Sign in to follow this  
Kathy657

Niggles With New Caravan

Part exchanged our caravan for a new one 5 weeks ago ( the price difference was paid by credit card).

We've been out in it twice and there are lots of niggles.

Two screws fell out of the shower, which are so short they hardly screw into the top of the shower cubicle.

The toilet roll holder fell off.

The slats which you pull out for the bed keep sticking and it's a real struggle every night.

The plastic catch on the fridge door snapped off today.

The worst thing is the door to the bathroom today has a bigger gap in the centre than at the top & bottom, consequently the door catch now doesn't touch the door frame.

Where do we stand with these faults? Personally I'd rather it went back and I got my money back.

I'm going to ring the dealer after the weekend but just wondered if anyone else had had problems like this and is there any comeback on the dealer.

Apart from the door they are minor faults, but I think I may have a 'Friday afternoon van'!!

That sounds like a perfectly normal New caravan to me!

• Like 3

You must inform the dealer straight away and give them the opportunity to put them right.

As Dobloseven says, just a normal caravan but the dealer should have checked during the P. D. I. And put these things right. He will have to do now anyway, but to be honest, these are the little niggles that you can actually enjoy putting right yourself and have the satisfaction that at least you have done a good job.

The slats are sometimes a problem but can be put right with a simple modification. The fridge catch is easy, just get in touch with Dometic or Thetford, P. M. me if you want details of the slats mod. .....Peter

I think we were lucky with the last van as nothing went wrong. Yes they are minor and we are going to put slightly longer screws in the shower mounting.

The bathroom door is probably the main worry as we can't latch it now( it was OK until today) it's as if the door frame has moved slightly.

It is so annoying its time this situation was retifield.

We actually expect to get these issues on a new caravan, very depressing.

I think we were lucky with the last van as nothing went wrong. Yes they are minor and we are going to put slightly longer screws in the shower mounting.

The bathroom door is probably the main worry as we can't latch it now( it was OK until today) it's as if the door frame has moved slightly.

Some swifts are having the same problem, my last Bailey had to have the bottom of the door cut back as it was dragging on the carpet.

The dealer might by able to pack the hinged side off a little for you, but avoid a tight fit as during winter doors can swell a little.

Edited by xtrailman

It is sad to say that it is the normal new caravan.

Its probably our own fault because we continue to buy a less than perfect product.

Perhaps if more of us screamed and shouted and quoted the sale of goods act something would be done to improve things.

Don't think I'll ever feel confident enough to go away in any caravan, New or old, without taking my tool box!

• Like 4

Kathy,

There is one more thing to be aware of.

Don't lean on the kitchen worktop extension flap as the screws will pull out,they are very short.

After ours did it twice I removed the screws,drilled through the holes and the "wood",then placed a batten behind it and put a couple of coach bolts through and tightened it all up.

Ian

• Like 1

It's the norm for British built caravans but dis heartening I have had it with a lunar also with a Elddis super sirocco.

Make a list of everything that's wrong then email to dealer ask for a reply in email for them to explain their plan of action and time scale to rectify faults also if financed cc them because they are as liable under sales of goods act

• Like 1

It isn't financed. The cash difference of just over £5000 was paid by credit card.

It is disappointing, we too are having a few problems, our new Laser goes back next Friday, quite a few small niggles, and not all together happy with the ozio seating, used it for 10 nights, the cushions already look ten years old, we have told the dealer they have one chance to rectify all the faults to our satisfaction. We will have to wait and see, but I am not afraid to let my thoughts be known.

Kathy, hope you get your issues sorted.

Mark

• Like 1

To think some of these things cost north of £20,000 and it's just considered 'normal' to have problems with a new van. ..

sorry to read about your problems with your new caravan as you settled the balance with a credit card inform the credit card company of the problems As you have lot of back up with them as regards to warranty they will help with your consumer rights . Obviously inform dealer asap good luck

To think some of these things cost north of £20,000 and it's just considered 'normal' to have problems with a new van. . .

My thoughts exactly, hence we shall not be accepting it unless we are completely satisfied.

Mark

Part exchanged our caravan for a new one 5 weeks ago ( the price difference was paid by credit card).

We've been out in it twice and there are lots of niggles.

Two screws fell out of the shower, which are so short they hardly screw into the top of the shower cubicle.

The toilet roll holder fell off.

The slats which you pull out for the bed keep sticking and it's a real struggle every night.

The plastic catch on the fridge door snapped off today.

The worst thing is the door to the bathroom today has a bigger gap in the centre than at the top & bottom, consequently the door catch now doesn't touch the door frame.

Where do we stand with these faults? Personally I'd rather it went back and I got my money back.

I'm going to ring the dealer after the weekend but just wondered if anyone else had had problems like this and is there any comeback on the dealer.

Apart from the door they are minor faults, but I think I may have a 'Friday afternoon van'!!

Rub either surfboard wax or a candle on the bed runners might help.

Hi

We bought a new Bailey Pegasus Rimini in October last year. Great van but we did not realise the issues we would eventually end up experiencing. The van is back with the dealer for the third time to make repairs/amends. A list of issues so far:-

1. Centre window blind did not shut properly.

2. Main caravan door could not be opened due to caravan expanding in the sun. Door catch had to be adjusted.

3. Curved kitchen cupboard door under sink area replaced as catch mechanism fell off.

4. New bathroom door catch as could not open door. Back again to have this fixed!

5. Faulty main door hinge not aligned properly. Paint scratched off where hinge is catching on door.

6. Radio speaker vibrates.

7. Burning smell from heater when using electric.

8. Bent leg on main table.

But as I say we really love the van, and its layout, but these faults do test you patience somewhat.

