Grey Roof Rail

nsp24

Just been washing my 460/2 2014 and the offside grey roof rail (not sure what its called or what they are for) has detached from the roof at the centre leg. is this something to worry about? Should I stick it back down myself and if the answer is yes what with? or would this be covered under warranty? Also has anybody else had this happen?

Nick

I think that will still be covered under warranty as it's part of the van's structure. I'd be taking a pic and contacting my dealer.

Edited by Glen and Les

2019 Ford Kuga 2. 0 (150 bhp) AWD Manual and 2022 Coachman Acadia GTS 565.

I agree with Glen get photos and send them to dealer, they will need full service history as well if the dealer has not carried it out.
The bonding used by Coachman is Simson ISR-70-03 the area is cleaned with Simson Prep M prior to fixing. I have not experienced it but some of the bonding around my front and rear ends is slightly lifting from the roof but very sound.

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)

1288275170_2019VIP.jpg.775f2d8ce7b26db242e04a2e77903cd0.jpg

Ok thanks I will do that cheers

Nick

• 2 months later...

I have the same issue on our 2016 460/2. What was the outcome nsp24?

Has anyone attempted this repair themselves? I have the correct glue and Primer/cleaner but it looks like it will be difficult to apply. There's not much of a gap under the centre rail bracket, although I've a couple of ideas.

Coachman 460/2 2016 towed by Land Rover Discovery Sport. Proved to be an excellent outfit.

they will need full service history as well if the dealer has not carried it out.

Is this old nugget still common practice in the caravan world to avoid paying out under warranty?

For a roof rail?.....don't think anyone ever services them anyway. .....

As said before a photo,or two, to your dealer.

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

A photograph doesn't really show much and the dealers have mixed views on whether or not the roof rails actually do anything. I may have to approach Coachman but would like to know the outcome of nsp24's efforts.

Coachman 460/2 2016 towed by Land Rover Discovery Sport. Proved to be an excellent outfit.

Is this old nugget still common practice in the caravan world to avoid paying out under warranty?

I never had my van serviced by the supplying dealer (too far and were not impressed with the way the staff in the aftersales department treated me on my first contact with them, so only use them for warranty work) so when I requested a replacement door they asked for full service history, :o not sure why as this is not serviced during routine work.

2013(13) Sorento KX2 2. 2 Diesel Manual, (With smelling clutch) Glittering Metal (Metallic Grey) dragging a 2020 Coachman VIP 520 with a Powrtouch Evolution Motor Mover (Towing @ 80. 0%) :)

1288275170_2019VIP.jpg.775f2d8ce7b26db242e04a2e77903cd0.jpg

I'd love to see the service sheet where either a door or a roof rail is a service item, and what exactly the technician does to service it. Its all designed to block fair warranty repairs.

• 2 weeks later...

l thought the grey rails were for her that has to be obeyed when driving the car from the passenger seat for her to hang onto when expelled to the roof, hope she doesn't see this post eh! eh!

Heethers
Lunar Clubman SB
07 ShogunSWB

• 1 month later...

I asked what purpose they served on the factory tour because I had made a plank to go across and so I could clean the roof without going on the actual roof.

i was told it was not weight bearing and was merely for decoration, that's why it's not on the 2018 models. .....Peter

Peter and Sandy pulling a 2016 Coachman VIP 565 with

2016 Ford Kuga 2. 0. 180 ps. Titanium Nav.

Retired and loving it.

l was told the same just design feature for looks think they pinched off Motor homes, think l have seen the same on them in white

Edited by Nidge4

Heethers
Lunar Clubman SB
07 ShogunSWB

i only use it to hang onto when I'm up a ladder cleaning the roof, disappointed that they have done away with them for 2018, as a health and safety issue, they should have kept them  :D

Les

as a health and safety issue, they should have kept them  

Is that why none of the other manufacturers fit them then??

geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530