Advice Please On Lunar Clubman

Woodentop

We are thinking of changing our van next year and have been looking around. We want a 2-berth and as we prefer to sleep as two singles and I'm 6ft 1in we need a van with good long seats.

SWMBO has taken a liking to the Clubman which has seats that fit the bill but I'm not so sure. In the past they were often called Leaky Lunars so Q1 - has this been cured?

So can anyone give unbiased advice please? Are they well made, reliable, comfortable for 5-6 weeks away and above all are they well insulated to keep warm in the early/late months?

TIA

2018 Passat B8 Estate 150GT TDi150 towing a 2018 Bailey Unicorn S4 Seville

We will be setting off for a 45 day European trip very soon. Our Saros Clubman is the SB version and we both think the beds are as comfortable as those at home.

Our van does not leak. Other vans do I hear - every make by the way!

Insulation is the standard for all modern caravans and can be kept warm with no problems (as can all vans)

Nothing is likely to be perfect in the caravan world. The simple advice is spend as long as it takes prior to taking delivery/handover and check everything is as it should be.

Santa Fe 7 Seater Premium Manual towing Swift Eccles 480 plated to 1500 kg. 

Just had our first service - no damp. You asked for an unbiased view. We have had maybe 9 lunar caravans overs the years, last 'leaky lunar' was back in the late 80's with a leaking shower & damp under the side window. The worst damp ever was in a 'solid' built Compass 2014 caravan. Back to the question the CK is an excellent caravan for two, his & hers wardrobes and a good size shower if like us we use the caravan not toilet blocks. We tend to leave the sliding door open to the washroom which makes the caravan appear larger than other 2 berths. Trying to think of negatives, my wife does not like the oven door which opens from the side not top to bottom, but this maybe sorted on the 2017 on caravans. If you are not looking at a new caravan best avoid if possible the 2014/2015 models with the Dometic toilet its not a good as the Thetford in my opinion. Overall the spec is as good as you need for long holidays.

ps we were on site when a warden came over and side 'excellent caravan' he had one for 5 years when doing a lot of moving around before doing a warden job.

Edited by PaulR

We have a Lexon 570 which has twin single beds, I am 6'3"" and have no problems at all, as for "Leaky Lunars" all makes will have some rogues, this is our 7 th Lunar in 36 years, previous 6 were Clubmans, this is our first Lexon, never had a water/damp ingress problem.

Volvo XC60 D5 AWD AUTO. Lunar Lexon 570

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing

2 x darling grandaughters and her

We were so impressed with our 2015 Clubman that after a year we changed it for a 2016 Delta.

No problems with either van and no damp at first service.

We leave home at the end of the month for a 4 - 5 month tour.

Lovely to see some positive posts!

I have had three Lunars in recent years, a Quasar, Clubman SB and now a Delta TS. All had minor issues but none leaked.

The SB was a great caravan. Very comfortable, well equipped and certainly warm enough with Alde heating.

The Delta is very similar in layout but with a bit more room in the lounge and washroom. I have not regretted buying either of them.

Lunar Clubman SB

Mazda CX5 Sport AWD 175 bhp

We have a 2011 Lunar Clubman SB which we bought secondhand in 2015. So far no problems, no damp no rattles etc. Sometimes think the front seating could be firmer. Next Tuesday we will be on the Harwich-Hook of Holland ferry for five weeks in Europe.

Approx. 250 nights in our 2016 Delta Ti since August 2016 and only real inconvenience has been the Alde pump giving up prematurely. So not a Lunar problem and easily sorted by dealer.

Suspect we might have a sagging/creaking floor in the kitchen/entrance area. Don't think it's delamination but more a question of the floor not being braced sufficiently. Water seems to pool around the big skylight so maybe just a matter of time before it needs resealing. Roof seems to sag in the middle due to lack of roof bracing as the lounge skylight seems to have taken away the structural rigidity.

Too early to tell re. longevity and damp as first service isn't due until mid June.

Other than that, would 100% buy another Lunar - this is our second Ti in four years ;) .

Edited by Pebble

2019 Adria Adora Thames

We PX'd a 2012MY Quasar 464 in 2015 and I saw the dealer about 3 months later and he said they had to put it in the workshop for remedial damp work above the door. It had been serviced a few months before and showed no sign of damp.

If I was after a two berth I'd always go for the Stellar. Beautiful van with 6ft 5ins front benches/single beds.

I've got nothing to do on this hot afternoon

but to settle down and write you a line.

All our caravans have been new caravans. 6 in total and are listed:- Bailey (never again), Sprite Alpine 4 (not for us, could not stop damp)! Lunar Stellar (why did we change? Dry). Lunar Lexon 420 (L shaped lounge. Dry). Stirling Eccles (very wet). Current caravan Elddis Affinity 530, 1st service 40% damp, up front. So in our experience, no Leaky Lunars!

Swift Elegance 480, towed by a Mitsubishi L200 Barbarian X series 6.

Lunar clubman,purchased Nov. 15 first of 16 model, two ten week spells in Spain, approx another 100 days in U. K. To date.

Only real problem has been kitchen floor delamination, now fixed,bathroom floor now starting, a few minor faults but not Lunar ones.

Comfy for long periods,lounge and bedroom, a dream to tow,and I've towed many makes and sizes.