Sign in to follow this  
rawsondsr

Goodbye Old Van, Hello New Van

Said goodbye to my trusty old van, a Lunar, had it for 5 years, towed it 15,000 miles, used it for 18 months, but it was time for it to go.

In its place is a snazzy Bailey. Owned 1 day, towed 100 miles, and used for 1 night so far

I would add pics but can't do it :unsure:

Edited by rawsondsr
  • Like 1

There we go

post-51339-0-95884200-1493995143_thumb.jpg

post-51339-0-54426000-1493995158_thumb.jpg

Wow that's a serious piece of kit! Enjoy mate

does the twin axle tow better/worse or about the same?

That's a big outfit. .....health to enjoy Sir.

You are gonna luuurrrve the Alde heating. ... :)

does the twin axle tow better/worse or about the same?

Going from a SA 950 kg MRO van to a TA 1500 kg MRO van (1200 & 1800 kg MTPLM respectively) i found it a lot more stable, less being sucked/pushed around by coaches etc, not yet towed the Bailey with anything in it though, oddly enough, even though on the return journey i weighed 550 kg more, i didnt notice the extra weight, im still as slow as ever with probably under 100bhp!

Not reversed yet with it so cannot comment on that, but from what i hear it will be easier due to slower reactions.

You are gonna luuurrrve the Alde heating. . . . :)

Still getting to grips, but so far i am liking it, the old blown air in the lunar was a bit poor on electric, due to thermostat location,above the fire, so was never a constant warmth, and of course it was a dry heat, just got to figure out what my optimum daytime and nighttime temps are.

Unless you are computer savvy the control panel on the Alde at that time is not the friendliest of beasts. Some good video on u tube for its more advanced bits. Enjoy.

I've just changed to a newer Lunar that is fitted with Alde wet heating system and, after two nights in it can confirm that it is much more comfortable than the blown air system - woth changing just for that.

However the control panel does take getting used too and my next job is to set the programme - should be fun. :unsure:

There we go

Love the 'before and after' pics!

Hope all goes well for you and you enjoy using the 'after' version.

Going from a SA 950 kg MRO van to a TA 1500 kg MRO van (1200 & 1800 kg MTPLM respectively) i found it a lot more stable, less being sucked/pushed around by coaches etc, not yet towed the Bailey with anything in it though, oddly enough, even though on the return journey i weighed 550 kg more, i didnt notice the extra weight, im still as slow as ever with probably under 100bhp!

Not reversed yet with it so cannot comment on that, but from what i hear it will be easier due to slower reactions.

Still getting to grips, but so far i am liking it, the old blown air in the lunar was a bit poor on electric, due to thermostat location,above the fire, so was never a constant warmth, and of course it was a dry heat, just got to figure out what my optimum daytime and nighttime temps are.

Lovely outfit . ... What ever you do don't do a 180 from a standing stop on the grass. Upset the Warden at Invercoe as I ploughed up his grass pitch. :blush: . . Good Luck with your new unit. ... Had a Big Twin Fleetwood Colchster for years . . Great stability on the road . ...

We've had, mostly, frame tents, trailer tents, folding campers, then our first caravan was a secondhand Avondale Dart 470/2 (2008 model), which we had for 3 years, then we bought a brand new Xplore 504 last year (although it was a 2015 model, it was brand new, and got a good price for it). We had to get the larger caravan as we couldn't fit the mainecoon cat (weighing 20lbs) into the Avondale, and he now has his own bed as well. We've been camping/caravanning now for just over 30 years. Gosh, doesn't time fly when you're having fun :)

Unless you are computer savvy the control panel on the Alde at that time is not the friendliest of beasts. Some good video on u tube for its more advanced bits. Enjoy.

I have seen an upgrade kit to the later touchscreen panel, not cheap, but possibly worth it?