we pack up/set up that we just do it now . . ( sometimes forgetting one thing or other we're definitely not perfect!!) . .

We were told to do that as a safety thing?? No gas in the pipes, no chance of it igniting. . Hey we just had a list of "stuff" to do when we pack up/set up that we just do it now . . ( sometimes forgetting one thing or other we're definitely not perfect!!) . .

When you burn off the residual gas it is serving no purpose. When you come to use the caravan again, the air has to be replaced by the gas so perhaps a little more waste. We have never bothered with this as the amount of gas in the pipe work would be minimal and highly unlikely to ignite and cause a fire, but if it did, it would burn out within seconds. However if it makes you happy, carry on camping. LOL! :D

When you burn off the residual gas it is serving no purpose. When you come to use the caravan again, the air has to be replaced by the gas so perhaps a little more waste. We have never bothered with this as the amount of gas in the pipe work would be minimal and highly unlikely to ignite and cause a fire, but if it did, it would burn out within seconds. However if it makes you happy, carry on camping. LOL! :D

Maybe it'll be one of those things we'll forget a few times . . Heheheh. .

Maybe it'll be one of those things we'll forget a few times . . Heheheh. .

lozzyf

I seem to remember that the procedure you follow was suggested many years ago to ensure there were no air locks in the gas supply when on site. It is not a procedure which I follow though I turn off all gas isolators in the caravan and also the gas bottle

DeeTee :rolleyes:;)

Burning off the gas will still leave the pipes filled with gas but at atmospheric pressure. Since the gas pressure is already very low the difference will be about 3%. If you think that this is worthwhile then you should also remove all your lightbulbs and fit the bulbholders with corks to stop the electricity from leaking out.

Edited by DACS

Corks are a bit porous so I use my fingers :lol:

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

Corks are a bit porous so I use my fingers :lol:

Saves bringing the curlers!

Santa Fe 7 Seater Premium Manual towing Swift Eccles 480 plated to 1500 kg. 

Saves bringing the curlers!

I couldn't "DO WITHOUT" my curlers you rip taking lot !!!!' . . . Heheheheheh, ok guys I got the message,it does say on my profile, complete idiot lol

Sometimes after filling the Safefill it does take a bit of pressure on the spanner to push the safety valve in before it seats.

I thought it was cross threaded but just needed to be tightened more.