Route To Sandringham.

Hey folks

Off to Sandringham later in the month on a Saturday morning.

The most direct route from Hampshire is M25 A11 and then A10 I think from memory.

I did wonder if getting on the A10 any earlier is better, any recommendations please.

Thanks.

Hey folks

Off to Sandringham later in the month on a Saturday morning.

The most direct route from Hampshire is M25 A11 and then A10 I think from memory.

I did wonder if getting on the A10 any earlier is better, any recommendations please.

Thanks.

We live in Kings Lynn and when towing home from the south we take M25, M11 to junct 14 ( signpost Newmarket A14/Ely A10) then follow a couple of miles looking for exit for A10 Ely. The A10 surface from Cambridge to Kings Lynn (especially as it follows along side the River Ouse across the fens) can be a bit rural in places, so take your time.

When you arrive at Kings Lynn at the Hardwick roundabout you want the A149 to Hunstanton. The approach to this roundabout can be very busy with long tail back . ..especially on a Saturday in holiday season! Sandringham campsite is signposted off to right in about 4-5miles.

Edited by ericfield

Sorry can't help with this, but hey, we too are off to Sandringham Caravan & Motorhome site next week, although we're from Manchester. We'll take the M62 across the Pennines and drop straight onto the A1 and drive to Newark then onto the A14, then the A149. Although its 40 miles out of our way, the shorter route, which takes you over Woodhead Pass, is prettier, but would rather do motorway driving when pulling the caravan. Enjoy yourselves Jiffy, and hope the weather stays nice. I'm in the back garden at present, enjoying the rays :D

Ericfield is right, Norfolk roads can be a bit rural. Haha. Also agree with him that the hardwick roundabout at kings lynn gets busy as does the traffic up the 149. Enjoy your time up at sandringham.

Not sure where the Norfolk border is on A10. ... but the worst part is the stretch from Littleport roundabout alongside the Ouse. ..it's all over the place. ...but I bet that's still Cambridgshire. :-)

Edited by ericfield

Sorry can't help with this, but hey, we too are off to Sandringham Caravan & Motorhome site next week, although we're from Manchester. We'll take the M62 across the Pennines and drop straight onto the A1 and drive to Newark then onto the A14, then the A149. Although its 40 miles out of our way, the shorter route, which takes you over Woodhead Pass, is prettier, but would rather do motorway driving when pulling the caravan. Enjoy yourselves Jiffy, and hope the weather stays nice. I'm in the back garden at present, enjoying the rays :D

Do you mean the A17 from Newark.

John.

Can understand the motorway reference but there are enough lorries using Woodhead to reassure any caravan outfit. I use snake with no problems at all. Go for the scenery lol

Enjoy your holiday. We are going that way later in the year after the 45 day exit to Europe.

Santa Fe 7 Seater Premium Manual towing Swift Eccles 480 plated to 1500 kg. 

jwa, on 10 May 2017 - 3:18 PM, said:

Do you mean the A17 from Newark.

John.

Apologies, yet the A17. Nearly there though :D

Can understand the motorway reference but there are enough lorries using Woodhead to reassure any caravan outfit. I use snake with no problems at all. Go for the scenery lol

Enjoy your holiday. We are going that way later in the year after the 45 day exit to Europe.

Wish I was going into Europe. Have done Europe, so we've decided to do UK now. But with regards to Woodhead, you do get a lot of lorries, and you could end up behind them; also queuing when you come off M67 (wish oh wish they would build an outer road). Also, don't like driving through Glossop when heading for the Snake. No, I think I'll stick with the M62

Is the border just before you cross over the bridge and follow the river on your right, where that pub is by the bridge and river?

Think you are right, the Ship Inn is in no mans land as the respective boundary signs are on opposite sides of the bridge. ....genuinely think the roads are better once you leave Cambridgshire. ;)

Edited by ericfield

Apologies, yet the A17. Nearly there though :D

Wish I was going into Europe. Have done Europe, so we've decided to do UK now. But with regards to Woodhead, you do get a lot of lorries, and you could end up behind them; also queuing when you come off M67 (wish oh wish they would build an outer road). Also, don't like driving through Glossop when heading for the Snake. No, I think I'll stick with the M62

My one and only speeding ticket was in Glossop. Mr pickup (I still remember the name) was clerk to the Justices. Driving to Manchester on a Sunday morning at 6. 30am on an errand of mercy ( collecting a sofa for another student - yes, that long ago!)

But would still take same route in spite of Glossop! Hey Ho. Each to his own.

Santa Fe 7 Seater Premium Manual towing Swift Eccles 480 plated to 1500 kg. 

If you're going to the C&MC event at Sandringham on 27th be kind to the caravanner disguised as a bagpiper with City of Norwich Pipe Band. ....it's my first turnout for over 20 years so hope I can remember all the tunes :)

If you're going to the C&MC event at Sandringham on 27th be kind to the caravanner disguised as a bagpiper with City of Norwich Pipe Band. . . ..it's my first turnout for over 20 years so hope I can remember all the tunes :)

Will look out for you.

