Where To Pull In For A Couple Of Hours On Route To Pentewan

Hi, we are heading to Pentewan at whit week, from the Midlands. We have been a few times before but always camped, but this year we are taking our new caravan so leaving earlier. We are planning on leaving around 4. 30-5am ish as our eldest daughter suffers from travel sickness and will hopefully sleep through most of the journey. We always stop at Taunton Deane services but wondering where to stop before we can check in. Ive heard about lay by's on the a30 being horrendous with all the traffic speeding past and also heard some people pull into Asda car park in st Austell as its 24hour but we were worried in case we can't get in there for any reason.

Does anyone know, who's been recently, if Pentewan still use a holding field opposite their entrance?

Any suggestions would be great

I can't make any suggestions to help where to stop, but with regard to the layby's on the A30, we did it, never again.

Would have thought you would be there by 2pm even taking things very easy. As I remember there are frequent lay-bys on the A30 which are set back, try Google Street view to check.

John

Volvo V70 D3 SE (was Peugeot 4007, SsangYong Korando), Pulling a Lunar Clubman SI 2015. If you are depressed, you are living in the past. If you are anxious, you are living in the future. If you are at peace, you are living in the present.

I don't know about Pentewan using it as a holding field but it is definitely a car park and I can't see any reason why you could not pull in there if you arrive too early.

The other thing is that rather than take the A30, you could take the A38 from Exeter via Plymouth and then A390 down to St Austell. There are a few parking areas on the A38 which are set back off the road. One has some toilets and a takeaway selling bacon sandwiches, coffee etc. It is just after the signs for Kartworld/Adrenalin Quarry (see sat photo below) before you get to Liskeard.

Hope that helps.

Mark.

post-58970-0-61667000-1494574159_thumb.png

Bailey Unicorn 3 Barcelona

Hyundai Santa Fe Premium 7 seater

Exeter services?

Nissan X-Trail Tekna + Coachman Festival 450

Cribbs Causeway mall at Bristol -follow signs for coaches and tow right to the very furthest of all the parking areas. You will find plenty of space.

We always booked an overnight stop on cl somewhere around burnham on sea, top the car up have a walk around and set of again early the following morning.

Oh and fill some gallon bottles with cider ;)

Paul B

. .......Mondeo Estate & Elddis Avanté 505 (Tobago)

Would have thought you would be there by 2pm even taking things very easy. As I remember there are frequent lay-bys on the A30 which are set back, try Google Street view to check.

John

I use the A30 lay-bys​ as they are set back to catch a few hours kip as I travel at night .

As said check on Google earth .

Dave

Jeep Commander 3. 0 V6 CRD

Isuzu D- Max Utah Auto

Elddis Crusader Storm 2000 Kgs, Unipart Royal Atlas Mover .

I suggest that if you looking to kill time you leave the modern A30 dual carriageway at Sourton Cross (top of the hill on the west side of Okehampton) and take what was the original older stretch of A30 through Lewdown and Lifton. There are pausing places along that stretch of what is now a very quiet road. You can even pull on to the big car park at Lifton Farm shop on your right just before rejoin the dual carriageway before Launceston - the cafe there will be open.

the car park opposite was a holding feild last year and has been each year we have gone to Pentewan . but we have always managed got on at 9-10am

John

why 2pm ?

www. justgiving. com/fundraising/TamiTurner

Hi, we are heading to Pentewan at whit week, from the Midlands. We have been a few times before but always camped, but this year we are taking our new caravan so leaving earlier. We are planning on leaving around 4. 30-5am ish as our eldest daughter suffers from travel sickness and will hopefully sleep through most of the journey. We always stop at Taunton Deane services but wondering where to stop before we can check in. Ive heard about lay by's on the a30 being horrendous with all the traffic speeding past and also heard some people pull into Asda car park in st Austell as its 24hour but we were worried in case we can't get in there for any reason.

Does anyone know, who's been recently, if Pentewan still use a holding field opposite their entrance?

Any suggestions would be great

We go Cornwall every year.

First off, we call into Asda Patchway Bristol, top up with derv and nip over to the 24 hour Mcdonald s as it's next to the huge forecourt.

Last time I went past Pentewan there was a que onto road and every layby back was full so I would suggest stopping either in the new services on the A30 new bit within Cornwall or the large layby.

Do not be early to the site, it's hugely popular in school holidays as it's practically on the beach, a rare thing in Cornwall

Edited by Guest