Sign in to follow this  
Seaman

Sealant Removal.

Guy's, I need some advice please on how to remove some sealant on my 2017 Lunar Clubman. Last week I discovered the Truma Ultraflow filter housing was cracked and distorted when the caravan was built.

My dealer has over 100 hours of servicing work and can't fit me in before our 3 months tour of Scotland. I have decided to replace the housing myself and therefore bought a new one. I have managed to remove the cracked housing, but I'm having trouble removing the sealant they have used. The sealant is very strong and elastic like. Can anyone please suggest recommend something to remove it? I have tried white spirit, but the sealant just shrugs it off.

David

Are you seriously letting your dealer get away with it, plus paying for a part, then asking for advice on how to do it. This is exactly why manufacturers and dealers get away with murder. Dont accept it you are the customer.

Bob, they are paying for the part and the fitting is so simple. After weighing up the cost of running the caravan there and back, my free labour won.

• Like 2

Guy's, I need some advice please on how to remove some sealant on my 2017 Lunar Clubman. Last week I discovered the Truma Ultraflow filter housing was cracked and distorted when the caravan was built.

My dealer has over 100 hours of servicing work and can't fit me in before our 3 months tour of Scotland. I have decided to replace the housing myself and therefore bought a new one. I have managed to remove the cracked housing, but I'm having trouble removing the sealant they have used. The sealant is very strong and elastic like. Can anyone please suggest recommend something to remove it? I have tried white spirit, but the sealant just shrugs it off.

David

Not sure if this would work or do damage to the paint but UPVC cleaner used by double glazing companies, which is a fluid and non abrasive, might work its about £3 from a UPVC supplier I have some but the van is in storage so cant test it for you and not due to bring it back home for another week.

I intend using this to clean before fixing some plastic angle on the roof to help stop the water dripping over the windows

• Like 1

Try sealant eater/ remover available from screwfix.

• Like 1

Thanks bazona, will give that a go!!

The sealant used is RV61 and is very hard to remove, sealant eater/remover will not touch it!!

The only way is with a hard plastic scraper, sometimes helped with some heat from a hot air gun (VERY carefully).

http://www. screwfix. com/p/unibond-sealant-smoother-remover-tool/99849

Edited by Brecon
  • Like 1

Are you able to slice it away using a sharp knife or razor blade?

A very sharp wood chisel would cut it off but you would need to be v v v careful and work from the area covered by the Ultraflow housing outwards so as little potential damage where it will be seen. A bead of sealant around the housing will cover the original sealant line hopefully.

I agree that while it should not be necessary for you to do it yourself, sometimes it is just the best option.

Good luck with it and do go v carefully.

• Like 2

Whilst the above two "solutions" are very laudable, NEVER use a metal bladed instrument to remove sealant !!!!!!!!!!!!!

The caravan paint is very very thin and the damage you most likely WILL cause is not worth the bother.

I have seen the results many times, and its not covered under warranty or insurance !!!!!!

Edited by Brecon
  • Like 1

Never say never. Have done it myself in fact very recently. You have to be vvv careful as i have stated but as long as you have a small sharp chisel and as I say work behind what will be covered (perhaps in this case a couple of layers of duct tape to mask the surrounding area would be sensible) it can be done. You do not have to remove ALL the existing adhesive, a thin layer remaining is ok as long as you ensure it is clean (with brake cleaner) and even. The new adhesive/sealant will fill/cover any small undulations from the existing.

I fully agree that a sharp metal blade and a caravan are not best bed fellows but if you want to remove existing caravan sealant they can be used as long as you feel completely confident (which it appears the OP does) and as long as the area is small (which it is) it may be better than using varius products which may affect the paint, paint sealer if applied in the area being removed of the RV61 (or similar). As has been said ensure you do this on a warm day or heat (with a hair dryer) to 'soften' the adhesive slightly - you will be amazed at the difference heat makes (but DO NOT use a heat gun).

I removed the Buccanneer name plate above the front windows last month (with a sharpened wallpaper scraping blade of suitable rigidity I hasten to add) and also add this is something not to tackle unless you are confident BUT it was ok when sun was fully on the work-piece but became impossible without the warmth.

Edited by VOLVOVANNER

Thanks Guy's, job done!! I managed to use a razor blade to reduce the thickness of the sealant and then gently teased the rest off with a plastic Homebase scraper. The new Truma Ultraflow housing was an easy swap over, all tested and happy.

We can now head off on our long planned holiday to Scotland in 2 weeks with one less worry.

Thanks again for your help and suggestions.

David and Linda

• Like 2

Thanks Guy's, job done!! I managed to use a razor blade to reduce the thickness of the sealant and then gently teased the rest off with a plastic Homebase scraper. The new Truma Ultraflow housing was an easy swap over, all tested and happy.

We can now head off on our long planned holiday to Scotland in 2 weeks with one less worry.

Thanks again for your help and suggestions.

David and Linda

Simple task for a ex- submariner well done :D

Enjoy your trip up north, don't forget to take your passport and travel visa to get over the boarder :D

Cheers' kiaboy,

When we're done in Scotland, we will go into silent routine and make a run for the border. Will drop a few decoys on the run out!! ⚓

David

• Like 3

Don't go near Faslane or you will end up getting withdrawal symptoms.

• Like 1

Ha Ha!! Sea Dog very true. The last I heard, some of my old boats reside at Rosythe. I don't think they know what to do with them? I may go and see if they are there and then remember the great times and friends I had.

• Like 1