Tyre Pressure

My tyres and placard with caravan weight/VIN etc say the tyres should be at a max 75psi when cold. Wondering if that's a standard across Baileys.

Does anyone have some advice/recommendations on tyre pressure. I am Australia based so I am assuming it may alter a bit due to my warmer weather :)

Edited by aussiebaileyowner

60 psi on My Pegasus. 75 sounds very high to me.

Are your tyres same as the UK, or are they upgraded for the Australian market?

Psi in Australia is less because they're below the equator.

Ern

Psi in Australia is less because they're below the equator.

-and the valves are fitted upside down too

-and the valves are fitted upside down too

Depends on where they park. If they're pointing north it's ok.

Ern

Check your tyres and look for "Max Psi" and "Load Index" number, you also need the caravan MTPLM then use this formula.

Max Psi devide by Load rating x MTPLM devide by Number of wheels.

In my case my tyres are Max Psi = 65psi, the load rating code is 106 which = 950kg, MTPLM = 1750kg, number of wheels = 2

so my tyre pressure comes to 60 psi,

Hope this helps.

What solarpower gives is a save calculation, called linear calculation, wich is half of pressure gives half of maximum load.

The official calculation of tiremakers gives even a bit lower pressure .

I made a pressure calculator, an exel spreadsheet, and add even 11 % to the MPVW, for reserve.

Most caravan tyres are D-load /8PR with AT-pressure of 65 psi or sometimes 69/70 psi.

In earlyer days LT/C- tyres where allowed higher then At-pressure up to 10 psi, wich would give that 75 psi.

Nowadays most tyremakers dont allow that anymore, and that is strange, because normal car tyres only maximum cold pressure is given on sidewall while At-pressure is lower. Also trucktyres still are allowed higher then At-pressure.

On LT/C-tyres and Trucktyres on sidewall is given something like this " maximum load xxxx lbs/kg AT yyy psi/kPa ( cold), thats where I get the AT-pressure from.

so give the information Solarpower askes, but also try to find the speedcode of tyre, and give the maximum speed you use when towing, and wont go over for even a minute.

The maximum load is sometimes given N for max speed of tyre of 140km/86m/h and then maximum load is 2 Loadindex steps higher then if same sises and AT-pressure Q speedrated tyres ( max 160km/99m/h).

Thats the importance of giving the speedrating and max speed, pressure advice is also speedrelated.

Oh. .. and I also have to know if in Australia traveltrailers are the same as in America, with about 10 to 15% of the total weight on the towbarr also to law. In Europe minimum towbarload is only 1% and maximum to law is 10%.

this to determine the right weight that is left on the axle('s).

And howmany axles and total of tyres on the ground when driving ( so not spare and nosewheel)

Edited by jadatis

Are your tyres same as the UK, or are they upgraded for the Australian market?

Believe the same. Brand is General Tire(Tyre) - Eurovan 2. I'm guessing they are possibly the original ones. No idea when it was imported.

My MTPLM has worn off the sticker on the side of the van. So might need to check my manual to see if its included in that. Or online.

Just checking the Tyre again and it says Max Load 850kgs single axle, and MAX psi 75. However elsewhere on the tyre it says 65PSI. I never assumed I would have to inflate to 75PSI, just thought it was a mammoth pressure to even consider.

Anyway thanks all for the replies. Even the funny ones I havent acknowledged. ;-)

I thought the pressure limit on the tyre could be ignored for the UK, that being a limit applicable to the US only?

http://www. tyresafe. org/wp-content/uploads/2015/12/caravan-leaflet. pdf

upto 69 psi on this link.

Look at inside greyed out print, says USA only.

Page 4

Edited by xtrailman

Believe the same. Brand is General Tire(Tyre) - Eurovan 2. I'm guessing they are possibly the original ones. No idea when it was imported.

My MTPLM has worn off the sticker on the side of the van. So might need to check my manual to see if its included in that. Or online.

Just checking the Tyre again and it says Max Load 850kgs single axle, and MAX psi 75. However elsewhere on the tyre it says 65PSI. I never assumed I would have to inflate to 75PSI, just thought it was a mammoth pressure to even consider.

Anyway thanks all for the replies. Even the funny ones I havent acknowledged. ;-)

If you read something like this on sidewall "maximum load 850 kg AT 65 psi ( cold)" then its yust what it is, the tire is allowed to carry 850 kg AT 65 psi, and then you can ride the reference-speed of mostly 160km/99m/h ( Q-speedrated and up), without overheating any part of the rubber of tyre . The maximum cold pressure is yust the maximum the tyremaker alows, and is probably for you that 75 psi.

In Europe a special camper tyre is on the market for motorhomes ( we call that camper in Europe), and Continental is giving for that tyre and the AT-pressure of 69 psi, and the maximum cold pressure of 80 psi. Michelin gives that 80 psi often as apart from maximum load on a new line as AT80 psi.

This AT and maxcold pressure is not that consequently used by the tyremakers .

In America general use was that LT tires where alowed 10 psi above At pressure , not anymore now.

But your 75 psi is probably not by coincidence 10 psi above the AT-pressure of 65 psi.

EDIT : tried to repair my writing in your quote so my reply is a bit messy, sorry

Edited by jadatis