Ian

2018 Range Rover Sport AB,  2015 Buccaneer Cruiser.

Easy to recognise. ...I'm the one wrestling with the five-armed musical octopus :)

Edited by Coriolis

We live in Kings Lynn and when towing home from the south we take M25, M11 to junct 14 ( signpost Newmarket A14/Ely A10) then follow a couple of miles looking for exit for A10 Ely. The A10 surface from Cambridge to Kings Lynn (especially as it follows along side the River Ouse across the fens) can be a bit rural in places, so take your time.

When you arrive at Kings Lynn at the Hardwick roundabout you want the A149 to Hunstanton. The approach to this roundabout can be very busy with long tail back . ..especially on a Saturday in holiday season! Sandringham campsite is signposted off to right in about 4-5miles.

Brilliant thank you.

Can you recommend any services or places to stop about 45 mins to an hour North from the M25?

Thanks again.

Think you are right, the Ship Inn is in no mans land as the respective boundary signs are on opposite sides of the bridge. . . . . genuinely think the roads are better once you leave Cambridgshire. ;)

I'd agree that the Cambridgeshire roads are worse than the Norfolk ones but it's an easy drive up the A. 10 from the M11.

Be a bit wary when using a SatNav as some of them can take you off the M11 onto the A11 and take you on a scenic route past Newmarket and onto the A142 and then it can get a bit hairy.

Stay on the M11 to jct 14 onto the A14 and pick up the A10 at Milton and follow it all the way to Kings Lynn - watch the roadsigns at Ely and make sure you say on the A10 (first exit on the roundabout sp Downham Market) .

Several people I know, including my Bro have taken wrong turns and been routed through Ely. My Bro wasn't paying attention and took his caravan under Ely Railway Bridge - he got away with it but his wife was a bit alarmed when he did it

We live on the opposite side of the Great Ouse about 10 minutes walk and a short swim from the Ship Inn which is definitely in Cambridgeshire but only just - the border is the centre of the bridge over Brandon Creek and the Ship is on the Cambridge side.

As a stopping point from the M25 the only prcatical one is the Bishops Stortford services on the M11. There's nowhere else.

post-11298-0-92621300-1494695659_thumb.jpg

Edited by matelodave

2018 S-Max Titanium 2. 0 Tdci (177. 54bhp,180ps,132kw) Powershift + 2015 Unicorn III Cadz, Ventura Marlin porch awning

Brilliant thank you.

Can you recommend any services or places to stop about 45 mins to an hour North from the M25?

Thanks again.

As someone already mentioned, there is just one service station on the M11 at Stansted. We always stop there on the way home from the Tunnel. ... it's about halfway for us. There are a plethora of annoying speed bumps and you have to go right round the car park area to get to the caravan bays. ..but as service stations go, it's not bad. It's about 1. 5 hours tow to Kings Lynn if traffic is kind. Say 2hours to Sandringham.

Edit: Stansted is probably about 30-35min from M25.

Edited by ericfield

As someone already mentioned, there is just one service station on the M11 at Stansted. We always stop there on the way home from the Tunnel. . . . it's about halfway for us. There are a plethora of annoying speed bumps and you have to go right round the car park area to get to the caravan bays. . . but as service stations go, it's not bad. It's about 1. 5 hours tow to Kings Lynn if traffic is kind. Say 2hours to Sandringham.

Edit: Stansted is probably about 30-35min from M25.

Thank you I've programmed the route into the nav, it looks like there are a few lay-bys on the way up so I might plump for one of those.

I'd agree that the Cambridgeshire roads are worse than the Norfolk ones but it's an easy drive up the A. 10 from the M11.

Be a bit wary when using a SatNav as some of them can take you off the M11 onto the A11 and take you on a scenic route past Newmarket and onto the A142 and then it can get a bit hairy.

Stay on the M11 to jct 14 onto the A14 and pick up the A10 at Milton and follow it all the way to Kings Lynn - watch the roadsigns at Ely and make sure you say on the A10 (first exit on the roundabout sp Downham Market) .

Several people I know, including my Bro have taken wrong turns and been routed through Ely. My Bro wasn't paying attention and took his caravan under Ely Railway Bridge - he got away with it but his wife was a bit alarmed when he did it

We live on the opposite side of the Great Ouse about 10 minutes walk and a short swim from the Ship Inn which is definitely in Cambridgeshire but only just - the border is the centre of the bridge over Brandon Creek and the Ship is on the Cambridge side.

As a stopping point from the M25 the only prcatical one is the Bishops Stortford services on the M11. There's nowhere else.

That photo gave me a panic flash back. Travelling through town in France came up to a low bridge in a hollow. Panic . ..at the headroom sign. Mind went blank as to height of caravan. In true tradition I veered down a side street. ..hoping to pull over and get the caravan manual out. Don't laugh! Now in the French equivalent of a council housin estate I managed to do a 3point turn and park up. Couldn't find the manual. Back to the road. ..stared at the bridge. "Oh B****, it MUST go under" I exclaimed as the wife shut her eyes and I 'went for it'.

As it happens, I had several inches clearance. ..but I now have the caravan height written on a paper on my sun visor, for those blind panic brain freeze moments.