robbie244

Wireless Camera For Caravan

hi all my apologies if this is in wrong place but i was unsure where to write it as im guessing its not a common subject,,

im considering buying a wirless rear view camera for my caravan and running it from my caravans 12 socket then a monitor in my car to view it live, my caravan is a 91 elddis pamperos xl and my car is a mk1. 5 ford focus 54 plate

any ideas on camera would be great as im currently looking at one on ebay thats a fold away screen, press button to popup type, thanks all in advance

This has been discussed before. ..I know many of us don't like the extra technology that needs watching in the car, even sat-navs.

geoff

Hi robbie244

I wouldnt be without my rear view camera.

Have a look at the thread "Fitting Rear View Camera Tips"

im considering buying a wirless rear view camera for my caravan and running it from my caravans 12 socket

Your 'van may be different, but in my Swift, the 12v sockets are not powered while the 'van is connected to the car. I would have to arrange a direct feed from the battery to run the camera that you propose. Best check before you make any investment.

You need a wireless bridge usually.

I've bought a kit from this site, using this bridge.

https://www. parkingcameras. com/store/product. php?productid=440&cat=69&page=1

Although i had mine delivered first week in Jan at around £200, it now gone up about £60!!

But my kit comes with the cheaper bridge in the first link.

Have a good look at the site to get ideas, my kit was ordered with a narrow angle camera for a permanent rear view, Cam22.

https://www. parkingcameras. com/store/product. php?productid=312&cat=10&page=1

You can do it cheaper but the bridge is still required, if you can find a cheaper one look for a DIGITAL one, or you will get more interference.

Cheapest and best system is a wired one like i had on my last caravan, faultless for six years bought from the same place.

hi all and thanks for replys, first i have no second plug on my car so no worries about the 12v use, if i turn on the caravans aux 1 the the control unit i can power the caravan radio and the 12v socket

also the camera im looking at are factory wireless and the monitor only displays the camera wen monitor is on though can use second av for something if needed

can u buy long cables to fit a wired camera as all seem to b 6m

Yes all on that site i posted a link to.

I bought a 15M one.

thanks for all advice given, ive decided on a wired setup and il buy a longer video cable wen i work out how short inc cable will be, aparently wired are powered from camera end so powered in the caravan and i can run single video cable straight through to car as it wil only b in use for towing, thanks again

• Like 1

Hi All. I developed a wireless wifi camera solution for shooting targets, but we have also used it on my caravan

groundzero-camera. co. uk

I position the unit looking out of the back window and it streams via wifi to my tablet in the car. also able to record the video and zoom in from the tabelt. I have also used this camera when testing the exteriot lights like break lights and indicators when sitting in the car. I have used it as a baby monitor when we have been away and sometimes a caravan security camera at night, as it has night vision upto 30 meters. :)

hi all i bought one off ebay last week and fitted it, wired to monitor on dash and its just under the vans reg plate but really pleased though not had her on rd to test yet lol

Edited by robbie244

hi all i bought one off ebay last week and fitted it, wired to monitor on dash and its just under the vans reg plate but really pleased though not had her on rd to test yet lol

Hi,

I've had a wired rear view camera for a few years now, the cheapo from eBay, monitor clips over rear view mirror.

My thoughts are if I was running a video cable to the car I may as well run a power feed too. Mine is a 1 year old caravan, bought new, so didn't want to also risk any warranty issues.

Couple of tips, I fixed the camera to the caravan with hot melt glue and left a good length of cable so that when the camera breaks ( on my 3rd) it's a quick and easy to replace, and by glueing the camera on there's no holes. The cables run in the cavity of the rear van outer skin the same route as the rear lights loom, entering via a number plate light hole. Length of stiff wire helps running the cable.

Second best tip, at the caravan to car use short extension cables for both video and power, I have 0. 5 metre ones with insulation tape at the plugs and sockets at the caravan hitch. This allows that when the plugs get dirty you can quickly replace them! Usually happened when hitching up. I now carry spares.

The car plugs and sockets are kept in the boot and when in use dangle out, I found this to be the best way again to keep the sockets working clean.

The camera I now use had a wire you cut that removed the coloured distance lines, it's not much bigger than 2 oxo cubes. (around a tenner) Absolutely priceless in use.

Once you have had tried a rear view camera you will never want to tow without

Edited by Simple Life

thanks simple life, o got my camera this week and even though not been on rd yet i love how it looks and wot it can do, its on rear screwed under the lights and power goes into the van to the ciggy socket and video goes under van tacked in minding the carvans stuff and brakes etc into the front locker then from locker to car wen in use

I got a set up a while ago for my last caravan and have just transferred it to my new van.

The screen is a clip over the visor type. The camera is fastened to the area just above number plate with the sticky pads supplied with it.

