Dash Cam

frazerg

Hi,

I bought a dash cam from Aldi today for £40, looks OK. Does anybody know the best place to put them on the windscreen . Not only for convenience but to stay legal as well.

Frazer

Kia Sportage towing Lunar Ultima SE

I have two - one each on both cars. I put them behind the front mirror so I can't see them. Then you have fun routing the cable.

They generally stay on for a couple of minutes to give you time to set them.

I have set ours to give the max time after the engine is switched off because I could be involved in a shunt, switch off engine, get out and remonstrate and get in a fight. This way, the camera records all the action :lol::lol:

Graham

Unless otherwise stated all posts are my personal opinion 

We have ours just to the left of the mirror.

Wouldn't be without it after being accused of causing accident I wasn't even present at.

Perfect recording of us nearly being run off the road last week by an oncoming vehicle in the middle of the road.

It was an NHS ambulance. (Perhaps trying to drum up custom).

. .....still feel like that some days. :) But not when D4 is hooked up to Commodore.

Same lhs of the mirror.

There it cannot be seen by me so not causing any blind spot, if you download the pdf manual it shows you the area you must not place the camera.

I thought about buying one as its the same as i have already but with a different name, problem with mine is the date has defaulted to 2013 which is odd as i bought it in 2015.

Friend of mine had an accident which he says is not his fault, but no dash cam to fight his case.

I did buy the last alde dash cam for the rear but don't like its shape, its square, sounds daft but it takes up more space, the latest one i can recommend.

And its go a 3 year warranty, reason i bought the last one.

Had mine for a couple of years. One in each car but beware the internal alarm sensor when it unsticks itself from the screen and set off the alarm!

Both on left of mirror, wiring hidden in head lining. Ignition activated.

Edited by exbonneville

BMW X5 3. 0d Sport + Coachman Wanderer 19/4

As You Were!

Of course, the evidence from a dashcam could be a two-edged sword.

Do they sell them with an intelligent "auto erase" function. ..

:excl::excl::excl:    Spanish Trip 2020 - :excl::excl::excl: - Time to bailout...

Subscribe to our Blog at the website below and read the diaries of many of our expeditions.

Caravan Ramblings blog

Mine cannot be seen from the drivers position as it is in line with the mirror to its left.

Think some of the larger models can be more of a problem to completely hide due to the size of their brackets.

Edit. Mine looks like this.

post-1814-0-09919100-1494623100_thumb.jpg

post-1814-0-65991000-1494623121_thumb.jpg

Edited by Griff

Living the dream, well more of a nightmare ~ Griff    :ph34r:

Wheels at the front ~ Discovery 4 Towing Machine

Wheels at the back ~ 4 of ‘em

Close up you can see them, but buy a small one than can be hidden as far as possible behind the mirror, and also is matt black without silver trim, to avoid attention.

Some have an antenna to record location by GPS - this can be hidden in the roof lining. Run the power cable behind the roof lining then down the A pillar to your power source. You can add a very small box that allows the camera to remain on when parked, but switch itself off when a pre selected voltage is reached, to save the car battery.

Most have acceleration sensors that will even detect hitting potholes, as well accidents. This causes a section of the recording to be stored automatically as a protected file, with say 30 seconds before and after the impact. There may be a manual button that does the same thing to record incidents other than impacts.

Trouble is that on some new vehicles there isn't the room behind the mirror for a clear on road view. due to the intelligent read safety sensors and the only windscreen camera mounting place would be in the top right and left corner of thewindscreen.

Edited by Silverback

Hi Frazer

If you click on the link it will take you to my website http://caravanlife. org. uk/gadgets-and-gizmos-719070. html

and it will show you a couple of photos where mine are placed!

Andrew

Ford Mondeo Estate Titaniuim TDCi mk4 (16v 140 BHP) (2008)

Towing Elddis Odyssey 544 (2008) Truma mover S towing at 98%

My web site caravanlife. updated 28/5/2017

Seriously need to consider getting one of these Dash cam Gizmos. . . Can you buy rechargeable ones that don't require a cable for power ? I would use it between our cars and for me part time lorry driving . .. . It's the cable issue that is putting me off . ..

Slightly off Topic . ... My local retained fire pump attended a RTC involving two vehicles the other day. On arrival there were two vehicles at the scene as reported, no damage to either vehicle but the two occupants in one vehicle and two occupants in the other vehicle were all complaining of whiplash injuries. Without any mechanism of injury due to no contact with either vehicles the lads were slightly confused as to what happened then the Police turned up. . . . Turns out this was a family scam to defraud the insurance companies and this was their 29th attempt !!!!

If I had been the Oi/c I would have followed RTC protocol and removed all occupants via a spine board after the removal of both roofs righting off both vehicles then the Police would have dealt with them. These fraudsters are now that cheeky they are even trying for a Claim without even making contact in their vehicles. . . Last we heard the whole lot have been charged . One ambulance, one fire appliance and two police vehicles all tied up due to these Clowns. . . Really must get a Dash Cam . .. .

"to be auld and wise you must first be young and daft "

Seriously need to consider getting one of these Dash cam Gizmos. . . Can you buy rechargeable ones that don't require a cable for power ? I would use it between our cars and for me part time lorry driving . .. . It's the cable issue that is putting me off . ..

Slightly off Topic . ... My local retained fire pump attended a RTC involving two vehicles the other day. On arrival there were two vehicles at the scene as reported, no damage to either vehicle but the two occupants in one vehicle and two occupants in the other vehicle were all complaining of whiplash injuries. Without any mechanism of injury due to no contact with either vehicles the lads were slightly confused as to what happened then the Police turned up. . . . Turns out this was a family scam to defraud the insurance companies and this was their 29th attempt !!!!

