Sign in to follow this  
Scorpio

Adhesive For Glass Door

Can anyone recommend an adhesive to fix the metal spring catch onto a glass oven door (the lower one for the pan cupboard). I have tried Araldite, superglue and car interior mirror adhesives but all have failed to stay attached.

You could try Halfords and get an adhesive pad for sticking the rear view mirror to the windscreen - they are usually pretty tough. Making sure of course that both surfaces are scrupulously clean, using alcohol or even acetone (not nail varnish remover as some of it has lanolin in) to clean them.

LocTite do a glass adhesive or for proper glass bonding then a UV curing adhesive is used. - I saw some UV curing stuff in The Range last week, comes with a little UV LED torch. Dunno how good it is though

You could try Halfords and get an adhesive pad for sticking the rear view mirror to the windscreen - they are usually pretty tough. Making sure of course that both surfaces are scrupulously clean, using alcohol or even acetone (not nail varnish remover as some of it has lanolin in) to clean them.

LocTite do a glass adhesive or for proper glass bonding then a UV curing adhesive is used. - I saw some UV curing stuff in The Range last week, comes with a little UV LED torch. Dunno how good it is though

i bought one of these -- never had any success with it, also has a warning that its carcinogenic.

I had a similar problem with a glass cooker top, car window adhesive was suggested by someone here and if it keeps your car window in place should be good for a cooker! Ended up buying polyurethane adhesive off ebay and it's now well stuck. Search for PU18, costs 4-5 pounds per tube

Thanks for the suggestions, I will give some of them a try.

Try asking your local Caravan dealer what they use, it's a common fault (the push open/push closed catches coming unstuck from pan cupboard doors.

The glue mentioned by Springtime in post #3 looks good stuff!!

Andy

Solved the problem at last.  Tried many of the suggested adhesives, but all failed within a few months.  It seems the pattern printed on the inside of the door is similar to Teflon !

Final product was High Viscosity Superglue from Toolstation (£1.23).  Repair has held solid and seems to be permanent.