The wires run through the area for the number plate lights then follow the loom to the chassis member. It is then fastened along this till it comes to the front of the caravan.

The system then has a wireless transmitter that is wired to the front light of the caravan. This powers the transmitter and camera when the lights are turned on. The receiver sits in the armrest of the car powered by the cigarette lighter. a lead runs from it to the visor screen.

The set up allows me to turn off the camera by turning off the car lights (not at night time of course).

As the caravan has no rear window it makes seeing what is behind you a lot easier. Good for pulling back in when overtaking on the motorway. Camera has so far lasted a couple of years. Caravan is stored indoors though.

Guest LeicesterLad

" As the caravan has no rear window it makes seeing what is behind you a lot easier. Good for pulling back in when overtaking on the motorway. Camera has so far lasted a couple of years. Caravan is stored indoors though."

Hi all,

Are these gadgets named " reversing camera's " ? As I've not seen many advertised to be used whilst driving forwards.

Over the years I have owned many caravans with no front windows ! my present one does not have a rear window, most continental caravans do not have " see through " facilities.

If I were in need of a rear camera to know I'd safely overtaken another vehicle I'd pack up caravanning.

This my opinion and my opinion only. Happy caravanning, LeicesterLad.

I have a wireless rear view camera, but it's only for when reversing.

If I'm not sure I have overtaken something, I go a bit further before pulling back in. Having to look down at a small screen whilst driving at speed is not a good idea in my opinion.

• Like 1

My rear view camera screen is positioned so that I only need to move my eyes to see it. (I now understand why a head up display is so good).

I have to move my head to see in the rear view mirror and how far do you have to turn your head to see in your nearside mirror when you have overtaken someone?

• Like 1

Ive just fitted a twin lens wired camera to my caravan. . .

http://www. caravantalk. co. uk/community/topic/124050-reversing-camera-reversingcamerasuk-com/

kit-pm33-main-logo.jpg

Everything needed came in the kit. The mirror monitor is powered from the cars 12v socket, and it then sends power via the cable to the camera. This same cable also returns the video signal back to the mirror monitor. 12. 5m cable that I ran along the caravans offside awning rail to the front locker, and then a 5m cable in the car to the mirror monitor, then I just join the cables together when I hatch up. Very easy to fit. . .

35632930360_78413cf16d_h.jpg

Camera bolted to a piece of upvc that I bonded to the caravan roof. . .

35353250703_55f78dd01e_h.jpg

35720344880_fcd3f2120f_h.jpg

The upvc is bonded to the caravan roof with Sikaflex 512 so I didn't have to drill any holes in the caravan. I also bonded some plastic cable conduit to conceal the cable where it runs across the roof of the caravan. . .

36026269191_31c8d75506_h.jpg

The mirror monitor can switch between the two cameras. The narrow lens camera faces straight back, just like a rear view mirror. .

36266972375_365d917611_h.jpg

The other lens is wide angle and is facing down the back of the caravan so I can see whats immediately behind me when reversing.

36266973445_9754b805ce_h.jpg

Edited by LeadFarmer

i finally fitted a wired one a few months back and been out once and wot a difference it makes, wow

• Like 1

i finally fitted a wired one a few months back and been out once and wot a difference it makes, wow

Thats another one who is converted, i would be lost with out mine.

Think I'm going to fit one.

Mostly to help with rear corner swing on turning into tight gates. We have a long rear end on the van which combined with a long car can make tight turns interesting.

I can't understand why people are against them. If they help, then great. Presumably the same people are against parking sensors or external temp gauges and other potential distractions

Think I'm going to fit one.

Mostly to help with rear corner swing on turning into tight gates. We have a long rear end on the van which combined with a long car can make tight turns interesting.

I can't understand why people are against them. If they help, then great. Presumably the same people are against parking sensors or external temp gauges and other potential distractions

You won't see the corners unless you fit two cameras, one on each corner.

With a rear view camera you can see a car behind in your blind spot, and one about to pull out to overtake, and the traffic behind for some distance.

Even some reversing cameras won't show each corner IME, but will show enough for reversing, if fitted correctly.

• Like 1

You won't see the corners unless you fit two cameras, one on each corner.

With a rear view camera you can see a car behind in your blind spot, and one about to pull out to overtake, and the traffic behind for some distance.

Even some reversing cameras won't show each corner IME, but will show enough for reversing, if fitted correctly.

will need to look into this further

it doesn't need to see the full corner, just to give me an idea how close things are when the car is angled such that the mirrors become useless.

Having recently moved to a longer caravan along with a bike rack on the rear, I would have liked to see the corners my self.

I do know that facility is available because I remember reading a post from someone who actually did that, but it involved either cameras on the side or the corners.

Probably similar to what's available on some cars, all round view.

• Like 1

With the twin cameras on my caravan Im sure they could be separated and positioned to cover each corner if needed.

• Like 1