If I had been the Oi/c I would have followed RTC protocol and removed all occupants via a spine board after the removal of both roofs righting off both vehicles then the Police would have dealt with them. These fraudsters are now that cheeky they are even trying for a Claim without even making contact in their vehicles. . . Last we heard the whole lot have been charged . One ambulance, one fire appliance and two police vehicles all tied up due to these Clowns. . . Really must get a Dash Cam . .. .

And it's our insurance premiums that suffer as a result! Another case for reintroduction of capital punishment in my view!

In the case I referred to above "two girls from Redditch" thought we were responsible, followed us and took our reg number back to the scene where the two owners blindly accepted it.

Took us from April till Sept to get a grudging acknowledgment from the CPS that we were not involved. All this for 2 wing mirrors!

Dash cam fitted thereafter. 70 notes well spent. Even a forward looking one serves for rearward as you can prove your road position and movement etc. Hit on the towbar whilst stationary behind a bus in Truro. Slight motion visible on impact paled alongside the audio soundtrack of my reaction which still makes me laugh.

. .....still feel like that some days. :) But not when D4 is hooked up to Commodore.

It was a lovely clear Saturday afternoon. I was driving a truck from Northampton to the Birmingham area, loaded full of full beer (supposedly probably the best in the world) kegs. All safety nappies, netting and curtains had been checked. I set the cruise control to 52mph, having recently joined the M6 from the M1. There were a few cars on the horizon ahead of me, a car about 3 - 4 miles away on the hard shoulder and a gaggle of vehicles coming up behind me. What possibly could go wrong?

A breakdown (car recovery) truck sidled passed and pulled quite close in front of me, I decided to take no action as he was slowly pulling away from me and the road ahead was still clear. But then a white Fiat 500 (new style) squeezed in between us; I immediately activated the exhaust brakes and gently pressed the brake pedal to increase the gap. The breakdown truck then put on his orange warning lights and started braking. I indicated right, but couldn't pull over because there was now a steady stream of traffic. So now all I could do was to concentrate on slowing 40-odd tons of truck and beer without upsetting the load or jack-knifing. The back of the little Fiat was getting closer and closer, I put my headlights on and pressed the horn. I couldn't go right because of the traffic nor could I go left onto the hard-shoulder because of the stationary car.

With the Fiat's rear end slowly disappearing from my view he was so close, the breakdown truck pulled onto the hard-shoulder just behind the stationary car. But the Fiat kept on the motorway and slowing. I was braking so hard now that any manoeuvre would have resulted in a jack-knife, so I shrugged my shoulders and resolved that it would be better to ram the Fiat than cause a major incident by taking out a whole gaggle of cars. The Fiat pulled onto the hard-shoulder, how the front of my truck missed him I do not know. If I had hit the Fiat it would have deemed to been my fault for driving without due care and attention.

That evening, after changing my shreddies, I ordered a dash cam. It now sits behind and slightly to the left of the my car's rear-view mirror; and the car has passed the MoT test twice at different testing stations with the camera in place.

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies. Seems they are worth fitting! I've fitted to the left of the rear view mirror out of the drivers sight line. I've managed to run the cable under the of the roof lining, under the A pillar cover then behind the glove box to come out by the cigarette lighter that comes on with the ignition. Does the dash cam record all the journey on a loop and then retains any incidents?If so is the journey then discarded with just the incidents recorded kept when the ignition is turned off

Frazer

Kia Sportage towing Lunar Ultima SE

My recent purchase vehicle has two,one well hidden behind mirror the other inset into radiator cover. ..not managed to programme either yet. .

Geoff

Kia Sorento KX-1 CRDI 4WD towing an Elddis Affinity 530

Hi,

Thanks for all the replies. Seems they are worth fitting! I've fitted to the left of the rear view mirror out of the drivers sight line. I've managed to run the cable under the of the roof lining, under the A pillar cover then behind the glove box to come out by the cigarette lighter that comes on with the ignition. Does the dash cam record all the journey on a loop and then retains any incidents?If so is the journey then discarded with just the incidents recorded kept when the ignition is turned off

If you set loop up yes, I've found recording blocks of 10 mins the best option.

Does the dash cam record all the journey on a loop and then retains any incidents?If so is the journey then discarded with just the incidents recorded kept when the ignition is turned off

I use 32Gb micro SD cards. I occassionally take them out and copy them to my desktop hard disk. They are files within folders. The files seem to be 5 or 10 min bits of video. Maybe a folder is a journey. The card (with my driving) covers a few weeks driving. It is all there with an overlap between each file and all files are date stamped.

My wife's has GPS which gives your speed next to the time.

I will try to see if I can put a file up onto CT.

No luck - Max file size is 2mB and a 3 min clip file is 256mB.

Graham

I hav a Garmin one which i have put behind the mirror in my Saab, its hardwired to an ignition source. Wiring under windscreen trim panel.

It also gives speed camera warnings, by beeping limit shown on screen and beeps if you are close to another vehicle.

I can't see the screen but the beeps are sufficient warning!

I bught a second holder which we can swap it to the towcar using supplied 12v socket lead.

It was an Christmas present, as SWMBO thought it was a good idea.

Hyundai Santa Fe+Bailey Unicorn Cadiz

Mini Cooper convertible -fun Car!:)

It seems most folk buy one after an incident, thereafter the "law of sod" means you'll never need it. If so, they're cheap for a lifetime insurance policy.

There have been reports that within 10 years Insurance companies will insist they are fitted.

Graham