Rub either surfboard wax or a candle on the bed runners might help.

Either way the customer should not have to do this as it should have been done at PDI stage especially as you paid extra for the PDI! Like buying a car and then finding out that you need to grease the doors so that they open properly.

• Like 1

Either way the customer should not have to do this as it should have been done at PDI stage especially as you paid extra for the PDI! Like buying a car and then finding out that you need to grease the doors so that they open properly.

Thats modern man for you.

In the olden days the main item in your toolbox was a candle, anything sticking got a rub with the candle without a second thought. No one expected a 'Man' to do it for them.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Pegasus have Polyplastic windows

New Health & Safety ventilation position, reduces heat build up which can cause plastic windows to bend

2. Main caravan door could not be opened due to caravan expanding in the sun. Door catch had to be adjusted.

Pegasus have Hartal doors

You must have a UK spec. edition, built for use where the sun don't shine.

3. Curved kitchen cupboard door under sink area replaced as catch mechanism fell off.

Presumably they replaced the door but used the same catch. I think I'd prefer the other way around.

4. New bathroom door catch as could not open door. Back again to have this fixed!

Wot? No new door this time?

5. Faulty main door hinge not aligned properly. Paint scratched off where hinge is catching on door.

There's a sort of door linked theme gradually appearing here.

One of mine does too. It's not the mounting but a problem using cheap speakers. It's OK if you turn the volume down, so only the bats can hear it.

Pegasus have Truma Combi heating

It may just be dust burning off the elements which happens on most vans. If it continues then it might be something worse.

To cater for use in an awning when pitched on a hillside.

• Like 1

We bought our van - two years old - in 2012.

At first service there were 18 faults all relatively minor but the dealer fixed them all. We noted that we were worried whether we had bought a lemon, so they promptly gave us 2 years extra warranty f. o. c. .

At second service 17 minor faults - and they picked up two more - and fixed the lot.

We had the usually Bailey wet front lockers which were also fixed, this time under Bailey warranty.

Since then not a single problem of any type. Indeed on the last two services they have reported the van 100% dry and no faults.

If you like the van and it suits your needs, stick with it. It will all come right in the end.

• Like 2

You must inform the dealer straight away and give them the opportunity to put them right.

As Dobloseven says, just a normal caravan but the dealer should have checked during the P. D. I. And put these things right. He will have to do now anyway, but to be honest, these are the little niggles that you can actually enjoy putting right yourself and have the satisfaction that at least you have done a good job.

The slats are sometimes a problem but can be put right with a simple modification. The fridge catch is easy, just get in touch with Dometic or Thetford, P. M. me if you want details of the slats mod. . . . . .Peter

You must be kidding! I found getting in touch with Dometic is next to impossible. When you do so they offer a complete door catch at a cost of well over £20 just to replace the little white plastic bit! We had to go via dealer with a warranty claim and all that palava for something that they surely could've just popped in an envelope. My belief is the catch isn't really 'fit for purpose' in the first place. Why add a weak plastic bit to an otherwsie steel catch?

Edited by Endeeo

Hi

We bought a new Bailey Pegasus Rimini in October last year. Great van but we did not realise the issues we would eventually end up experiencing. The van is back with the dealer for the third time to make repairs/amends. A list of issues so far:-

But as I say we really love the van, and its layout, but these faults do test you patience somewhat.

And you didn't even mention "Dreamsleep"!

You must be kidding! I found getting in touch with Dometic is next to impossible. When you do so they offer a complete door catch at a cost of well over £20 just to replace the little white plastic bit! We had to go via dealer with a warranty claim and all that palava for something that they surely could've just popped in an envelope. My belief is the catch isn't really 'fit for purpose' in the first place. Why add a weak plastic bit to an otherwsie steel catch?

Sorry! Don't shoot the messenger! Only a suggestion, the dealer should have sorted a free replacement under warranty anyway. ....Peter

We bought our van - two years old - in 2012.

At first service there were 18 faults all relatively minor but the dealer fixed them all. We noted that we were worried whether we had bought a lemon, so they promptly gave us 2 years extra warranty f. o. c. .

At second service 17 minor faults - and they picked up two more - and fixed the lot.

We had the usually Bailey wet front lockers which were also fixed, this time under Bailey warranty.

Since then not a single problem of any type. Indeed on the last two services they have reported the van 100% dry and no faults.

If you like the van and it suits your needs, stick with it. It will all come right in the end.

Thanks for that. Yes the van is great, and I am sure these faults will all be sorted. It is just disheartening when the caravan has been away more times to the dealer than we have had holidays!!

And you didn't even mention "Dreamsleep"!

No, don't have a problem with it.

Sorry, I couldn't resist.

Pegasus have Polyplastic windows

New Health & Safety ventilation position, reduces heat build up which can cause plastic windows to bend

Pegasus have Hartal doors

You must have a UK spec. edition, built for use where the sun don't shine.

Presumably they replaced the door but used the same catch. I think I'd prefer the other way around.

Wot? No new door this time?

There's a sort of door linked theme gradually appearing here.

One of mine does too. It's not the mounting but a problem using cheap speakers. It's OK if you turn the volume down, so only the bats can hear it.

Pegasus have Truma Combi heating

It may just be dust burning off the elements which happens on most vans. If it continues then it might be something worse.

To cater for use in an awning when pitched on a hillside.

Hmm. ...very amusing definitely too much time on your hands then :-)

• Like 1